The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Jan 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #616 of 1,132
BTW, the Beyer pads are sold on Amazon. There's velour silver, velour black and leather black.

I wonder about the difference between the 770 velour pads and the GM velour pads though. I thought someone (maybe Acix) told that the GM velour pads thin out the sound compared to, say, the oval pads (41-6050).
And by the way, has anyone tried the stretch foam pads by GM (41-6015)? I got half a mind to get them but then again they're suspiciously cheap and they look like they might be too shallow.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #617 of 1,132
Quote:
BTW, the Beyer pads are sold on Amazon. There's velour silver, velour black and leather black.

I wonder about the difference between the 770 velour pads and the GM velour pads though. I thought someone (maybe Acix) told that the GM velour pads thin out the sound compared to, say, the oval pads (41-6050).
And by the way, has anyone tried the stretch foam pads by GM (41-6015)? I got half a mind to get them but then again they're suspiciously cheap and they look like they might be too shallow.

The GMP velour ear pads are rather small, too small for my ears to fit in. The DT770 pads are bigger.
About sound I can't commend, because of the fit issue with the GMP pads.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #619 of 1,132
Quote:
Just did the tissue paper mod, along with adding some DT770 earpads and a Fiio E17 amp. WOW. The difference is night and day.

Amazing soundstage, I was actually a little surprised. Before, to me they sounded quite similar to the HD25's in that they were a little closed/boxed in. Now, they sound very airy and open. The bass is still really tight, detailed and controlled. The slight treble spike from the DT770 pads has been countered by the tissue paper mod (which worked excellently) Also, the comfort of the pads is in another league to the stock ones. They seem really balanced now too. I use them for checking my mixes, before they were just a little coloured. Now, gotta say they're very good for that purpose.

Seriously, I would HIGHLY recommend trying this setup out. I've had a fair amount of different headphones in the past (Beyers, Denons, AKG's etc) this is now the perfect headphone (given its price). And it's closed back? Incredible..

Some pics:

This is what I used for the mod, basically just took a cheap tissue. As it usually comes in two layers, I peeled away one of them and stuck that to the foam.

How exactly did you do the tissue paper mod? Do you just put it under the black cloth stuff that's covering the driver?

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #621 of 1,132
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed/525#post_8773611

Awesome. Thanks!

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #622 of 1,132
A few new videos from GM,

The second vid is the JFB launch party for the JFB 8.35D. 

A bit more of JFB work,

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #623 of 1,132
Quote:
Just did the tissue paper mod, along with adding some DT770 earpads and a Fiio E17 amp. WOW. The difference is night and day.

Amazing soundstage, I was actually a little surprised. Before, to me they sounded quite similar to the HD25's in that they were a little closed/boxed in. Now, they sound very airy and open. The bass is still really tight, detailed and controlled. The slight treble spike from the DT770 pads has been countered by the tissue paper mod (which worked excellently) Also, the comfort of the pads is in another league to the stock ones. They seem really balanced now too. I use them for checking my mixes, before they were just a little coloured. Now, gotta say they're very good for that purpose.

Seriously, I would HIGHLY recommend trying this setup out. I've had a fair amount of different headphones in the past (Beyers, Denons, AKG's etc) this is now the perfect headphone (given its price). And it's closed back? Incredible..

Some pics:

This is what I used for the mod, basically just took a cheap tissue. As it usually comes in two layers, I peeled away one of them and stuck that to the foam.

With the DT770 pads:

Setup:

So you didn't feel the bass was gone with velours? I used other kinds of velour pads, those of hifiman, and the sound is sooo god**** bright. However soundstage is bigger and timbre is much more natural.

Since I've been listening to the HE-400s a lot the gmp 8.35Ds let me down a bit. With the oval pads I find the sound severely unnatural sounding. But this is probably because of the super shallowness of the pads.

I actually removed the paper, I found it removed a lot of clarity, guess I'm getting used to the sibilance or something?

I'm also getting the J$ pads soon, These are deep leather pads, so this should increase soundstage and reduce the brightness and tin-like sound.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #625 of 1,132
Quote:

So you didn't feel the bass was gone with velours? I used other kinds of velour pads, those of hifiman, and the sound is sooo god**** bright. However soundstage is bigger and timbre is much more natural.

Maybe because the Hifiman are open headphones, so the ear pads match that design.
The DT770 velour pads are designed for closed cans. They give in my opinion more bass than pleather/leather pads.

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #626 of 1,132
Quote:

Maybe because the Hifiman are open headphones, so the ear pads match that design.
The DT770 velour pads are designed for closed cans. They give in my opinion more bass than pleather/leather pads.

Velour for closed is not the same as velour for open, gotcha.

But leather by design provides more bass, velour is just one big damping surface absorbing all these frequencies. Except treble it seems.
This is why all the bass heavy cans such as denon, or b-e-a-t-s (don't say it out loud) use leather/pleather.

The velour pads of the dt770 probably have another layer beneath the velour to increase isolation. And this might decrease damping.

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #627 of 1,132
Quote:

But leather by design provides more bass, velour is just one big damping surface absorbing all these frequencies. Except treble it seems.
This is why all the bass heavy cans such as denon, or b-e-a-t-s (don't say it out loud) use leather/pleather.

The velour pads of the dt770 probably have another layer beneath the velour to increase isolation. And this might decrease damping.

I wonder if it's possible to make pads with leather within and velour when it touches your cranium 
rolleyes.gif

(As the next best thing, I guess one could try to paint the inner surface with something flexible enough.)

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #630 of 1,132
Quote:

Not necessarily. See for example the closed back DT 880 thread, were the common opinion is that leather pads brightens up the sound and gives lesser bass impact than the velour pads.

And some bass heavy headphones with velour cushions: Pro900, DT770/80 pro, HD 650....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back