The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 26, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #586 of 2,251
Oh man, bummer. If it ever completely breaks, you can try to do the heat-unsealing method to open the shell up and re-glue the socket in place. If you were in the US I'd say send them to me and I'll try and fix them, haha.
I already got some different pairs to replace the king pros (CA Comet) but I'd still prefer the King Pro ... :p

I'm trying to fix it ... hopefully it works

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #587 of 2,251
Btw great review on the queen's! I just read your whole review and comparisons and it was a lovely read. It makes me feel soo happy about my queen's aswell which I love for its thick and fun sound! Also, my main reason for getting the os v3 was because of all the reviews I read and some people pointing out to me that it is more balanced then the queen's which is more vshaped. You could have a dud pair, because If it is much more vshaped then the queen's (stated in your review) then I'm in for a big disappointment.

Thank you! The term "balanced" is pretty loaded since it seems most people have a different impression of what constitutes a "balanced" IEM. So in a certain sense, I can see how one might call the OS V3 more balanced than the Queen. Buuuuut, the Queen's treble is more internally balanced than the OS V3's is. And the Queen's bass is better internally balanced than the OS V3's. But in terms of midrange sound, the OS V3 is cooler and more close to a "neutral" tuning. So that's probably what people are referencing when they say the OS V3 is more balanced.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #588 of 2,251
Thank you! The term "balanced" is pretty loaded since it seems most people have a different impression of what constitutes a "balanced" IEM. So in a certain sense, I can see how one might call the OS V3 more balanced than the Queen. Buuuuut, the Queen's treble is more internally balanced than the OS V3's is. And the Queen's bass is better internally balanced than the OS V3's. But in terms of midrange sound, the OS V3 is cooler and more close to a "neutral" tuning. So that's probably what people are referencing when they say the OS V3 is more balanced.
I get you, but I read on a lot of reviews that the queen's have more midbass then subbass whereas the os v3 is very linear here. I'll probably find out once I receive them.

Also, what is your recommendation for the best balanced iem under £200 that has full bodied sound which does vocals and bass well?

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #589 of 2,251
I get you, but I read on a lot of reviews that the queen's have more midbass then subbass whereas the os v3 is very linear here. I'll probably find out once I receive them.

Also, what is your recommendation for the best balanced iem under £200 that has full bodied sound which does vocals and bass well?

Did you ever read anything about the King Pro? I really liked it (till mine died ... sadly) I read that it has less bass compared to the queen and has better vocals. I'd love to compare them by myself.

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #590 of 2,251
Did you ever read anything about the King Pro? I really liked it (till mine died ... sadly) I read that it has less bass compared to the queen and has better vocals. I'd love to compare them by myself.
From some of the reviews I read, it seemed as though the queen's are better for vocals, especially male, when compared to the king pros. I'm loving the vocals on these it's just the other bits which aren't great like separation, attack and decay and there's a slight midbass bloat aswell. But overall an amazing iem in that price range for me!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #591 of 2,251

I am of the school of thought that a linear bass response isn't necessarily the best bass response. When it comes to producing lifelike sound, IEMs such as the Periodic Audio Be/Ti, neither of which have a linear bass response, have some of the best bass "balance" and sound, according to my ears at least.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #592 of 2,251
To me, with my collection of iem's i have/had Fiio Fh1 bass is the best bass, controlled, with slight punch and smooth too and it sounded as a whole~ no missing aspect

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #593 of 2,251
I am of the school of thought that a linear bass response isn't necessarily the best bass response. When it comes to producing lifelike sound, IEMs such as the Periodic Audio Be/Ti, neither of which have a linear bass response, have some of the best bass "balance" and sound, according to my ears at least.
Interesting... I think you like a full sounding midrange just like me. Most of the times iems achieve this by adding a lot of midbass quantity which can sometimes be detrimental to the sound. I am looking for a good balance here, to the point of the sound never bloating and being the fullest it can be. Under £150 I had a short list of dmg, os v3, secret garden, tsmr, anew u1 and the rose mini 4 after the reviews and chose the os v3.

