The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Dec 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #91 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've been thinking, but this might not be a problem ( well not with me anyway) because i definitely won't be using a gain of 11 if i'm using my iems.

I agree.

Not to mention that a gain of 11 seems pretty useless for a portable amp that can't swing NEARLY the sort of voltage that gain would demand.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #93 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by plaidplatypus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing that the high gain setting is for the loonies who would complain if they couldn't blast their eardrums out with a k340 not for sensitive IEMs. I'd wait to hear Ray's reasoning before calling it "pretty useless".

but he's right.
o2smile.gif

That amp cant swing more than 3.7V, so the only reason to use the gain of 11 is if the source Vout is illogically low.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #94 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That amp cant swing more than 3.7V, so the only reason to use the gain of 11 is if the source Vout is illogically low.

Being balanced, it could be up to 7.4V peak to peak, depending on how close it gets to the rails......

But even so, assuming 1VRMS from an iPod line out, you will still be able to clip at 0dBfs at a gain of just 3x at full volume.

Running at 2VRMS from a typical home source, you could clip below a gain of 2x.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #95 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the only way to do this, would be by using interpolation. Just like a 1080i, is really a 720p, that uses software, to "interpolate" what it thinks should be 1080p. It would never be true balanced, and it could truly never sound as good, if it could even be done at all.
Sort of like the difference between Dolby Pro Logic and true Dolby Digital. It's just a "pretend" way to make fake 5 channel out of true 2 channel. I might be wrong.

The ultimate balanced portable, is to have the source, dac and amplification, balanced from beginning to end. But Ray is really onto something here, and like the napkin, might change the way that we listen to portable music for years to come. It has to get started somewhere.
Unfortunately, the large corporations that make most of our sources, Apple, Sony, etc. know, that we are a very small segment and mass producing Nanos and iPod earbuds will sell by the millions, the profit margin is huge, and that's what it's all about.
Hence, the end of the R-10/Orpheus era. We are going too have to do it ourselves. Sennheiser is the only one who lately, made a genuine effort to come out with a new state of the art headphone, sans the ED8's, AD7000's and Omega II's.

Thank you for polite replying
o2smile.gif
So I can`t make full use of the protecter unless I have full balanced source and IEM......
frown.gif

Is only way to get full balanced IEM buying from JH AUDIO??
It might be expensive!!

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #96 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please see the pictures on the first page, you can see the dimensions of both length & width.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Oh,sorry Ray. I missed it
tongue.gif

thanks!

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #97 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by ety0820 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for polite replying
o2smile.gif
So I can`t make full use of the protecter unless I have full balanced source and IEM......
frown.gif

Is only way to get full balanced IEM buying from JH AUDIO??
It might be expensive!!

i'll say that you can make pretty good use of the protector with your normal source for eg an ipod. i still plan to use my ipod touch with the protector.

of course, you'll definitely need to reterminate your iems. if your iems have detachable cables, then its less of a hassle.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #98 of 902
Dear friends...
It is not new to the audio world that the single ended signal can be transformed into balanced signal. It has been done through the years in all kind of power amps where single ended signal has been converted via phase splitter, tube or solid state circuitry, to give the opposite polarity at the same amplitude to the output tubes in a push pull configuration.
Sennheiser has don it in all their electrostatic amps by taking SE signal & converting it via phase splitter to two signals per channel out of phase from each other & passing that signal to two independent amps per channel to drive the Stator of the Electrostatic phones.

This method has been used time and again in all kind of designs where SE signal has been converted to a balanced one.

The Protector balanced portable amp is just unique because it is so small yet packs ample power to drive balanced phones. It is great to know that you can listen to your, SE portable, source through the Protector in a balanced configuration & enjoy your music much more.

