The first CD transport from Little Dot will be releasing soon
Aug 24, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #151 of 176
Some pictures (not great quality though). It's 3 days now that I'm listening my new stuff and I'm completely satisfied with them
happy_face1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #153 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaakso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks very nice. Although, Sennheiser clip and AKG phones? Are we playing for both teams, eh
wink.gif

beyersmile.png
Unfortunately I still haven't found a better holder! I'll probably move the amp and the other stuff to a different shelve and buy a proper headphone stand.

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #155 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think itd look better stacked

plus, that would give you room to place a silver Woo stand next to them
biggrin.gif

+1, better put the Trans at the bottom that will be more steady while spinning.

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #156 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by fdhfdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1, better put the Trans at the bottom that will be more steady while spinning.

Ok guys...I'll give it a try tonight and post new pictures. Thanks for your hints!

Aug 26, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #157 of 176
Hearing about the sluggish responses is a little disappointing, but probably not a dealbreaker. That just seems so odd to me. Any dedicated CD player from the last 10+ years responds instantly to basic commands. For a while I was using a Toshiba HD-A2 to temporarily spin discs and I couldn't stand the long pauses between button press and actual response from the unit. There is just no reason for it to be like that when far older technology managed to avoid it for ages now. I'd hate to purchase a device whose sole purpose is to play CDs and have the same frustrations. The CDP_1 seems like the best fit for me in terms of size and purpose though, so I'm not sure what to do anymore.

Makes me wonder what kind of SoC they used.

Aug 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #158 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hearing about the sluggish responses is a little disappointing, but probably not a dealbreaker. That just seems so odd to me. Any dedicated CD player from the last 10+ years responds instantly to basic commands. For a while I was using a Toshiba HD-A2 to temporarily spin discs and I couldn't stand the long pauses between button press and actual response from the unit. There is just no reason for it to be like that when far older technology managed to avoid it for ages now. I'd hate to purchase a device whose sole purpose is to play CDs and have the same frustrations. The CDP_1 seems like the best fit for me in terms of size and purpose though, so I'm not sure what to do anymore.

Makes me wonder what kind of SoC they used.

If you really think this will cause you frustrations then go for a different transport: there's no point to buy something when you're not completely sure. I've read about this problem in the little tube forum, but I thought it couldn't be a big issue, so I went for it, and I'm happy with that. I still prefer the cd over the laptop as transport because I like the "tactile" aspect of listening, I'd rather listen to an entire than jumping between the tracks, so I can wait a couple of seconds. But there's a lot of cd players with a small footprint (TEAC for example)...
BTW, here's a picture of the new setup, with the 3 elements stacked and the new baby (ATH ES7) hanging!

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #159 of 176
Is that credit card style remote in the picture for the CDP_1 by any chance? Would greatly appreciate a close up picture of its remote if possible.

Since nobody seems to think the response time of the unit is a dealbreaker it probably isn't for me either. What I'm after aside from good performance is very small size. The only other unit this small is the Shanling which is both more expensive and filled with features I don't need.

Sep 4, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #160 of 176
I think you should get the Shanling instead. It doesn't take 40 seconds to play a CD and it has a built in headphone amp for those times when you don't want to bring a separate DAC/Amp with you to listen to a CD, etc.. Also the remote is better on the Shanling.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #161 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really think this will cause you frustrations then go for a different transport: there's no point to buy something when you're not completely sure. I've read about this problem in the little tube forum, but I thought it couldn't be a big issue, so I went for it, and I'm happy with that. I still prefer the cd over the laptop as transport because I like the "tactile" aspect of listening, I'd rather listen to an entire than jumping between the tracks, so I can wait a couple of seconds. But there's a lot of cd players with a small footprint (TEAC for example)...
BTW, here's a picture of the new setup, with the 3 elements stacked and the new baby (ATH ES7) hanging!

Looks tempting, realmassy. Any comments on the sq?

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #162 of 176
Quote:

Looks tempting, realmassy. Any comments on the sq?

Honestly this is my first CD transport, so it's not easy comment about the quality. I've compared the Little Dot against 2 CD player (one 15 years old Alchemist and a Marantz 6003) using the digital output, and I can't hear any difference (maybe it's just my ears...), while I can ear a slight difference changing the DAC (I've got a V-DAC), so I think the "sound" is coming from the DAC.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #163 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly this is my first CD transport, so it's not easy comment about the quality. I've compared the Little Dot against 2 CD player (one 15 years old Alchemist and a Marantz 6003) using the digital output, and I can't hear any difference (maybe it's just my ears...), while I can ear a slight difference changing the DAC (I've got a V-DAC), so I think the "sound" is coming from the DAC.

I used to have a V-dac. Nice little black box. Do you prefer v-dac to ld's? if that is yes I might have a idea about the ld's dac

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #164 of 176
Quote:

I used to have a V-dac. Nice little black box. Do you prefer v-dac to ld's? if that is yes I might have a idea about the ld's dac

I'd not say that the LD is better than the V-DAC, they sound a bit different, probably the MF has a slight wider soundstage, the sound seems to be more "3D", but the LD is much easier to use (I don't like how input and output are placed on the V-DAC) and it doesn't run hot.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #165 of 176
Anyone else with a CDP_1? I've just ordered one as it looks ideal for my requirements as a light-use, budget transport with no frills & apparently decent performance. I'll be sure to post my thoughts when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back