The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Aug 5, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #123 of 787
I have a question about streaming audio. I just got a new Sony SRS-x77 and when connected to my home network via either Wi-Fi or LAN cable, I can see it on my windows computer. I can "playto" just fine through windows and can use my galaxy s4 mini with Bubbleupnp to stream music to it just fine as well.

What I can't do however is use foobar2000 in windows to find the device, it doesn't show up. Any idea why? Under View-->upnp controller in foobar, my yamaha receiver populates (which I use all the time and have been for a while) as does my Sony TV...but not the srs-x77.

Any thoughts?

Do I have to tell foobar the device is there?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #124 of 787
Hello all,

I've just recently invested in a Marantz HDDAC-1 and a set of Sennheiser HD700's. Like everyone else, I want to make sure I'm getting the best sound I can, without constantly flipping settings. I'm not new to foobar, but am when it comes to streaming PCM/DSD audio. I'll start off by saying that everything is working and I'm getting good sound, but I can't help by wondering if I've got everything setup right. Bit Rate settings, Bit Depth, ASIO, and SACD, etc..., I would like some advice on the best settings, and perhaps some help with playing DXD (if it's even possible with my unit, I can't seem to get any to work). If anything, I would love some explanations to what the various options mean (specifically Output Devcie and DSD2PCM options...)

So, I've downloaded and installed the WASAPI, ASIO, and SACD plugins and can play every format (DSD64/128/256, .iso, .dsf, flac, etc....) except DXD. 

Here are a few of my hang ups: (related to my specific DAC)

1) Under Playback>Output: (5 options)
Buffer Length: 180ms

ASIO: Marantz ASIO Device
DS: Digital Audio Interface (2-Marantz USB Audio)
KS: Marantz USB Audio Wave
WASAPI (Event) Digital Audio Interface (2-Marantz USB Audio)
WASAPI (Push) Digital Audio Interface (2-Marantz USB Audio)

Which one do I use? All work, but only a few (like KS: Marantz Audio Wave) have a noticeable immediate difference. What do DS and KS stand for?

2) Under ASIO drivers, I've checked to use 64-bit drivers and to run with High Process Priority

3) Under SACD:

Output Mode: PCM
PCM Volume +6db (too much?)
PCM Samplerate: 176400 (highest that works, next up is 352800 which doesn't work)
DSD2PCM: Multistage (double-precision) - I have no idea about these....
Preferable Area: Multi-channel

Other info:
There are no active DSP's

Thanks in advance folks!

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #125 of 787
Looks to me like your DAC still receives a PCM stream.

Configuring foobar to play native DSD is a bit of a pain. You can use this link as a guide, but maybe Marantz gas it's own setup instruction somewhere. Most steps will be the same, just in the foo_dsd_asio dialog you need to point to the ASIO driver for your DAC and the DSD Playback Method may be different.

Aug 16, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #126 of 787
  Looks to me like your DAC still receives a PCM stream.

Configuring foobar to play native DSD is a bit of a pain. You can use this link as a guide, but maybe Marantz gas it's own setup instruction somewhere. Most steps will be the same, just in the foo_dsd_asio dialog you need to point to the ASIO driver for your DAC and the DSD Playback Method may be different.

Thanks for the link, but I'm still having trouble. I'm able to select DSD (in stead of PCM), but it grays out all other options except for [Preferable Area] (PCM Volume, PCM Samplerate, & DSD2PCM mode all unclickable). The only change is that, when selected, I am able to hear the DSD (and my player actually registers it as a DSD on the front panel), but the sound is awful. There is music there, but mostly static and digital artifacts. I've played around with different [playback methods] under the ASIO menu, but none help. Native and DoP are as I describe, while DSx and exD are only digital noise, no music.

I will say there was one thing different in the install of the SACD Decoder plug-in and the instructions. After double-clicking the ASIOProxyInstall.exe file, there was no foo_input_sacd.dll file to be found in the unpacked directory or in Foobar's component directory. foo_dsd did not show up under ASIO and the DSD's I have would not play at all. On a lark I did a search for it on my computer and found it buried somewhere. I then copied it over to the component directory and then restarted with the results listed above. 

My DAC (Marantz HDDAC-1) is supposed to decode DSD natively.....

Aug 16, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #127 of 787
The static in output could be a result of buffer underruns. Try opening your native ASIO config panel and increasing the buffer. I have no experience with the Marantz, but in my Hilo I found that to play native DSD I need a really large buffer.

The SACD dialog is doing the right thing: when you play DSD natively, the options related to conversion from DSD to PCM are not applicable. You only need them if you want f2k to convert the stream to PCM.

Aug 17, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #128 of 787
Well, I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it works perfectly now. I had a brainwave that since the foo_input_sacd.dll file wasn't present in the directory after install of the proxy file, I shouldn't have put it  in manually. So, I deleted and restarted. Still didn't help, but after playing around with the DSD Playback method for the umpteenth-time, it started working. So, I installed foo-jesus to save my settings and and leaving it alone. Thanks again for the help!

Aug 21, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #130 of 787
Ok, so I've got a new issue:

Why does it take so long (sometimes never) for playback to start in Foobar? Rather than using the media directories in FB, I prefer to navigate and select my collection via Window Explorer folders. About half the time my files start immediately (or close to it), but the other half the files could take as little as 15 seconds to start, a minute or more, or sometimes not at all. Sometimes it says that it "can't create ASIO buffer".

This even happens if I select a group of files for queuing in foobar (.FLAC, .DSS, .MP3,  or ISO) and decide to jump to another track....it'll say "playback starting" in the lower left corner but takes ages to start. On a few occasions it never starts and I have to shut down FB. I don't believe the issue is with my DAC (Marantz HDDAC-01) as I can choose the same files to play in another player and they start immediately every time. Is there a way to improve startup speed?

Here are my stats:

Windows 10
Foobar2000 v. 1.3.8
ASIO: foo_out_asio
Buffer: 17,860ms
Driver: ASIO Driver: Marantz ASIO Device
DSD Playback Method: ASIO Native
Output mode: DSD

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #132 of 787
Thanks, that seems to help. I also realized that the longest delays were because of pop-ups/ads in my browser taking control of my DAC between albums. My DAC unlocks between tracks ( or even when jumping around in a track) giving just enough time for another source to take over. Super annoying.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #134 of 787
All of the sudden my SACD ISO's are skipping ahead every 4 seconds. It was working fine, but after I installed the command-line plug in for ffmpeg decoding and Monkey audio decoder it started acting up. I removed them, but the problem persists. Anybody know how to fix this?

Sep 27, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #135 of 787
OK,
another autoplaylist question,
basically I want to find all albums with MFSL or SHM, which are written in the filename,
so I try with: %filename% HAS MFSL OR SHM, but I got syntax error, when I try with only one label the playlist is created ok,
any help?
thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back