The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #1,426 of 2,251
Hi what sound signature and music preferences do u have? And budget?

IMHO the TFZ No. 3 has excellent quality and quantity of bass and is very non fatiguing to listen to.
But the bass is just a level short of basshead levels so i personally feel some people make not like it or it may not be suitable for some music genres like classical music. If u like bass driven music like EDM this is superb. It won't beat some multi BA iems in terms of details and clarity but for a single DD IEM, these are very good IMHO.

What multi BA do you mean?
Do you have any basshead rec up to 1000 USD?

Sep 11, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,430 of 2,251
Yes, you're right. I feel like that gets forgotten at times.

Also, sometimes maybe the gear sounds good because the music is really good (and well produced).

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #1,432 of 2,251
I bought a JVC FXH30 for about $35 and it's sounds much better than my old Shure SE215 that cost me $100, so I have every right to say the JVC sounds great for the money. I guarantee you my shure's did not feel insulted at all. You can't compare earphones to human beings.
Thank you. That was a better way to say what I was trying to communicate.

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #1,433 of 2,251
I feel like the defence lawyer for the TFZ No3. There are lot's of different tunings on TFZ iems. TFZ do like to have a good bass response in general. They are very clever and manage to position the bass in many different relative places on their IEM's (I have the No3, the King Exclusive upgrade and the MyLove 3). I hear the word 'Fun' IEM sometimes too, which also tends to devalue something about the IEM. Whether TFZ deliberately tuned the No3 as they did.....or struck lucky and created a particularly good tuning, the No3 bears up in comparison with all my IEM collection. Often some who really dislike the sound of an IEM may just have different brain wiring (fair enough), ear architecture or often unrealised Quality Control problems. For me a couple of pairs of earphones arrived 'wrong', but I accept they are not like what others say about them. Mine have a QC problem. So sometimes before articulating how poor you think an IEM is accept you may have a dud. I do agree there are IEM's that would suit better treble, such as some classical but the No3 will be for 'most' a really fine IEM. The No3's are a good IEM for 'most' people. Hereby rests the case for the defence.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #1,435 of 2,251
dharmasteve: Could you please give me a quick description of the sound of the MyLove 3. I am definitely not a bass head, although good sub bass is OK, but not heavy mid bass. I guess I am more of a balanced sound guy.

Although the my love 3 has good bass it is somehow spacially behind the midrange. Bass is very much there including rumble, just that it's position is behind the midrange. There is an almost slightly retro analogue sound to the mylove 3. It is not a bright IEM, but it has great clarity. It has more clarity than the No3. I can drive them from my Samsung phone or my FiiO DAP without a problem. I find it mid-range centric compared to the TFZ No3. If you like your bass forward in the mix the No3 has that characteristic. I use them a lot for vocal and mid guitar music, but it does have enough bass for me.

Sep 11, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #1,436 of 2,251
dharmasteve: Thanks very much for the reply. It sounds like it might be good for me, as I mostly listen to acoustic guitar and folk music, with some classic rock thrown in once in a while. Penon Audio has the new ISN Audio H40 hybrid (2 ba and 1 dynamic) on as their September special. $169 with $50 off. I'm trying to decide between the H40 and the MyLove 3. Thanks again.

Sep 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,439 of 2,251
dharmasteve: Thanks very much for the reply. It sounds like it might be good for me, as I mostly listen to acoustic guitar and folk music, with some classic rock thrown in once in a while. Penon Audio has the new ISN Audio H40 hybrid (2 ba and 1 dynamic) on as their September special. $169 with $50 off. I'm trying to decide between the H40 and the MyLove 3. Thanks again.
Between these two, if you want the more energetic one, get H40, otherwise MyLove III. Cheers!

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,440 of 2,251
Between these two, if you want the more energetic one, get H40, otherwise MyLove III. Cheers!

I have never heard the ISN Audio H40. As a separate issue I have the ISN Audio C16 and S16 cables and they are excellent. So ISN are very credible. It's quite difficult though not being able to try before you buy to compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back