The final question to e3c vs e6i poll
Nov 19, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #106 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
What do you guys mean here? What is wrong with the durability of the ER-6i?

I was very close to purchasing them until I read this thread. Please explain, thanks.

Once you see the E3's next ot the 6i's, you see a big difference in the build quality. When I wrote that, i based it on what I saw on the 6i's wire. The wire is very thin, meanwhile the E3's has a nice durable wire. Eitherway I think either pair should last. The friend I borrowed the pair from, still has a perfectly working 6i. The problem is that the wire seems very very fragile for a $100+ product. This leads me to think that the 6i's require much more care than the E3's. Also that thin wire paired with the crappy warranty (On the other hand shure has slighly thick wire and excellent warranty) may become a waste of money for those who won't feel like taking care of the wire. Overall I still think they are very durable, it's just that a lot of care may be needed.

Don't let this scare you off of the 6i's though. My friend hardly takes good care of them and they still work fine. Plus the 6i have excellent sound. However if you got the money and are going to use an equalizer, the E3's in my opinion are a much better choice. Many claim that the well equalized E3's sound close to the E5c's.

Whatever pair you end with, I recommend you take good care off. Remember they cost $100+.

Nov 19, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #107 of 127
Sorry Raul,

I forgot about that. Things are starting to get busy over here as we're trying to prepare for Christmas. I'll see if I can get new measurements up soon. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,
Jamey

Nov 20, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #108 of 127
Hey guys. Anyone using the e3c with an iPod? I tried to eq it using the "rock" selection. On hip hop tracks with fat bass the sound breaks... Have anyone any recommendations for e3c and eq w/ iPod?

Nov 21, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #109 of 127
I also used the extra base eq on my ipod using the E3c's, and too got a little distortion with the lowest base. I'm currently in the process of buying some e5c's
smily_headphones1.gif

Mina.

Nov 21, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #111 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mina
I also used the extra base eq on my ipod using the E3c's, and too got a little distortion with the lowest base. I'm currently in the process of buying some e5c's
smily_headphones1.gif

Mina.

You'll get more distortion using a *good* equalizer on the E5 than on the E3. I managed to push up 60hz to +8db without distortion on the E3, only +5db on the E5 -- a result is if both the E3 and E5 are equalized to their potential, the E3 can give almost the same bass impact as the E5!

Ofcourse that will affect highs and and you'll lose some detail on the E3 meaning you'll need to reduce the mids and push up the treble a ****load which leads to some sibilance and the sound is still more claustrophobic than the E5 - so sure you'll like the E5 but if looking at a bass boost only, unlike the E5, the E3 are very capable of being pushed very roughly so I'm almost certain the Ipod with its non existant equalizing capabilities is to blame for distortion.

I really cant understand why people get Ipods really:
1) No support for leading lossy formats
2) No support for leading lossless formats
3) Poor battery life
4) Chunky size
5) 90% develop headphone jack faults
6) Limited functionality (no equalizer)
7) Highly overpriced
8) No ability to copy tracks back from ipod to PC (without cracks).
9) Battery is cheap and stops holding charge after around 12 months.
10) Cant stress this enough: average quality/volume sound (I get no hiss and louder sound at 8/40 on my tiny iops than the ipod gets on 20/40 volume with hiss).

Sorry, just had to get this off my chest, lets not turn this into an anti-ipod or pro-ipod thread please
rolleyes.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #112 of 127
WOW Finally someone agrees with me that iPods are the Microsoft of MP3 Players!!!

Anyone wanting a new player get a Creative Labs Zen Touch 20GB - Not only are they HALF the price of a 20gb iPod, they have much better sound (They are Creative Labs after all), more features (Especially 24 hour maximum battery life - double the iPod's maximum - emphasis on the word "maximum" in that sentence), and although slightly bigger, to me the Zen's are a lot more attractive, especially the new Touch - I have a Zen Xtra and although a beefy mofo in comparison to the iPod I love it to bits. Hey, I'm a student after all - cheap is good. Sorry, but the iPod is just UGLY (whether it's black or white) and the silver casing looks butt ugly when it gets scratched. The balance on the Zen's sound-wise is just perfect, and I can't wait to get my new earphones for xmas/18th bday (That is why I'm on this forum)

Anyway, to make this post relevant, i have to agree with what is being said - the iPod has really bad sound. my friend has the same problem, with his player distorting. Then again one has to remember that iPods are made for the mp3playermaphile, hence why they can sell to the masses and bump up prices. It's all economics these days... hmph... But yeah, my friend has that iPod problem, and he bought a £50 pair of earphones too, sennheiser's i think, not sure which model though.

