The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Apr 24, 2016 at 4:31 AM Post #256 of 787
Need serious help here.

I ripped CDS using EAC to wav........sound pretty good but not wow wow fantastic to me.
So thinking is the problem with my laptop sound card?

Or will ripping CDs to wav with Foobar do the trick? i tried google and followed the instruction...gives me errors!! Even converting to flac gives me errors!!!!:frowning2:
Playing with Foobar makes my CDs sound wayyyy better.

Help help,

L3000.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #257 of 787
Both rippers will sound the same as long you are not manipulating audio afterwards (DSP\EQ\Volume change). I have tested DBPoweramp, EAC, Foobar2000 and Cuetools ripper with a clean disc and all the outputs are exactly the same, checked with checksums, all match.

Any chance of getting a screenshot of your foobar2000 error or could you provide a step by step of what you are doing?

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #258 of 787
Both rippers will sound the same as long you are not manipulating audio afterwards (DSP\EQ\Volume change). I have tested DBPoweramp, EAC, Foobar2000 and Cuetools ripper with a clean disc and all the outputs are exactly the same, checked with checksums, all match.

Any chance of getting a screenshot of your foobar2000 error or could you provide a step by step of what you are doing?

I see. For EAC i use microsoft pcm 44100khz/16 bits n convert to wav....dont sound like CD quality still as played on sony CD walkman. For foobar i set to standard ripping mode n controlled speed...choose 16 bits and no tagging or whatsoever and output to Wav. Foobar seems to sound more consistent but not as 100% clear as EAC. Ripped n store all in western digital hard disk. So not sure if its CD quality either...or soundcard.

Not sure if i should use flac. Coz external compression to flac sure it sounds same as output wav.
But the non external compression to only wav sounds better to me.

If i add DSP will the songs sound better?

Apr 24, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #259 of 787
Install this bit compare plugin for foobar2000. http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_bitcompare

the best thing you can do is rip the same song with EAC and Foobar2000. Then load both wav files in to Foobar2000, select both files and then right click utilities > bit compare tracks.

If the results come back as no difference found then the file are exactly the same (it cannot be the source files that sound different).

please post your results.

Use FLAC or another lossless compression method of your choice (Wavpack, Monkeys audio, TAK), there are a lot of advantages to use lossless compression over WAV, HD space saving, Proper tagging support, checksums... FLAC is a popular choice since it is compatible with a lot of media players.

Don't change audio when you are ripping music, later on you might think why the hell did i make those changes to the source files they sound terrible with my new gear and you'll need to re rip everything again. If you want to tweak the sound do it on playback.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #260 of 787
Install this bit compare plugin for foobar2000. http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_bitcompare

the best thing you can do is rip the same song with EAC and Foobar2000. Then load both wav files in to Foobar2000, select both files and then right click utilities > bit compare tracks.

If the results come back as no difference found then the file are exactly the same (it cannot be the source files that sound different).

Use FLAC or another lossless compression method of your choice (Wavpack, Monkeys audio, TAK), there are a lot of advantages to use lossless compression over WAV, HD space saving, Proper tagging support, checksums... FLAC is a popular choice since it is compatible with a lot of media players.

Don't change audio when you are ripping music, later on you might think why the hell did i make those changes to the source files they sound terrible with my new gear and you'll need to re rip everything again. If you want to tweak the sound do it on playback.

Downloaded the plugin. Read the guide but still cant figure out how to load both outputs and compare??? 
ph34r.gif

Can also compare wav to flac right? 
biggrin.gif

I have certain collection where my discs have scratches....very not clean.

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #261 of 787
Drag and drop both songs in to foobar2000s playlist. then select both, right click one of the selected files > utilities >bit compare tracks.

start with a clean disc first, error correction can differ depending on drive and software.

Apr 25, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #263 of 787
Thats good, the ripping is clean and a match. it looks like you haven't configured the drive offset of -6 on either EAC or Foobar2000.

I would assume EAC hasn't got it configured.

open EAC > click EAC menu > Drive options | Offset / Speed tab. Select Use read sample offset correct and enter -6.

rerip the same song in EAC and compare the results with the Foobar2000 rip.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #264 of 787
A 6 sample offset is only going to affect where the song starts, not how the song sounds like... of course if your reference is playing the CD on a whole different system (the Discman) then all bets are off... could just be you preferring the amplifier / tone settings on the Discman to that on the computer and its sound card.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 25, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #265 of 787
I don't recall saying that there would be a change in sound.

All i was suggesting was to correctly setting up the offset for future ripping. the re ripping and comparing was to ensure that the configuration was changed correctly.

Apr 25, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #266 of 787
That's nice, but a perceived sound difference is what sent the OP posting here in the first place. :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 15, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #268 of 787
Question that I can't seem to find anywhere: Does Foobar2000 mobile for android support DSD output when used with a DAC such as the OPPO HA-1?

If it is I can't figure out how to do it, want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

Is there a particular point? Not really, no. But hey, nice toys, it's fun. DSD is like the vinyl of the computer audio world.  (The thing that really attracted me to vinyl was the expense and the inconvenience.)

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #269 of 787
Glad I found this thread, and that DSD popped up.
I've gotten DSD to work somewhat through my Hugo and configured it with ASIO4ALL and the DOP thing.  I can play DSD with the PCM setting at 352,000.  When, however, I try to play in DSD mode, the FB status bar shows DSD645000 or so, followed by the 2.8...MHz indicating it's DSD.  But, I can't hear the full track as FB seems to run through the track at least 4X speed.  The track plays normally right up until the song ends on the timer.  Can anyone help?  From what I've heard from my portable, I like the sound of the format.  I will not get into a spitting contest about the worth of DSD or not.  I choose to use it and enjoy it.
Thanks.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #270 of 787
  Glad I found this thread, and that DSD popped up.
I've gotten DSD to work somewhat through my Hugo and configured it with ASIO4ALL and the DOP thing.  I can play DSD with the PCM setting at 352,000.  When, however, I try to play in DSD mode, the FB status bar shows DSD645000 or so, followed by the 2.8...MHz indicating it's DSD.  But, I can't hear the full track as FB seems to run through the track at least 4X speed.  The track plays normally right up until the song ends on the timer.  Can anyone help?  From what I've heard from my portable, I like the sound of the format.  I will not get into a spitting contest about the worth of DSD or not.  I choose to use it and enjoy it.
Thanks.

So in my experience with DSD and FooBar is that it completely depends on the specific driver implementation and the specific SACD plugin you use. My Oppo HA-2 works just fine with the very newest SACD plugin implementation, but my HiFiMeDIY 9018 async DAC only worked with one specific version of the SACD plugin. When using the latest driver I'd have problems where it would play too fast, or not play at all.

Try and look on the DAC manufacturer's page to see if they have information on how to get it working!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back