The connector chosen is state of the art when it comes to the quality of the material use & the construction. It is designed to last for life time. No problem will accrue with loose connection or cut signals with this connector yet it is small with pc brd foot prints & prices ONLY around $2.00.
No one will go wrong with using this connector as I am having a ball using it now & am truly proud to find something so good & dependable that I can present it to you knowing that you will have no issues in the future with this connector. The mate for this connector, the part that goes to your phones cable, is very beautifully made. It is small and fits in you pocket as if it is not there, not bulky or heavy, yet easy to secure to its mate with simply push.
It is keyed so you won't be able to install it the wrong way.

We have to start some where & I thought this connector will make many manufacturers happy & unite us all into making the amps/phones to our customers where the standards in connectors have been established & finalized. I have made the part available on this thread including the pins configuration. As I mentioned in my last post that I am in touch with IEMs manufacturers to adopt this connector in their wires. I have Whiplash Audio making me a balanced cable with this connector for my JH PRO13.

I have ordered 1000 of this connector from the manufacturer as the stock that were available from two distributors have been all sold in one single day.
Wonder who bought them?

When the connectors come I will make them available to all the IEMs manufacturers at no additional cost, as this part is available only in big quantity.

The Protector balanced portable headphone amp has the state of the art fully deferential op-amps with lowest input noise. The gain stage has the best & lowest input noise specs, 1 nano volt only, with a great sound reproduction.

As to the volume control, we are using the same Panasonic volume control found in the SR-71 & SR-71A. These pots are amazing as they don't cut or crackle or make noise when the wiper moves back & forth. This volume control has been modified to fit in the Protector thus making it as low profile amp as possible. See the pictures on the first page for measurement, this amp is small when specially is designed to do balanced headphones & the single ended phones via 3.5 jack next to the balanced connector.
The input jack is in the back so is the three gain switch & the DC connector.

The play back time is 7 days at eight hours per day from a single charge. I dare to say that I have it plugged to my HD600 & it runs them at high volume even to my high level listening habits.
We are working on the chassis right now; the first chassis would be available within a week or 10 days. I will post the pictures once the first prototype chassis is here.
To be continued....

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #100 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsilvio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Ray,

Is it possible to make an adapter so you could use the new IEM cable single ended without swaping cables?

It is not going to be easy, as the connector has positive & negative signals for both left & right channels only. No main ground is present at this connector's pins, ground is only shielding the case of the connector. The single ended requires positive signal & ground, this ground is shared in both drivers, thats why you have only three wires in single ended. But I have provided a 3.5 connector next to the balanced one. If this was a bigger amp I would have used relays to provide the gound in place of the negative signals to the balanced connector thus you would have no need for SE wire. The balanced wire would have worked for you in both configurations. But relays will eat the battery power so using it in portable amps is not recommended when you are trying to get the most out of your battery.
Ray Samuels

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #101 of 902
Ray,

Thanks for the reply. I assume it is possible to make an adapter to go from the 4 pin connector to 2 xlr's so I could use my jh-13's with both the portable balanced and my balanced home rig.

will

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #102 of 902
Also, the adapter I originally asked about was for the end of the iem cable not the amp. Couldn't the 2 negative wires from the iem cable be tied together to make a ground for an 1/8 inch jack so the iems could be used in both your balanced amp and any other single ended only amp?

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #103 of 902
Quote:

Is it possible to make an adapter so you could use the new IEM cable single ended without swaping cables?

You could cobble something together using the panel mount version of the female connector and some heatshrink to cover up the ass end. It'd look like crap, but it'd work.

I still think the more elegant solution would be to use a 2.5mm four conductor for balanced and 3.5mm three conductor for unbalanced. That would allow you to use two cable end connectors for making an adapter cable.

se

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #104 of 902
Quote:

Also, the adapter I originally asked about was for the end of the iem cable not the amp. Couldn't the 2 negative wires from the iem cable be tied together to make a ground for an 1/8 inch jack so the iems could be used in both your balanced amp and any other single ended only amp?

Yup.

se

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #105 of 902
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I assume it is possible to make an adapter to go from the 4 pin connector to 2 xlr's so I could use my jh-13's with both the portable balanced and my balanced home rig.

Yup.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back