The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Feb 18, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #391 of 902
What is the life cycle on connection/disconnection/reconnection for these video camera PSU connection plugs?

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #393 of 902
I got to listen to the Protector at Ray's place today. I was actually a bit shocked. I had dismissed the whole idea because my balanced headphones (DT880/600 and HE-5) are really not at all portable. But after hearing the Protector, this amp will be a good choice for people who want a balanced amp even if they don't plan to use it as a portable. It is absolutely terrific sounding - I was really impressed. Surprised, in fact, at just HOW good it was.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #394 of 902
when will the pre-order start?
beyersmile.png

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #395 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to listen to the Protector at Ray's place today. I was actually a bit shocked. I had dismissed the whole idea because my balanced headphones (DT880/600 and HE-5) are really not at all portable. But after hearing the Protector, this amp will be a good choice for people who want a balanced amp even if they don't plan to use it as a portable. It is absolutely terrific sounding - I was really impressed. Surprised, in fact, at just HOW good it was.

The comments Skylab, do they imply the Protector could become a desktop balanced amp.

Any impression on output power.

Feb 21, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #397 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray had to stay away from the digital controller for balanced purposes

I'm curious, can you explain what you mean a bit more?

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #398 of 902
Without a doubt it could be used as a balanced desktop. It runs the HD650's with ease and takes them to another level. Before the Protector I didn't really listen to the 650's much any longer but it brought them back to life, opening up the soundstage, driving the bass with ease and the music is dynamic with no compression. It has 16 volts of swing and plenty of current.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #399 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without a doubt it could be used as a balanced desktop. It runs the HD650's with ease and takes them to another level. Before the Protector I didn't really listen to the 650's much any longer but it brought them back to life, opening up the soundstage, driving the bass with ease and the music is dynamic with no compression. It has 16 volts of swing and plenty of current.

Macrodynamic or microdynamic? How loud do you listen?

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #400 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, can you explain what you mean a bit more?

Personally, I'm 2 years short in college terms (only Associates in CE and EE). My response was because somewhere in the beginning of this thread, a question came up whether or not there was going to be a digital volume control, and it was stated that this configuration, called for going back to a non-digital control.
Perhaps someone can chime in here.
luvdunhill, you are into DIY, aren't you? Can it be done?

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #401 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Protector could absolutely be used as a desktop amp. It's got balls. You can drive the HD800 on low gain to loud volumes (although I prefer the sound signature on medium gain more).

Yup - it has a lot of gas. Drives my balanced HE-5's to earsplitting levels on the medium gain setting. Will try the DT880/600's tomorrow. Ray did not guarantee that would work well, but I don't listen all that loud, so probably fine for me. But in general, I think it could be used as a desktop balanced amp, yes.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #404 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If possible, please also note single ended performance and provide comment on any other headphones.

Even though it probably sounds good single ended (I didn't listen to it SE) I'm not sure why you'd want to use it that way when the balanced option is right there next to it. Most headphones are easy enough to reterminate. Usually if you buy a balanced amp, you will be using balanced 90% - 100% of the time.

Feb 21, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #405 of 902
Uh oh... it may be time to sell of my pico..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back