The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Mar 23, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #856 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tadj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using my newly charged Protector for my traveling for 12 consecutive hours and still on with my 3 drivers UM's custom for 24 hrs>>>and still count on.......at 9 O'clock volume position all the time!!!! .... without recharging....

I think I am going to put them on charger within 1-2 hours!!! do not want to damage the battery at this early stage!!!

Youre nearing the end. I can only get around ~24 hours in SE mode with mine at the moment. Hopefully once the battery breaks in the hours will increase.

Mar 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #857 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Youre nearing the end. I can only get around ~24 hours in SE mode with mine at the moment. Hopefully once the battery breaks in the hours will increase.

Yeh...I would say so,...I am putting them on charger now, for safety reason!!!
Thanks,
As of now, I am quite happy with the battery life since in a normal usage, I am only use them 2-3 hours a day, this single charged battery should be able to last me up to 1 week easily!! and this without the quality of sound dropping out either!...

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #858 of 902
OK guys, there are over 200 Protectors out there. By now more that 70% of them should be burned-in by now, Please post your impressions & what do you use it with.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #859 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK guys, there are over 200 Protectors out there. By now more that 70% of them should be burned-in by now, Please post your impressions & what do you use it with.
Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Ran the Protector single ended 24/7 for 13+ days using the Isotek burn-in disc / AKG 701 phones. Took the Protector to work today with the AKG 701s in single ended configuration and "HI" impedance amp mode, and was sometimes under-impressed. Burn-in time was more than sufficient.

Findings: Congestion in challenging passages, had to push the volume knob to get some separation but was never enough. Good soundstaging, but definite lack of detail with various cds when things got busy.

I'm hoping that my HD650s, running in single and balanced mode, will make me want to keep this amp. Going singleended with the HD650s tomorrow at work, with balanced hopefully next week.

I'm not sure what to think, since the amp's construction seems superb and this thread's comments are generally great, but my AKG701s in single mode are not delivering the goods by any stretch of the imagination. More to come.

Ray, any suggestions?

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #860 of 902
The amp is much more powerful in balanced mode, based on my listening with HD600 single ended and balanced. Skylab finds it will drive HE-5 in balanced mode, while I find single ended it wont do the HE-5 justice (I'm still waiting for my spare HE-5 cable to put a 4-pin XLR on it).

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #861 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by djbnh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ran the Protector single ended 24/7 for 13+ days using the Isotek burn-in disc / AKG 701 phones. Took the Protector to work today with the AKG 701s in single ended configuration and "HI" impedance amp mode, and was sometimes under-impressed. Burn-in time was more than sufficient.

Findings: Congestion in challenging passages, had to push the volume knob to get some separation but was never enough. Good soundstaging, but definite lack of detail with various cds when things got busy.

I'm hoping that my HD650s, running in single and balanced mode, will make me want to keep this amp. Going singleended with the HD650s tomorrow at work, with balanced hopefully next week.

I'm not sure what to think, since the amp's construction seems superb and this thread's comments are generally great, but my AKG701s in single mode are not delivering the goods by any stretch of the imagination. More to come.

Ray, any suggestions?

You really have not heard the amp properly & have never experienced what it was designed to accomplish. Running it single ended with one of the very hard to drive & in efficiant headphones like the 701 does not give you the enjoyment you are looking for. You should have terminated your 701 to balanced & then see what the Protector can do. As the voltage swing doubles & the capability of the amp to drive those phones becomes so enjoyable. The 650 needs the balanced termination to really shine also.
Please get your self the proper cable for your phones to enjoy the Protector properly.
Ray Samuels

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #862 of 902
Totally agree with Ray, driving my HD600 SE mode sound crappy but in balanced mode, it is close to Audio-GD's Compass' performance or maybe even better.

I'm waiting for my balanced cable for my HD800, this will replace my current office rig.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #864 of 902
Quote:

Thanks.
Ray Samuels

Ray,

Do you have any plans to add adapters for the protector to your accessories page? By this I mean 2 x 3pin XLR to protector so people can use their existing balanced headphones. And possibly a 4pin XLR and/or 4 pin mini-xlr to protector as well.

I'm going to have another try this weekend but my first attempt as an adapter failed as the connections and my soldering skills are both very small.

I've been looking around threads to see if I'm not the only one who finds the protector connector hard to solder.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #865 of 902
All these adaptors and many more combos can be had from Craig at Whiplash Audio

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #866 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray,

Do you have any plans to add adapters for the protector to your accessories page? By this I mean 2 x 3pin XLR to protector so people can use their existing balanced headphones. And possibly a 4pin XLR and/or 4 pin mini-xlr to protector as well.

I'm going to have another try this weekend but my first attempt as an adapter failed as the connections and my soldering skills are both very small.

I've been looking around threads to see if I'm not the only one who finds the protector connector hard to solder.

Hi Stevie...
I have written times & again, my friend, that I am really very busy making amps, at the same time concerned about the cables & connectors which I have chosen in my balanced Protector, thus have worked with a very talented cable makers like, Craig @ Whiplash Audio & Drew @ Moon Audio, to provide the proper cables to serve the head-fi comunity with the coorect termination to their phones. Yes there are some expensive wires that they offer but also there is a high quality wires that is offered at lower prices. These two cable makers are great to deal with & their customer's service is the best. Please get in touch with them as I know they are louded with orders.
I am providing them with the connectors so they don't have to put an order for 1000 pieces & wait for 2-3 months for delivery.
Ray Samuels

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #867 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All these adaptors and many more combos can be had from Craig at Whiplash Audio

Quote:

Hi Stevie...
I have written times & again, my friend, that I am really very busy making amps, at the same time concerned about the cables & connectors which I have chosen in my balanced Protector, thus have worked with a very talented cable makers like, Craig @ Whiplash Audio & Drew @ Moon Audio, to provide the proper cables to serve the head-fi comunity with the coorect termination to their phones. Yes there are some expensive wires that they offer but also there is a high quality wires that is offered at lower prices. These two cable makers are great to deal with & their customer's service is the best. Please get in touch with them as I know they are louded with orders.
I am providing them with the connectors so they don't have to put an order for 1000 pieces & wait for 2-3 months for delivery.
Ray Samuels

Thanks I seem to have given the wrong impression. I was actually asking if you were planning to do them in the future at all. So when someone buys the protector they could select the accessories from you as well, like they can buy one of your ipod lineout cables.

I understand you wish to focus on the amps and I trust that you keep doing so in the future - so please don't feel a need to respond further.
beerchug.gif

regards

Steve

Apr 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #870 of 902
I have Sennheiser HD650 with balanced Zu Mobius mk2 cable. Balanced mode is the way to go. Sound is more forward, it makes techno music more engaging and it brings warmth to female vocals, piano and guitar.

It has warmer treble, not as bright as HR-2 and I'm starting to like it. The one thing that amazes me is its ability to bring out deep bass.

My amp hasn't reached over 200 hours yet, it would be interesting to see if the sound will change any further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back