Btw have you had the chance to listen to the secret gardens? If soo do you feel it is an upgrade to the queen's for at I'm looking for? Good bass, with no bloat, meaty midrange and not very dull highs. Also, I had a chance to listen to the periodic audio be at a store and it didn't suit for my personal tastes.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #594 of 2,251
To me, with my collection of iem's i have/had Fiio Fh1 bass is the best bass, controlled, with slight punch and smooth too and it sounded as a whole~ no missing aspect
When I had the fh1s I instantly loved the bass and lush mids. It was a great iem in that respect but what I really disliked was the highs which were a bit dark and dull for me and mainly the fact that it lacked coherency. I could hear the different drivers. But overall great iem!

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #595 of 2,251
Interesting... I think you like a full sounding midrange just like me. Most of the times iems achieve this by adding a lot of midbass quantity which can sometimes be detrimental to the sound. I am looking for a good balance here, to the point of the sound never bloating and being the fullest it can be. Under £150 I had a short list of dmg, os v3, secret garden, tsmr, anew u1 and the rose mini 4 after the reviews and chose the os v3.

Btw have you had the chance to listen to the secret gardens? If soo do you feel it is an upgrade to the queen's for at I'm looking for? Good bass, with no bloat, meaty midrange and not very dull highs. Also, I had a chance to listen to the periodic audio be at a store and it didn't suit for my personal tastes.

I have not. I'm trying to make my way towards acquiring them, but considering I no longer actively solicit review units (since my day job is now dominating all my time) I rely almost entirely on what is passively sent to me.

The Be is an interesting IEM, but it isn't quite V-shaped. I think you'd much prefer the Mg, which is the $100 model. Definitely, go try it and the Ti as each one of them have different-enough sound signatures to warrant a listen.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, here is my TFZ Queen review!
1*7dBMV3LF-wrKcKLDHsB_DQ.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tfz-queen.23335/reviews

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #596 of 2,251
I have not. I'm trying to make my way towards acquiring them, but considering I no longer actively solicit review units (since my day job is now dominating all my time) I rely almost entirely on what is passively sent to me.

The Be is an interesting IEM, but it isn't quite V-shaped. I think you'd much prefer the Mg, which is the $100 model. Definitely, go try it and the Ti as each one of them have different-enough sound signatures to warrant a listen.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, here is my TFZ Queen review!
1*7dBMV3LF-wrKcKLDHsB_DQ.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tfz-queen.23335/reviews
Thank you for the recommendations, I will try my best to try them on day!

Also, I think I figured out why your comparison between the queen's and os v3 sounds a bit off to me. I think you have the mmcx version of the os v3 which apparently has a different tuning with more upper mids elavation and more prone to sibilance. I think bass was a bit different aswell.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #597 of 2,251
Thank you for the recommendations, I will try my best to try them on day!

Also, I think I figured out why your comparison between the queen's and os v3 sounds a bit off to me. I think you have the mmcx version of the os v3 which apparently has a different tuning with more upper mids elavation and more prone to sibilance. I think bass was a bit different aswell.

Is that so? Well, then that probably explains it. Not sure why HiFi Boy thought it was a good idea to tune MMCX differently from their other versions.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #598 of 2,251
Is that so? Well, then that probably explains it. Not sure why HiFi Boy thought it was a good idea to tune MMCX differently from their other versions.
Don't take my word for it, but I stumbled across another reviewer that said he had tried both versions and the tuning was different. Also, most of the reviews I have read have been users of the 2 pin version. That could be the case why but I'm not 100 percent sure. Maybe hifiboy changed the tuning to remove that sibilance it apparently had.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #599 of 2,251
Don't take my word for it, but I stumbled across another reviewer that said he had tried both versions and the tuning was different. Also, most of the reviews I have read have been users of the 2 pin version. That could be the case why but I'm not 100 percent sure. Maybe hifiboy changed the tuning to remove that sibilance it apparently had.

Maybe. But then at that point, it'd be a completely different IEM by my standards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back