The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #811 of 2,251
That is really sad. I wonder what happened to them. If you still want them, there is still one left on ebay where I bought mine a couple of months ago. I had first ordered from a store on ali but then they said they did not have it. This one arrived 10 days after I ordered it and I had tracking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TFZ-Exclusive-3/322542387668?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=511521342531&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That`s great, thanks, I just bought those as it was the last pair :beerchug:

I was actually going to buy from lendmeurears as I've bought from them in the past (vsonics) but it`s more expensive on their site with no free shipping so would have cost 10 GBP more.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #812 of 2,251
That`s great, thanks, I just bought those as it was the last pair :beerchug:

I was actually going to buy from lendmeurears as I've bought from them in the past (vsonics) but it`s more expensive on their site with no free shipping so would have cost 10 GBP more.

Yes I knew it was the last pair. Luckily a lurker did not see my post and buy them:) I think there were three when I bought mine.

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #813 of 2,251
Yes I knew it was the last pair. Luckily a lurker did not see my post and buy them:) I think there were three when I bought mine.

I think you`ve got the ibasso IT01 like me. How does the TFZ compare in sound and comfort?

Nov 27, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #814 of 2,251
I think you`ve got the ibasso IT01 like me. How does the TFZ compare in sound and comfort?

I really don't know how to answer that. I can't compare iems because it hurts my ears to keep taking them in and out and in and out to a/b this and that. I enjoy them both. When you get them, you can answer that question for me:)

I will listen with the TFZ later tonight and maybe try to say something about just them.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #815 of 2,251
I really don't know how to answer that. I can't compare iems because it hurts my ears to keep taking them in and out and in and out to a/b this and that. I enjoy them both. When you get them, you can answer that question for me:)

I will listen with the TFZ later tonight and maybe try to say something about just them.

No worries. :) I hope they come with some wide bore tips, they`re the only ones on my ibassos that give me proper bass.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #817 of 2,251
No worries. :) I hope they come with some wide bore tips, they`re the only ones on my ibassos that give me proper bass.

They come with quite a few tips. If by wide bore you mean the opening then yes they do...and double flange ... and foams I have RHA on mine at the moment but I can't remember why. I might be trying some others tonight.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #818 of 2,251
DRuM: If it was me, I would go to your local post office with a copy of the emails between you and Penon Audio and find out what is wrong with your address situation.

Yeah, I did all that through the summer with no success, basically got fobbed off by Royal Mail. In the end, I was told by Royal Mail that Penon is the postal service customer that has to sort out the problem and that it's not for me to get involved. There's actually nothing wrong with my address either.

I had the same problem with Fasttech in Hong Kong at the same time of year when I ordered some vaping gear. I had no problem with them when I ordered in 2014 to the same address. But this time, nothing arrived. Then a few months later, they got compensated and then resent the items to me and they arrived fine.

I don't know why Penon never got compensated or received the second pair but my feeling is that someone in Royal Mail stole the first pair or delivered to the wrong address without getting a signature, and someone somewhere stole or misplaced the second pair after they had said it had been returned from UK back to Penon. The whole thing was a bit of a farce.

They come with quite a few tips. If by wide bore you mean the opening they yes they do...and double flange ... and foams I have RHA on mine at the moment but I can't remember why. I might be trying some others tonight.

Good to hear, thanks. :)

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #819 of 2,251
Good to hear, thanks. :)

