The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #1,142 of 2,251
any first impressions?
Overall, a smooth & controlled sound with punchy bass, slightly laid-back vocals, airy treble & big soundstage. Based on first impression alone, I am quite impressed by the Balance 7 as compared to iSine10/20 (No EQ/Cipher), ME1. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #1,143 of 2,251
Overall, a smooth & controlled sound with punchy bass, slightly laid-back vocals, airy treble & big soundstage. Based on first impression alone, I am quite impressed by the Balance 7 as compared to iSine10/20 (No EQ/Cipher), ME1. Cheers! :)

Do you know the cost?

Jul 5, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #1,146 of 2,251
Jul 5, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,147 of 2,251
I’m digging planar Iems, p1 isn’t the top of the too but it does a pretty decent job, I’m
Quite interested in this one, I’ll wait for your review before pulling the trigger, how easy is it to drive?

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #1,148 of 2,251
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #1,149 of 2,251
I’m digging planar Iems, p1 isn’t the top of the too but it does a pretty decent job, I’m
Quite interested in this one, I’ll wait for your review before pulling the trigger, how easy is it to drive?
I can use it with my phone but of course, like all planars, they scale with more power. Cheers! :)

Looks great, is it fully open like the isine20, vented like the tinhifi p1 or fully closed like the RHA cl2?
It is fully open like iSine20. :)

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #1,150 of 2,251
That's kind of strange.... Didn't think I'd see that design duplicated at this point. Based on the specs, they are quite efficient, but to be frank, unless they can compete with the likes of the lcdi4 or RHA cl2 I don't know that I can justify spending this much on a tfz item...

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #1,151 of 2,251
That's kind of strange.... Didn't think I'd see that design duplicated at this point. Based on the specs, they are quite efficient, but to be frank, unless they can compete with the likes of the lcdi4 or RHA cl2 I don't know that I can justify spending this much on a tfz item...
Yea, the Balance 7 is efficient. Price of LCDi4 & CL2 are around 5.7 and 2.3 times more respectively though. Similarly, I don't expect the S10 Genie to rival my Kaiser Encore which is around 2.6 times more. It is good to see more planar options at more affordable price range to cater to more people. Something for everyone. Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,152 of 2,251
That's my reflection of tfz as a brand though. Customer service is bad (basically only through the sellers), and resale is limited.... It better be a damn good value in order for me to bite. I'm much more comfortable with the tinhifi p1 price of $170 as a pair of ???? quality and reliability.

This price point is really pushing it for TFZ unless they're really upping their customer service game. I have a hard time with the price point and the audeze like design, it seems like they're falling behind the times and trying to enter new price points that don't reflect their brand. Is say the same about a pair of $150 KZs.

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #1,153 of 2,251
That's my reflection of tfz as a brand though. Customer service is bad (basically only through the sellers), and resale is limited.... It better be a damn good value in order for me to bite. I'm much more comfortable with the tinhifi p1 price of $170 as a pair of ???? quality and reliability.

This price point is really pushing it for TFZ unless they're really upping their customer service game. I have a hard time with the price point and the audeze like design, it seems like they're falling behind the times and trying to enter new price points that don't reflect their brand. Is say the same about a pair of $150 KZs.
I guess it varies from individual to individual regarding customer service just like any other brands be it positive, neutral or negative. You are entitled to your opinion definitely but for me, I feel any brand will definitely need to improve/progress at some point in time. As for their latest releases, I am of the opinion they have definitely improved sonically. Cheers! :)

Jul 6, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #1,154 of 2,251
I picked up the TFZ No.3 in carbon from Massdrop. A good deal for $85! I’m looking to sell the FH1 and convert either this or the Kanas to a Bluetooth IEM with a 2-pin bt cable, and keep the other attached to a balanced cable for use with my DAP. Ideally, it would make sense to make the plastic IEM wireless but you see a lot more of the recessed style 2-pin than you do the TFZ outward style.

On the plus side, I finally found a use for the nice OCC 2.5mm balanced cable I got a couple of years ago that only works with TFZ 2-pin IEMs.

Looking forward to hearing the hype around the No.3 for myself. I’ve been impressed with TFZ’s IEMs in the past, but the tuning was definitely not for me (too bright). Reading that this is the best IEM that they’ve made is no small claim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back