The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #616 of 2,251
FWIW. http://www.tfzither.com/work.html

The TFZ site have a brief introduction of each model. Apparantly the new T2 Galaxy is the upgrade version of Series 4.

Also, massdrop is dropping queen and king pro now.

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #618 of 2,251
And there's me looking everywhere for them lol! Must of came out today. Thanks for sharing these look very interesting. :)
$360.... Quite a jump for them and more expensive that the fiio fh5. Priced almost exactly halfway between the fh5 and ibasso it04. Will be very interesting to compare these as well as the new shanling me500....

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #619 of 2,251
I urge an esteemed member to take one for the team and order the SG 3 pronto... capish! :D

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #620 of 2,251
The secret gardens are in the house (ears) as I type this! They arrived about 2 hours ago, thanks to Amazon and their awesome 1 day shipping option. Very early, initial impressions are very positive. No brain burn in etc, needed. They sound very, very nice right out of the box. The first thing that grabbed me was the soundstage, and instrument separation, as well as the over all smoothness and refinement. I will post more detailed thoughts and impressions later in the week, after I get to listen to them for alot more hours. For now, I consider it money well spent.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #621 of 2,251
The secret gardens are in the house (ears) as I type this! They arrived about 2 hours ago, thanks to Amazon and their awesome 1 day shipping option. Very early, initial impressions are very positive. No brain burn in etc, needed. They sound very, very nice right out of the box. The first thing that grabbed me was the soundstage, and instrument separation, as well as the over all smoothness and refinement. I will post more detailed thoughts and impressions later in the week, after I get to listen to them for alot more hours. For now, I consider it money well spent.
Thats great early impressions! I'm soo tempted to get these. Would you consider these an upgrade over your dmgs from your initial impressions? The only thing that has been holding me back on the secret gardens are the mids because it's hard understanding Chinese reviews sometimes lol. I'm not sure how the mids sound I'm terms of fullness and placement and am really looking forward to your review later on in the week. Glad your enjoying them.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #622 of 2,251
I urge an esteemed member to take one for the team and order the SG 3 pronto... capish! :D
Don't let it be me. Come on, someone else take one for the team.

Is it too early to start spending my 2019 audio budget?

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #623 of 2,251
Thats great early impressions! I'm soo tempted to get these. Would you consider these an upgrade over your dmgs from your initial impressions? The only thing that has been holding me back on the secret gardens are the mids because it's hard understanding Chinese reviews sometimes lol. I'm not sure how the mids sound I'm terms of fullness and placement and am really looking forward to your review later on in the week. Glad your enjoying them.
I can definitely say they're a more mature tuning than the DMG's. My opinion on the DMG's are less favorable the longer I have them. I truly believe they were over hyped and won't be talked about for very much longer.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #624 of 2,251
Also, the DMG sounded decent initially, but their warts were exposed with more usage. That's why I try to not say to much about a new purchase until I really get to know them. In my opinion, the midrange is the DMG's biggest flaw, and that's a big deal to me.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #625 of 2,251

Is this the same model going on Massdrop these days?I

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #626 of 2,251
Is this the same model going on Massdrop these days?I
Yes, it is. I bought mine off Amazon though, for roughly 60.00 more so I could have them immediately, and for the return option if I wouldn't have liked them. They're a STEAL at the massdrop price, if you're willing to wait for the long shipping.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #627 of 2,251
So, I bite the bullet and grabbed a pair of TFZ Queens on Amazon. A little background on myself, I mostly use KZ's, have a pair of Sennheisers, and have been a bluetooth headphones fan since it was invented almost. I gotta say these Queens are pretty amazing! The design is really comfortable which can be lacking with KZs besides their newer transparent designs like the AS10 and ZS10. Never though a metal iem could be so comfortable! The sound is very clear and lively. The soundstage is a little lacking compared to my multidrivers but the solid single graphene driver preforms very well. I imagine it sounds similar to the ibasso that alot of people rave about. A couple of questions for you TFZ fans... Are there two versions of the Secret Garden besides just the different colors? I hear it has a larger soundstage as well so that's why I'm interested. If they sound like the Queen will a larger soundstage, I really imagine that it would sound as good as those extremely pricey iems. Also, are they multi drivers? I thought they had a balanced armature as well as the usual TFZ single driver graphene. I've tried to find out but alot of info is lacking on TFZ. Thanks for any info, folks! Either way, I'd say it's safe to say y'all have a new TFZ fan here!

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #628 of 2,251
So, I bite the bullet and grabbed a pair of TFZ Queens on Amazon. A little background on myself, I mostly use KZ's, have a pair of Sennheisers, and have been a bluetooth headphones fan since it was invented almost. I gotta say these Queens are pretty amazing! The design is really comfortable which can be lacking with KZs besides their newer transparent designs like the AS10 and ZS10. Never though a metal iem could be so comfortable! The sound is very clear and lively. The soundstage is a little lacking compared to my multidrivers but the solid single graphene driver preforms very well. I imagine it sounds similar to the ibasso that alot of people rave about. A couple of questions for you TFZ fans... Are there two versions of the Secret Garden besides just the different colors? I hear it has a larger soundstage as well so that's why I'm interested. If they sound like the Queen will a larger soundstage, I really imagine that it would sound as good as those extremely pricey iems. Also, are they multi drivers? I thought they had a balanced armature as well as the usual TFZ single driver graphene. I've tried to find out but alot of info is lacking on TFZ. Thanks for any info, folks! Either way, I'd say it's safe to say y'all have a new TFZ fan here!
The tfz queen are great! It just nicks the it01 for me.

Sep 29, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #629 of 2,251
Also, the DMG sounded decent initially, but their warts were exposed with more usage. That's why I try to not say to much about a new purchase until I really get to know them. In my opinion, the midrange is the DMG's biggest flaw, and that's a big deal to me.
I think the dmgs are suffering from QC issues because the 2 youtubers that reviewed them have almost opposite impressions. I have also messaged some other users of the dmg and same story. Half the users say midbass bloat that screws the mids and the other half say its fairly balanced with good mids. Hard to tell if it's being over hyped or some users are getting just getting unlucky. Either way my instincts tell me that the secret gardens are definitely an upgrade to these as it has very good consistent reviews. Not worth taking the risk on the dmgs tbh.

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #630 of 2,251
There is a single DD driver and a multi-driver version. Only the single driver has been released thus far. The stage is decently deep, and the layering is really well done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back