The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Feb 21, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #406 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If possible, please also note single ended performance and provide comment on any other headphones.

I'am interested to know mate
beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #407 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has 16.8 volts.

that's plenty of power. I wonder how long it can last, it must have amazing circuitry.

from skylab.... I think it could be used as a desktop balanced amp
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #408 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Macrodynamic or microdynamic? How loud do you listen?

The amp has the ability to bring across the detail in a musical manner and yet at the same time has the ability to contrast macro and microdynamics with startling ease. This I have noted not only on the JH13's but on my Ed. 9 and the HD650's. The Ed. 9 of course in single ended as I have not balanced them yet. With loud passages the music, when well recorded, just grabs you, which to me, is the ultimate goal because I forget I am listening to a "sound system". I am not sure how to describe how loud I listen, I guess too loud at times. On live music there are times I enjoy creating the field of sound and will turn it up closer to what I hear live music at a venue. The interesting thing about the Protector is that the sound field does not collapse. I did hold the phones a bit away from my years and turned the volume louder a few times to try and hear if I could clip the amp and all it did was get to the point where I would have ruined my ears but the sound did not clip.

Feb 21, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #409 of 902
Regarding desktop use, I actually wish the Protector (or a variant) had a somewhat larger form factor with RCA and balanced inputs. Whereas I have no doubt it will elevate the portable iPhone experience with my JH13s, I'm far more interested in using it with my laptop and a good USB DAC (either at work, at home, or when traveling). I'm also not a big fan of miniplug inputs... A form factor as big as the Lisa III would do the trick for me perfectly...

That said, I'm definitely ordering the Protector as is on day one.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #411 of 902
Dear head-fiers & friends around the World...

The world first ULTRA portable BALANCED headphone amp, The Protector, is ready to ship within 2 weeks. From now on this thread is going to be the place where you can reserve one of these little monsters by putting your name down. We are going to have it in all black or all Clear/white @ $15.00 more for the later.
I just want to clear few points over here before any one jump in to by an amp that might not be what he or she has in mind.

The Protector is truly a different breed amp. First of all even though it is so portable you should never ever have the though in your mind that you are listening to a portable amp as that by it self is going to take the fun out of the listening. The Chips used in the Protectors are the highest in quality & the best in performance that would only be used in big home amp rather than in a portable use. They do have the high voltage operation with best specs in the industry when it comes to noise, voltage swing & bandwidth.

The phase splitter is a true, full deferential input to output with the highest drive capability. The gain chip is the lowest input noise chip ever. Its specs are just beyond the imaginations.
To listen to the Protector & expect to sound like a portable amp is the last thing you would ever come across. This amp puts you in a trance & makes you forget about any thing but to enjoy your music.
I can assure you that the Protector is not for every one, especially those who would want to hear a little on the bright amps to call them detailed amps.

The Predator is tweaked to give you the sound that only emits from the best home base amps that have the warmth yet never lacks the detail.
Because of the balanced output, the MUSIC surrounds your head from every which way you can imagine. There are instruments that come from behind your ears, top of your head, in front of your face & back from behind your neck.

We are using the best POT made by Panasonic for portable use, though being big in size we had to do special modification on this pot to make work perfectly in this low profile chassis. It is the same POT used in the SR-71/71A.
These pots have never been replaced in any of these amps since installed 7 years ago.

The Protector was developed using the Meridian 508 24 Bit CD player, using mostly 24 bit recording. We also used the iPod Classic, iPhone & Desk Top as sources.
The Protector has three gain switches; in single ended it is gain of two, as low, gain of 6, as Medium & gain of 11, as High. When using the balanced output, you have to keep in mind that your gain is going to double in all three settings.

The Playback time is around 4-5 days @ 8 hours from single charge.
We use custom Lithium Ion batteries with the specified charger designed for our amp. The Red LED on the charger indicates the amp is charging, when turned Green the charging is done. You can leave the amp on the charger day or night on or off & never worry.

Very important is the burn-in time. The amp will go though few stages of burn-in until it settles, please give it 200 hours at least to make the amp shine.
We have the faith that this amp will give you years of true Quality enjoyment that we back it up with our best LIFE TIME warranty. If service is needed, parts & labor are free of charge, customer pays shipping only.

The connectors are available; you can purchase one at $2.50 only.
We have shipped many to Whiplash Audio. We will try to get some to JH Audio also.

The regular price of the Protector is $475.00.
The first 200 units will be offered to the head-fiers for only $425.00 ONLY.
You have two weeks to put your order through as we will start shipping in 14 days.
RSA.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #415 of 902
Please cancel my reservation. I'm going to go for other portable amp.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #416 of 902
I'd love to reserve one in Black aswell please. As early serial as possible. (#001 would make me the happiest Head-Fier around, but, I'll take what I can get.)

Added one 4pin connector included, please.

Thanks.

Feb 21, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #417 of 902
Ray,
Please reserve one for me as well. I would like the clear/white option and an additional 4 connectors to make Mini-XLR interconnects for my existing balanced cans. I'm extremely excited as this will be my first RS amp since you blew me away with your Predator in Denver last August.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #420 of 902
I would like to preorder one too. Black. Would like serial number #008 if possible. Otherwise, the smallest number available. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back