I did try different tips on my Exclusive 3 tonight. I had just bought them from ebay a couple of weeks ago.. generic sony type ones. Shipped quickly here in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-Bla...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sounding really good... certainly enough bass for my taste. The bass I am expecting in certain songs is there... and so is everything else. Enjoyed a few albums tonight. They were comfortable for several hours... finally took them out because I needed to eat something. Can't eat with iems in. BTW, they are not really red and blue.. they are red and purple and the purple goes in the right ear. they look good with the silver colored metal faceplate. Too bad they are so hard to find. I think Massdrop had them a couple of times and that is where they went.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #820 of 2,251
I did try different tips on my Exclusive 3 tonight. I had just bought them from ebay a couple of weeks ago.. generic sony type ones. Shipped quickly here in the UK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-x-Black-Medium-Replacement-Earbuds-Earpads-Silicone-Earphone-Tips-Sony-Beats/122303068880?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Sounding really good... certainly enough bass for my taste. The bass I am expecting in certain songs is there... and so is everything else. Enjoyed a few albums tonight. They were comfortable for several hours... finally took them out because I needed to eat something. Can't eat with iems in. BTW, they are not really red and blue.. they are red and purple and the purple goes in the right ear. they look good with the silver colored metal faceplate. Too bad they are so hard to find. I think Massdrop had them a couple of times and that is where they went.

Thanks for posting that. Yeah, I struggle to eat with IEMs in. Chewing is too loud, lol. Interesting, I only enjoy the widest bore tips that come with the ibasso, the holes are as wide as the iem grill posts. But maybe it will be different on the TFZ when I get mine, maybe I won't need such wide bore. By the way, if I ever wanted to buy replacement wide bore, I can't find any that look the same.

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #821 of 2,251
Thanks for posting that. Yeah, I struggle to eat with IEMs in. Chewing is too loud, lol. Interesting, I only enjoy the widest bore tips that come with the ibasso, the holes are as wide as the iem grill posts. But maybe it will be different on the TFZ when I get mine, maybe I won't need such wide bore. By the way, if I ever wanted to buy replacement wide bore, I can't find any that look the same.

I use the same wide bore on the iBasso that you do.

You won't need to replace it if you don't lose it. I will look at them tomorrow and see if I have anything else that is similar.... we have thousands of tips here.. at least it seems like it.. with all the iems we both own plus different ones that we have bought. Do you use large or medium or small?

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #822 of 2,251
I use the same wide bore on the iBasso that you do.

You won't need to replace it if you don't lose it. I will look at them tomorrow and see if I have anything else that is similar.... we have thousands of tips here.. at least it seems like it.. with all the iems we both own plus different ones that we have bought. Do you use large or medium or small?

Thanks matey. I use large. But don't worry, I've got enough tips here for now.

I just tried my vsonics, and I use similar tips as the generic sony ones you linked. A friend sent me these tips a couple of years ago.

20181128_171110.jpg

One ear is usually intermittent but fortunately it worked fine for my test. There's more bass than I remembered, very solid and punchy. I don't know, maybe the white stalk in the centre makes a difference.

Then I put the wide bore tips from my ibasso on them and very similar although even punchier bass with them. Hmm, thinking about it, I think I've still got my vsonic packaging, maybe there's some wide bore tips in there.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #823 of 2,251
I got refunded from Penon Audio, except when I looked at my Paypal account, it didn't say $59, it said $55.51. Penon told me it's Paypal charge fees. So when someone gets a refund for a faulty item or an item the never got delivered, Paypal fees are passed onto the buyer? That doesn't seem right. I've accepted it now and will move on. I appreciate Penon may never get compensation for the two pairs they sent me so I can't really say much else to them.

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #824 of 2,251
I got refunded from Penon Audio, except when I looked at my Paypal account, it didn't say $59, it said $55.51. Penon told me it's Paypal charge fees. So when someone gets a refund for a faulty item or an item the never got delivered, Paypal fees are passed onto the buyer? That doesn't seem right. I've accepted it now and will move on. I appreciate Penon may never get compensation for the two pairs they sent me so I can't really say much else to them.

There has been discussion on some other threads warning against letting the seller refund you through paypal.

Nov 30, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #825 of 2,251
There has been discussion on some other threads warning against letting the seller refund you through paypal.

Interesting. From what you're saying, I'm guessing others have been stung in the same way. I bought the TFZ from Penon through Paypal, but of course it never occurred to me that I would lose a few dollars by getting refunded through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back