The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #601 of 2,251
I've always wanted to try a TFZ iem, but there are so many choices and without much explanation as to what's different between each model. Talk about difficult, haha.
I finally bought a series 2 from Amazon, a little while ago and I've been enjoying them since. I find them to be a good bang for buck purchase for the 45.00 I paid. They're good enough to give me the itch to try an iem from TFZ that's a little bit higher up on their hierarchy. Can anyone help me know which one is the direct upgrade to the series 2?

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #602 of 2,251
I've always wanted to try a TFZ iem, but there are so many choices and without much explanation as to what's different between each model. Talk about difficult, haha.
I finally bought a series 2 from Amazon, a little while ago and I've been enjoying them since. I find them to be a good bang for buck purchase for the 45.00 I paid. They're good enough to give me the itch to try an iem from TFZ that's a little bit higher up on their hierarchy. Can anyone help me know which one is the direct upgrade to the series 2?
I personally really like the tfz queen's which I feel would really compliment your other iems in a more vshaped manner. It has a smooth relaxed sound signature with a thick bodied nature. It has a lot of bass quantity but does very well not to bleed a lot over although there is some noticeable bloat. Vocals are great, especially male vocals which it produces in fullness and richness. However, the mids are a tiny bit behind the bass and treble. i know that you prefer a more balanced sound (what I'm looking for aswell, hopefully the osv3 will be the solution) and the only ones that seem extremely tempting from the tfz line from my extensive research is the tfz king pro and the tfz secret garden. The latter has very good impressions which has been said to have really strong bass that doesn't bleed over with lush sounding mids and generally a detailed and spacious presentation. I'm not sure if there midforwarded though like what your used to.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #603 of 2,251

I know you like your Nine Tail as do I. Before considering the Queen you might like to read this review by crabdog which includes a comparison between the two. Maybe you already have?

https://primeaudio.org/tfz-queen-review/

It was that comparison that prompted me to buy the Nine Tail. Meanwhile, I do have a TFZ coming. After reading all the reviews and impressions that I could find I have a TFZ Exclusive 3 on the way. It seems like it will suit me. I hope to have it in a week or two. I think it is still waiting for pickup at the moment. I am looking forward to receiving it.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #606 of 2,251
I know you like your Nine Tail as do I. Before considering the Queen you might like to read this review by crabdog which includes a comparison between the two. Maybe you already have?

https://primeaudio.org/tfz-queen-review/

It was that comparison that prompted me to buy the Nine Tail. Meanwhile, I do have a TFZ coming. After reading all the reviews and impressions that I could find I have a TFZ Exclusive 3 on the way. It seems like it will suit me. I hope to have it in a week or two. I think it is still waiting for pickup at the moment. I am looking forward to receiving it.
Thank you for the link, as I had missed his review somehow. I really am not interested in the queen, as it's signature seems to be the opposite of what I'm after and enjoy. I wonder if the nine tail is actually the upgrade I think I am seeking for the series 2, lol. I'll have to do some side by side comparisons of the 2 and see. I am still curious about the king, king pro, king limited, series 4 etc as to what the upper end of TFZ is like. Actually, maybe it's the balance one that @crabdog mentioned in his queen review by TFZ. Maybe that's the one I should look for. I do really enjoy my series 2 alot and am anxious to see how you like your exclusive 3 when it arrives. Please share your impressions then at some point!
Edit: I forgot the secret garden earlier. I am very interested in hearing more about them as well!

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #607 of 2,251
Thank you for the link, as I had missed his review somehow. I really am not interested in the queen, as it's signature seems to be the opposite of what I'm after and enjoy. I wonder if the nine tail is actually the upgrade I think I am seeking for the series 2, lol. I'll have to do some side by side comparisons of the 2 and see. I am still curious about the king, king pro, king limited, series 4 etc as to what the upper end of TFZ is like. Actually, maybe it's the balance one that @crabdog mentioned in his queen review by TFZ. Maybe that's the one I should look for. I do really enjoy my series 2 alot and am anxious to see how you like your exclusive 3 when it arrives. Please share your impressions then at some point!
Edit: I forgot the secret garden earlier. I am very interested in hearing more about them as well!
Yeah, unfortunately, I haven't heard any of the recent ones except the Queen. I do have the Exclusive King but never fell in love with it. I would love to know how the other King models compare. The Balance 2M still has a special place in my heart but I haven't listened to it recently. I remember it has some pretty big bass!

BGVP DMG > disappointed after the hype. Nine tail > love it. HiFi Boy OS V3 > love it.

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #608 of 2,251
Yeah, unfortunately, I haven't heard any of the recent ones except the Queen. I do have the Exclusive King but never fell in love with it. I would love to know how the other King models compare. The Balance 2M still has a special place in my heart but I haven't listened to it recently. I remember it has some pretty big bass!

BGVP DMG > disappointed after the hype. Nine tail > love it. HiFi Boy OS V3 > love it.
You know, the DMG has been getting less and less ear time with me lately. It impressed me initially, but it's flaws showed up the more I listened to it. I actually hooked up the mee audio btrx (spelling?) Bluetooth mmcx cable to it and only use it for working out and jogging now. Oh well, another overly hyped iem that will fade away shortly. They aren't terrible or anything, but I would recommend several others at the 150.00 price point before the DMG.
You have me interested in the osv3 too, but for some reason I've just never pulled the trigger on them. Thanks for your reviews @crabdog. I truly respect your thoughts and opinions and trust your ear.

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #609 of 2,251

Well the 2 I mentioned in the secret gardens and king pro are probably the most premium in terms of sound quality and tfz secret garden is tfz's flagship. They are not vshaped but mildly recessed according to most reviews. You could also look into the ba version of the secret gardens but that's not available in any stores yet afaik. Sorry quoted the wrong person was intended for @thejoker13

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #610 of 2,251
Well the 2 I mentioned in the secret gardens and king pro are probably the most premium in terms of sound quality and tfz secret garden is tfz's flagship. They are not vshaped but mildly recessed according to most reviews. You could also look into the ba version of the secret gardens but that's not available in any stores yet afaik. Sorry quoted the wrong person was intended for @thejoker13
You should probably try to avoid recommending things you haven't heard, it tends to upset some people :wink:

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #611 of 2,251
You should probably try to avoid recommending things you haven't heard, it tends to upset some people :wink:
Lol, I'm just filling him in on the whole tfz thing. We all know all there products sound very similar but the secret gardens and king pro get the most love and best reviews. I never told him to get it but to look into it. I only recommended him the queen's only 'if' he's looking for something more vshaped.

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #612 of 2,251
Well the 2 I mentioned in the secret gardens and king pro are probably the most premium in terms of sound quality and tfz secret garden is tfz's flagship. They are not vshaped but mildly recessed according to most reviews. You could also look into the ba version of the secret gardens but that's not available in any stores yet afaik.

https://penonaudio.com/tfz-secret-garden-3.html :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back