The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Reviews and Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #783 of 2,251
Fawzay: I had a chance this weekend to test the positions out again, and this is what I hear: Enhanced highs with normal lows both switches up gives good highs, good lows, good mids, and moderate soundstage. Enhanced highs and normal lows with 1 switch up and 1 down gives me the same as the other enhanced highs and normal lows, but thickens the mids (slightly muffles vocals) and not as wide a soundstage. Finally your favorite enhanced highs and enhanced lows give me good highs and lows, thickens mids, but not as much as the other position I mentioned, and lastly it greatly increased the soundstage, especially the width. For me, it's a tie between both switches up (clarity and details) and your increased soundstage.

Nov 5, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #784 of 2,251
So I just received a TFZ Secret Garden Dual-Dynamic and I think that it is worth the $200 for those who want a v-shape-sound, lots of details, and a spacious presentation. I have read a few posts, where QC was a problem with this TFZ, and I am glad that there were not any immediate problems with mine.

Owning a KZ ZSA and seeing many complain about KZ with their QC problems and issues to meet cheap prices, I can see why there are more vocal frustrations with TFZ and their QC issues. With a KZ, if that thing breaks off a piece of housing or burns out a driver or two, you can say “Oh well, it was worth the ride”, as a vast majority of KZs are $20 and under. However, with a TFZ, a burned out driver can make a listener hurt quite a bit with their offerings being typically much higher in price than a KZ, leaving the customer feel similarly burned on their pricey piece of portable audio.

Regardless, at least TFZ is still attempting to make a higher quality product than other companies to add even more chi-fi-bang-for-your-buck to your auditory appetites. I mean, if you needed to add some serious high quality portable sound to your already-stuffed camping/trekking/survival pack and won’t be back for an eternity, then the TFZ Secret Garden Dual-Dynamic is an extremely solid choice for an extremely-versatile-and-highly-detailed Audio Swiss Army Knife.:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #786 of 2,251
I have order the SG1 from Massdrop and had enjoyed it for about a month. I have the RHA CL1 and I do not hear the problem of over piercing highs. Instead I hear extreme spacious and well focused vocals and positioning and layering of instruments. You need a desktop amplifier or a really good portable amp to control the high impedance earphone. I had been using an Acoustic Research M2 for more than 2 years and the warm Class A output of the M2 drives the CL1 nicely, even better with the Vorzamp Pure II+ portable amplifier. I found the SG1 very close in character to the CL1, but with only 30 ohm impedance, it is much easier to drive than the CL1. The SG1 is a monitor, that is, its design is more towards being pure and technical than being musical. That is probably due to the characteristic tone of the graphene membrane. It just honestly brings out each bit of sound frequency clearly in the music, without any coloring. The lows are very much extended with a lot of mid bass that gives one an energetic feel. The mids are clear, but a bit colder than CL1 and smoother, not as analytic as the latter. Perhaps I have been adapted to the very extended and metallic highs of the CL1, I found the highs of the SG1 a bit recessed and not smooth enough. That said, the soundstage and layering of the SG1 is typical of a very good dynamic driver. Depth is a bit deeper than the width, but the soundstage very holographic. To me, it is a good replacement for CL1 when I am on the go and do not want to carry an amp. However, it is very strange that even M2 is not able to control the bass of the SG in the same way it does well on the CL1. The M2 can bring out the mid bass of the CL1 without an amp, just not the deepest part of it. With SG1 however, M2 seems to be struggling to release the bass. When I added the Vorzamp Pure II+, everything is beefed up, with deep extension of the lows and drums strike with authority. The mids can never be said to be recessed. It is just smooth and transparent, and vocals sounds very natural. The highs are still a bit recessed as compared to CL1. With my LG G7+ thinQ, the sound is too bright as both LG and the SG1 have a slightly cool tone. Without activating the built-in amplifier in the LG, the bass is under delivered. My conclusion is that the SG1, regardless of its low impedance, still requires a powerful amp stage to drive the dual-coil dynamic drivers. The SG1 costs only a third of the CL1, what more can one ask for? The best thing that I like about the SG1 is that it is less analytical than the CL1 and work better than CL1 with badly recorded pop songs, or old classics, without as much roughness or harshness.

That is not the end of the story yet. I recently order a DIY Xsymphony cable using mixed bundled copper and silver wires for the SG1 and the improvement in sound is staggering. Now the M2 is able to bring out the lows and the mids are slightly thickened and sweetened, and highs are extended. The overall effect is like adding a tube preamp in the upstream. At less than half the cost of SG1, this is a very worthy upgrade and the SG1 sounds excellent with my LG G7 thinQ cell phone. I would suggest owners of the SG1 to upgrade the cable with a thicker copper core and some silver to give more meat to the highs. I have also auditioned the SG3 for a few days. I am a audiophile and to me, my initial preference leans more towards the SG1 after cable upgrade. The SG1 well worths much more than its asking price. While the Knowles BA drivers in the SG3 do sound musical (which also means mellow and a bit veiled in my book) compared to the SG, the spatial cue of the instruments and sense of reality of the soundstage for multi BA drivers does not come close to that of a well designed dynamic as good as that in the SG1. Considering that the SG3 costs twice as much as the SG1, and there are a lot of choice of iems in $the 300 range, I will try more options with the switches in the SG3 in the next few days to see if it will be a keeper for me.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #787 of 2,251
The Queens have a bit too much treble for me ... any advices on eartips which I could try to reduce the treble? I don't like Foams ...

If the Queens have too much treble, then you really will hate all the other TFZ. The Queens are probably the most mid centric iems from tfz. You might check out the bass head thread or something else.

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #793 of 2,251
I tried my symbios but it just doesn't sound right ... maybe I should try the JVC Spiral dots
Maybe try KZ Starlines if you have some. I don't have the Queens, but I am tip rolling on the T2 Galaxy at the moment. I am pretty sure that foams are the right pairing for me. But, out of the silicone tips I tried, Starlines had the most subdued treble, but made the mid bass too bloated for me.

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #795 of 2,251
I now tried all my tips again and ended with the Final E Type Tips. I didn't think of them because I disliked them on my comets ... but I'll also order a set of sony hybrid and jvc spiral dots :)

Did that resolve the treble issue? Which Sony are you going with? Do the comets sound decent? I was thinking of trying one of CAs models. I heard the Atlas is too heavy and falls out quite a bit but maybe the Andromeda is an option if it seals nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back