Nov 25, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #113 of 127
FYI - at the really high frequencies(14 KHz 20 KHz), they're supposed to be rolled off, so they don't blow your ears out since headphones sit right next to your ears. The rest, go ahead adjusting. But if you look on headroom, all of the 'phones are rolled of in the really high frequencies, for good reason

Nov 25, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #114 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarmarama
WOW Finally someone agrees with me that iPods are the Microsoft of MP3 Players!!!

Anyone wanting a new player get a Creative Labs Zen Touch 20GB - Not only are they HALF the price of a 20gb iPod, they have much better sound (They are Creative Labs after all), more features (Especially 24 hour maximum battery life - double the iPod's maximum - emphasis on the word "maximum" in that sentence), and although slightly bigger, to me the Zen's are a lot more attractive, especially the new Touch - I have a Zen Xtra and although a beefy mofo in comparison to the iPod I love it to bits. Hey, I'm a student after all - cheap is good. Sorry, but the iPod is just UGLY (whether it's black or white) and the silver casing looks butt ugly when it gets scratched. The balance on the Zen's sound-wise is just perfect, and I can't wait to get my new earphones for xmas/18th bday (That is why I'm on this forum)

Anyway, to make this post relevant, i have to agree with what is being said - the iPod has really bad sound. my friend has the same problem, with his player distorting. Then again one has to remember that iPods are made for the mp3playermaphile, hence why they can sell to the masses and bump up prices. It's all economics these days... hmph... But yeah, my friend has that iPod problem, and he bought a £50 pair of earphones too, sennheiser's i think, not sure which model though.

My friend got some 80 quid senn and they dont show hiss and from listening (granted not for too long), I couldnt spot distortion from the sound presets.

I'm talking about 350 quid ultra sensitive E5 headphones here, so I couldnt possible say the sound quality of the Ipod is bad, no idea where you got that impression. Its just nothing special at its price range. Also, please, dont turn this into another "my player is better than yours" thread. I dont like the ipod, I stated why, all you did was repeat exactly what I said in comparison to your player.

EDIT: PS, for the record, the creative player isnt that great either, try this: http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...=specification

Nov 25, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #117 of 127
to get great sound get the big creative nomad jukebox 3. That is the best sounding DAP ever made. The karma and the Iriver would be second. All three have excellent equalizers that don't distort even when the bass is at +12db. 12db is too much bass with the E3s, though great for bassheads.

Nov 25, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #118 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
to get great sound get the big creative nomad jukebox 3. That is the best sounding DAP ever made. The karma and the Iriver would be second. All three have excellent equalizers that don't distort even when the bass is at +12db. 12db is too much bass with the E3s, though great for bassheads.

Thats a sign of a good equalizer? -- try +12db on a good hardware equalizer and see what happens to your E3c
tongue.gif

Nov 25, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #119 of 127
yea sorry about the iPod rant. I just hate everything about it. Thanks for the earphone advice though hackeron on my post
biggrin.gif
Just found out the girlfriend been cheating on me. Bah, all the more reason to get sound-isolating canalphones for xmas!!!

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #120 of 127
Coming from someone who is upgrading from broken EX71s, I just returned my ER-6i and kept E3c after buying both for a head to head comparison (literally).

In almost all respects, the E3 was better than the er6i. I almost cried when I heard the bass from the er6i. It really does suck (especially when coming from EX71). The E3 has much more punch, and when EQ'ed, it sounds real crisp and clean. It could use a tad more kick, but my iPod can't push it that hard or it'll distort.

Although at first the er6i was hard to put on and take off, I have gotten good at it, and it is a mute point when comparing the two.

If I could give anything to the er6i, I would say that the "separation" between the instruments is much better. You can really hear each frequency clearly without any muddiness from other frequencies.

One last thing, to those who are afraid of the mid-bass on the E3c, I found that it wasn't too overpowering and actually livened the music up a bit.

I'm pretty happy with the E3c.

Next, I will be trying out the Sharp MD33s. I hope they come close to the E3c without bettering them. They are like 1/3 the cost and I'll have to do another return if I really like them better...I'll keep you all posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back