The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,162 of 2,251
I need some help: I have the TFZ No.3 and love them after giving them some time to break in and also changing tips helped a lot with some harsher highs.

I am a bass head and looking for something with even more sub-bass. I’ve seen some graphs that show the TFZ Live X has even more bass and sub-bass than the No.3; can anyone confirm that or have a comparison between the two sets?

I’ve ordered the Venture Electronics Bonus IE Pro (VE BIE Pro) set that is supposed to have crazy bass (EE LX level bass) so I’ll be comparing all these together.
I love the TFZ no.3 and was also looking for a 'darker' IEM and look forward for VE BIE PRO. I didn't bought it and ended up buying Hi-Z G3 PRO instead as it's recommended by my Chinese vendor.
It is still on the way to my place so I cannot give further opinion. I also see it on Penon so I think you can take a look.

Dec 26, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,165 of 2,251
Don't have the Queen.

But the No. 3 is a bona fide basshead set, V shaped. Bass really can rattle the jaw in terms of quantity and subbass extension. The bass bleeds though, and isn't the tightest. What I didn't like about the No. 3 (and my reason for selling it), is that the upper mids get very shouty with louder volumes (fletcher munson curve). When u listen to a nice bass riff, the tendency is to boost the volume to get more headbanging bass. But this also boosts the upper mids and I can't tolerate it. YMMV though.

In terms of soundstage, the No. 3 isn't the best. Other technicalities like clarity and details and instrument separation are above average for a single DD, but if you compare it to equivalently priced hybrids/multi driver types at that price bracket, it isn't gonna be class leading. Timbre is also not the best for a single DD at this price bracket. One other thing is this IEM is highly sensitive, it hisses like a snake with some sources. It is very easy to drive though, on the flip side.

I spoke to some manufacturers and sellers, they claim the 19th is the same as the non TI regular No. 3, so just get the cheaper one, which is usually the 19th. At the asking price of the regular No. 3 at $100ish USD, I personally wouldn't recommend it, there's better single DD at that price bracket or even cheaper such as KBEAR BElieve, Toneking Ninetails, iBasso IT00, BLON BL-05S, KBEAR Diamond, TFZ tequila1, Urbanfun, Tin T2 Plus, HZSound Heart Mirror. I'll rate the TFZ No. 3 a 3/5 in the modern day context, compared to other modern day CHIFI. All in all, I find the No. 3 a one trick pony, it is very good for bass forward genres, but it gets found out in some other music genres.
What are you using as your basshead iem now you sold your No'3?

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #2,166 of 2,251
What are you using as your basshead iem now you sold your No'3?

Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 (I managed to buy a 2nd hand set with confirmed beryllium drivers), Tinkger TK300, iBasso IT00 and Mangird Xenns Up.

Jan 16, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #2,167 of 2,251
Urbanfun YBF-ISS014 (I managed to buy a 2nd hand set with confirmed beryllium drivers), Tinkger TK300, iBasso IT00 and Mangird Xenns Up.
Lucky you on the Urbanfun beryllium set! I ordered them twice, and ended up with the Noble drivers both times. Was not impressed. Traded 1 set for a BLON BL03. I've still got my TFZ NO.3 and still love it. My other basshead sets are the KBEAR KS1 and the new CCA CRA. I think all 3 are a big improvement over the Urbanfun Noble version. No issues with the wonky mmcx connection either, since both use 2pin to the buds. Sorry...but no more Urbanfun ISS014 iems for me.

Mar 6, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #2,168 of 2,251
As in the past, I bring you my humble opinion about the TFZ Tequila Pro.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tfz-tequila-pro.25739/reviews#review-28099

I hope you enjoy them.

TFZ Tequila Pro 14_resize.jpg

Mar 20, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #2,169 of 2,251
This insert came with TFZ No.3 that I got recently. It's a specs comparison of various TFZ models.

20220320_094929.jpg

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #2,170 of 2,251
This insert came with TFZ No.3 that I got recently. It's a specs comparison of various TFZ models.

20220320_094929.jpg

Haha that's pretty helpful stuff. I'm really confused about TFZ's naming convention. Like how did 19th edition of No. 3 come about when we didn't see most of the other editions??

But in general, TFZ's tuning is commonly V shaped/basshead stuff (there are exceptions of course).

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #2,171 of 2,251
Haha that's pretty helpful stuff. I'm really confused about TFZ's naming convention. Like how did 19th edition of No. 3 come about when we didn't see most of the other editions??

But in general, TFZ's tuning is commonly V shaped/basshead stuff (there are exceptions of course).
No.3 that I got is pure basshead IEM, it's pretty dark I don't hear any decent extension in high mids or treble. It's pretty good at what it does though, I recently compared with other basshead IEMs, VModa Zn and Campfire Audio Honeydew. It's not as good as Honeydew but was similar enough to Zn so I got rid of the latter. No.3 lacks sub-bass levels and texturization of Honeydew, but mid-bass punch is somewhat close.

The other TFZ I have is Live1 and it's tuned differently with flat bass/low mids and some decent extension in high mids allowing for decent energy. I think Live1 is a better all-around IEM, and its bass can be boosted with EQ to similar levels of No.3

May 16, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #2,174 of 2,251
All very interesting. The only set I have is the T2 Pro (the one they released with no cable) and it’s surprisingly good sounding. I wouldn’t characterize it as bass-head at all. It has a relatively mature and flat FR, which I take it is unusual for TFZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back