The first CD transport from Little Dot will be releasing soon
Jul 15, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #122 of 176
Any experiences on this one yet? Tried to ask impressions on the LD DAC thread also, but no one seems write about these anymore. Would be very interested in hearing impressions on DAC_1 and CDP_1 combo. Is everyone thinking about buying these and/or have already bought but not able/willing to write reviews?

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #124 of 176
I'd also would like to hear some impressions, reviews, comparisions. I'm looking to upgrade from my Marantz CD5001 to a better source for my DACMagic. I don't want to go for my lungs so I thought the CD 1 might be the answer.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #125 of 176
I'm guessing that the FOTM factor for these has dimished after launch for some reason. Anyhow, there's no user reviews that I can find, no chatter or even hype anymore. From sigs I can see that few have bought either CDP_1 and/or DAC_1 but no one has told anything about them.

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #126 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they gather dust. seriously
wink.gif
I did have a large shelf in my room a long time ago for cd/dvd storage. for smaller collections its not a big problem but what about when it starts to take a whole wall in one of your rooms. I can think of MANY better uses for room space than cd storage!

I just got to the point where taking THAT much physical space up was not a good use of MY extra room space. I had to dust all that stuff (which I hate)
wink.gif
and when I move to a new place, packing all that physical media up is a PITA. it takes up box space, its not exactly light and its also fragile (one mover drops a box of cd's and you have a 'fun time' ahead cleaning them all up).

I can replace yards of storage of physical discs in ONE single disk drive.

the day of me being a physical librarian for little silver discs is LONG gone. I'm very glad that we can sort and shuffle thru 'files' and no longer have to wade thru plastic thingies just to get a song to play.

You make it sound like it's hard to do..

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #127 of 176
I've been waiting to hear from owners how responsive the unit is. A comment on the little tube board claimed the player was sluggish to respond to commands which sounds unusual for a dedicated disc spinner. I was hoping somebody could quantify exactly how sluggish they mean.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #128 of 176
Regarding "Linuxworks" conversion from "plastic discs" to "harddrives:" While I envy your enthusiasm and, even more so, I envy your conviction to and completion of, the task of ripping all your music -- but, I have a couple of issues keeping me from doing this (as I'm sure others have already mentioned.)

• 1,000s of discs. Am I ever going to rip all those? I just ain't got the time! Not if I wanted to do them right.
  • After I ripped them, I'd still want to keep the source, so it isn't like I'm saving space.
  • Are you doing "lossless?" You may have answered that already elsewhere in the thread...but frankly it would have to be lossless for me.
  • What about on the road, etc? Can you take your compu-system on the highway
  • If you can take it on the highway...do you have to first copy files to your portable? And if so...does your portable play lossless? If it doesn't, do you then have to have a compressed AND a lossless version of each album??

I think optical discs are dumb too...but it's how it's delivered. Next will be bluray, with much better quality. It's nice to have the physical copy. Especially with box sets, nice packages with books/liners and nice photos. Frankly...I wish they'd just do hi-res digital files, therefor it's already ripped. But I don't think the labels are all that gung-ho about going totally digital. But it would be nice if they included a thumb drive with a lossless HI-RES copy.

So, as it stands today, the all digital route is just too much. Way more convenient in some ways...but not in EVERY way. We're still talking decades, I'm afraid. It's certainly doable for early adopters...but just not realistic. I wish it was. Not for the convenience, but more for the lossless. 16-bit is kind of dated.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #129 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  • 1,000s of discs. Am I ever going to rip all those? I just ain't got the time! Not if I wanted to do them right.
  • After I ripped them, I'd still want to keep the source, so it isn't like I'm saving space.
  • Are you doing "lossless?" You may have answered that already elsewhere in the thread...but frankly it would have to be lossless for me.
  • What about on the road, etc? Can you take your compu-system on the highway
  • If you can take it on the highway...do you have to first copy files to your portable? And if so...does your portable play lossless? If it doesn't, do you then have to have a compressed AND a lossless version of each album??

I'll respond for Linuxworks here, because we are in 100% agreement on digital storage of digital files.

1) Easy enough. It seems daunting to start, but in reality it's not bad. Everytime you want to listen to a disc, rip it first. It adds a few minutes to the start of the process one time, and then it's smooth sailing. You might not hit all your discs for years, but its won't hardly matter.

2) Maybe not overall space, but display space for sure. You can box those discs up after you're done and stick them in a closet. 2 moves later you'll have thrown them out.

3) Lossless of course. I have my doubts over whether I can hear the difference, but disk space is dirt cheap, and peace of mind is invaluable. I used to store them FLAC and ALAC, but both are truly lossless and I only used the ALAC, so it's ALAC only, now.

4) Computer, no. I mean, you COULD, but it would be a pain. You can pretty easily take a 160gb iPod on the highway, though, and THAT would certainly save some space
smily_headphones1.gif

5) Most devices can play SOME form of lossless. I have a lot of iPods, so I use ALAC. Others can play FLAC, or APE, WAV or what have you. Lossless portable files are not a problem, at all.

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #130 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been waiting to hear from owners how responsive the unit is. A comment on the little tube board claimed the player was sluggish to respond to commands which sounds unusual for a dedicated disc spinner. I was hoping somebody could quantify exactly how sluggish they mean.

I've placed an order for the transport and the dac (and a MKV as well, to drive my new AKG K701), so I should receive them in few days. I'll post my impressions, as I can compare against a MF V-DAC and a Roksan CD player (almost £1K).
Massimiliano

Aug 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #133 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've placed an order for the transport and the dac (and a MKV as well, to drive my new AKG K701), so I should receive them in few days. I'll post my impressions, as I can compare against a MF V-DAC and a Roksan CD player (almost £1K).
Massimiliano

thats going to be one sweet looking stack
atsmile.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #134 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
realmassy, where did you purchase yours from?

From davidzhezhe's ebay shop. I've just received an email from him saying they will complete the tests early this week, and will ship by mid-week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back