The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Feb 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #632 of 1,132
Quote:

Not necessarily. See for example the closed back DT 880 thread, were the common opinion is that leather pads brightens up the sound and gives lesser bass impact than the velour pads.

And some bass heavy headphones with velour cushions: Pro900, DT770/80 pro, HD 650....

Yes, the leather pads will brightens up the sound, but also will tight the bass and make the resolution and the focus a bit more clear. I would like to try my K702 with some angle leather pads. I'm not crazy about the GM velour pads on the 8.35, make the sound anemic, but maybe the K-702 pads on the 8.35 can change the story a bit. tigersinacage got a good result with the DT-770 velour pads.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #633 of 1,132
Quote:

Not necessarily. See for example the closed back DT 880 thread, were the common opinion is that leather pads brightens up the sound and gives lesser bass impact than the velour pads.

And some bass heavy headphones with velour cushions: Pro900, DT770/80 pro, HD 650....

Well I'm pretty sure that if you covered the velour with all these headphones that the bass will be louder, or the treble will be less loud.

It's not all about the covering of the pad, the padding of the pad is pretty important too. So that's why I think the velours of the beyers have another harder layer behind the velour. Or something more massive inside that does not absorb the bass.

Oh and I never understood why people call the hd650 bassy, it's pretty darn anemic next to the dt770 :p

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #634 of 1,132
Hi everyone!
I read most of the comments here and I got my gmp 8.35 d, 2 months ago. 2 weeks ago I started using Sansa Clip+, and I don't find the bass level enough. What can I do to boost the bass? Should I use a fiio e6?
Thanks for all replies.

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #635 of 1,132
^^ I actually just bought the e6 (again) for the sansa clip zip. It works really well! I wouldn't say there is more bass but definitely more clarity and punch overall.

And you can just use the sansa player's eq for more bass. I actually stuffed some open cell foam underneath the edge of the pad (oval pads). This hardens the pad and increases bass quantity and soundstage.

However this is far from ideal, soon I'll get the J$ pads and I think these will work much better.

You can also try the dt770 velour pads, people say it works well :)

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #638 of 1,132
Has anyone noticed the driver/cable imbalance in these headphones? I've noticed that the right driver is a couple of db's softer than the left driver, and it is quite noticable.

This is probably due to the cable connecting to the left driver first, and then going to the right driver. I've actually noticed this with all single cabled headphones. I did replace the cable, but it has been there with the original cable. I just wasn't this annoyed by it.

I might actually drill a hole in the right ear cup and attach the cable directly to it....

Feb 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #639 of 1,132
Quote:
Has anyone noticed the driver/cable imbalance in these headphones? I've noticed that the right driver is a couple of db's softer than the left driver, and it is quite noticable.

This is probably due to the cable connecting to the left driver first, and then going to the right driver. I've actually noticed this with all single cabled headphones. I did replace the cable, but it has been there with the original cable. I just wasn't this annoyed by it.

I might actually drill a hole in the right ear cup and attach the cable directly to it....

Are you going to split your microphone cable or get a new one?

BTW, I've tried the DT-770 pads. I didn't do back-to-back listening yet, but off the cuff it seems they're not as punchy as the oval pads. That said, they're comfy as hell. Seems like the problem with the oval pads is not the surface area pressed against your head but the sheer rigidness of pleather.
So... I don't know. Might try taking to needle next, especially since i've cut off and old pleather headband and started prototyping the new one.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #640 of 1,132
Quote:

Are you going to split your microphone cable or get a new one?

BTW, I've tried the DT-770 pads. I didn't do back-to-back listening yet, but off the cuff it seems they're not as punchy as the oval pads. That said, they're comfy as hell. Seems like the problem with the oval pads is not the surface area pressed against your head but the sheer rigidness of pleather.
So... I don't know. Might try taking to needle next, especially since i've cut off and old pleather headband and started prototyping the new one.

Pleather and leather will always have a warmer sound than velour.
I actually think the oval pads are quite comfy, and mine aren't hard at all? The pleather/plastic is thick, but the pad it self is very soft. Too soft actually.

So I did it, I drilled a hole in the cup, and attached the drive directly to the cable. Thie problem is that the ground cable is chained, and the left driver is earlier in the chain than the right. That explains the softer sound in the right driver (I think). 

Well I no longer think I'm a bit deaf in my right ear, and the right driver is noticably louder and tighter (more punchy bass is good). Also soundstage is quite a bit wider due to the balanced drivers.
It was risky, I drilled a hole in the cup, but it was worth it!

Can't wait to hear these with the J$s!

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #641 of 1,132
Man, you are playing with fire 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Well played btw, great job. You are happy with the results too, that's the most important part.

Can someone suggest me pads? I am not so happy with the stock ones and looking for something more comfortable. Beyer pads probably would solve it but still wanted to ask.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #642 of 1,132
Quote:
Man, you are playing with fire 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Well played btw, great job. You are happy with the results too, that's the most important part.

Can someone suggest me pads? I am not so happy with the stock ones and looking for something more comfortable. Beyer pads probably would solve it but still wanted to ask.

Well the oval pads are very recommended. But I'm trying out the J$ pads soon, I think they should work pretty good too. Actually any leather/pleather pad that's deeper than the oval ones should be theoretically be better.

The soundstage width increases a lot with the oval pads. But if the pads would be a bit deeper this should also affect the depth of the soundstage in a good way.
The pleather pads of the dt770 pro anniversary edition should work well, but not sure if you can get those. Maybe the hm5 pads (http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-earphones/brainwavz-hm5-spare-earpad-1pc). I would stay away from velour pads, these tend to make the sound brighter, and the gmp 8.35D is bright enough.

And yes, I'm a but nutty like that. If I get something in my head, and it's possible, I will do it. So far nothing really bad has happened, and I've increased SQ of multiple headphones by modding them:D
I'm actually into science, biology, I don't want to know what I'll cook up when I'm a full blown scientist...

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #645 of 1,132
Too bad I was really thinking about softy Beyer pads (velour). Seems like I will try the Maestro's 41-6050 oval pads.

Btw guys have you heard MrSpeakers new Alpha pads? Do you think it can fit on GMP 8.35D? They seem incredibly comfy I would like to give it a try.

https://www.mrspeakers.com/image/cache/data/mrspeakers/Edd_Alpha_Side_Square-500x500.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back