The final question to e3c vs e6i poll
Oct 29, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #91 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamey
Hi Raul,

The new graph is made with the clear tips. The one posted on the website uses the grey flex sleves which probably accounts for a difference in the upper range. Also please be aware that the scale on our website graphs is different from the scale taken directly from our Audio Precision. This is due to how our graph builder is programmed. No work around for that one.

Edit: Also, the amount of smoothing applied to the frequency response graphs in our graph builder is about 40x whereas the new graph directly from the AP is only smoothed about 20x which would acount for the bigger peaks and valleys.

Not right now.

Here ya go (E3's with tri-flange). Won't be able to do isolation right now as it's pretty noisy with Tyll running around upstairs.

shure_e3_3flange.jpg

hi jamey so u still stick with your previous comment that the e6i is better sounding?

just less bass?

Oct 29, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #92 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
hi jamey so u still stick with your previous comment that the e6i is better sounding?

just less bass?

Where did I say that?

I do like the sound of the ER-6i a little more than the E3 however, sometimes the E3's are more comfortable for me. When I'm wanting the best in isolation, comfort, and sonics, you can usually find me with my UE-10's.

Jamey

Oct 29, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #93 of 127
Quote:

Where did I say that?

I do like the sound of the ER-6i a little more than the E3 however, sometimes the E3's are more comfortable for me. When I'm wanting the best in isolation, comfort, and sonics, you can usually find me with my UE-10's.

Jamey

hmm now i'm really interested in trying out the e6i for myself. i was just assuming that you agree with the statement found on the e3c at your website that said "Though not as good sounding as the less expensive Etymotic E6i, the E3C is close"

Oct 29, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #94 of 127
Jamey I'd like to ask if it would be possible for you to measure the freq. response for the Ety's with these new charting you are using. In particular, for the ER-6i's, which don't have freq. response charts in your site.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #95 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
hmm now i'm really interested in trying out the e6i for myself. i was just assuming that you agree with the statement found on the e3c at your website that said "Though not as good sounding as the less expensive Etymotic E6i, the E3C is close"

In general I agree but the sound from an in ear-canal phone can be very different from one person to the next due to differences of volume in the chamber created when inserting them. As many people have noticed, just a slight change in position can greatly change the sound. Everybody has a different size/shape canal so what you hear will always be different than what I hear. With deeper insertion, the peaks and valleys in the upper register shift to higher frequencies. If you are able to maintain a good seal but back the driver away from your eardrum, you would hear even less high frequency extension. As shown in the graph, the narrow tube and longer physical nature of the tri-flange essentially bring the phone closer to your eardrum extending the high frequency range.

Raul,

I'm hoping to have ER-6i measurements up soon however, I've been waiting for the new model just to make sure. (They just arrived today.) Also, we usually try to do our measurements for our graph builder late at night so that we have more accurate measurements. This weekend can be one of the loudest/craziest in the quiet town of Bozeman so we'll have to wait until next week.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #96 of 127
Quote:

Here ya go (E3's with tri-flange). Won't be able to do isolation right now as it's pretty noisy with Tyll running around upstairs.

Wow, you're the best
smily_headphones1.gif
-- This is probably pushing it, but I just ordered the E5c, could you, maybe, you know, also with the triflanges? :p

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #97 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron
the frequency chart is a joke, very, very inaccurate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hackeron
Wow, you're the best -- This is probably pushing it, but I just ordered the E5c, could you, maybe, you know, also with the triflanges? :p

Why? You lookin' for a good laugh?
icon10.gif

Just kidding. Maybe next week after we update the 6i's. I'm goin' home to do some listening.

Cheers,
Jamey

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #98 of 127
If the tri flanges make even better sound I gotta go buy those.
Post if the tri flange make you change your desicion as far as Er6i v E3c.
Thanks for the new charts.

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #99 of 127
Quote:

As shown in the graph, the narrow tube and longer physical nature of the tri-flange essentially bring the phone closer to your eardrum extending the high frequency range.

Ah yes indeed the graph done with 3-flanges has more treble overal (less variability there). It is lower at 10KHz most likely because of the overall 20x smoothing out.

Quote:

This weekend can be one of the loudest/craziest in the quiet town of Bozeman so we'll have to wait until next week.

No hurries, just when your time allows. I'm sure all these charts are very welcomed by all headfiers. Thanks much Jamey!
Cheers,
Raul

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #100 of 127
Quote:

Why? You lookin' for a good laugh?
icon10.gif

Just kidding. Maybe next week after we update the 6i's. I'm goin' home to do some listening.

Cheers,
Jamey

Ok, maybe it wasnt "really really" inaccurate, but the new graph makes the shures look a lot less recessed in the highs
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking forward to updates, I love technical specs
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I dont suppose you can treat us with what a 0x smoothed graph looks like?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #101 of 127
Hey now that we are all asking for measurements like crazy, how about new and improved graphs like those, but for the SR60 and HD650
eggosmile.gif

(See my sig. to see why I ask for these in particular)

Not sure how shifted the freq. response graph for the SR60's might be, but I like how they sound (with comfies + coin hole mod) with these settings in foobar:
1.8KHz -3db
2.5KHz -3db
3.5KHz -2db
5.0KHz -4db
7.0KHz +3db
10KHz +5db
14KHz +4db
20KHz +4db

Not sure if it's because of the freqs. steps I can equalize with foobar, but for the Shure's I can't seem to improve the zero equalization, even following the updated chart.

Oct 29, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #102 of 127
This seems to be becoming the reference thread to show to those deciding between the E3c and Er6i.
Please post on the improvements the triflange makes on the E3.

Oct 30, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #103 of 127
Now at home with more quiet surroundings, following the updated chart, these are some settings for the E3c's that open up the treble slightly, and they still sound very nice, not overly bright:
2.5KHz +2
3.5KHz +3
5.0KHz +4
7.0KHz +3
10KHz 0
14KHz +4
20KHz +5

Still zero eq is mighty fine though, is not that I prefer eq'ing it. Edit: I must say in fact, close call but I prefer zero eq. Not sure if this might be related to the eq plugin of foobar not being too great though. Or the fact that the true response of the E3c's might have some peaks and valleys hidden by the smoothing out that mess up the attempts to equalize following the smoothed out curves.

Even taking into consideration that phone depth while measuring might shift the smoothed out curve of the response horizontally (besides making the top treble go up or down), I still think the orig chart has some problematic shift in the x-axis legend.

Observed in detail this shifting in the x-axis between lattest E3c chart and the original one, and mapped that shift to the SR60's orig chart. Doing that I adjusted the eq settings for the SR60, which I like slightly better than my previously posted ones:
1.8KHz -2
2.5KHz -3
3.5KHz -2
5.0KHz -4
7.0KHz -2
10KHz +2
14KHz +4
20KHz +4

These eq. settings might not work for you depending on your pads, ears, tips, how far in your wear your canal phones, mods in your headphones, settings in your foobar or playback software etc. etc. etc. ( <- "try to find your own best eq settings" disclaimer)

Nov 19, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #105 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Having heard to the ER6i I can already say sound quality it's awesome, but it's durability is a joke. Also the warranty is funny. With 90 days of warranty I hope the E3 is better sounding. I wouldnt want to buy Ety, to replace it every few months.

What do you guys mean here? What is wrong with the durability of the ER-6i?

I was very close to purchasing them until I read this thread. Please explain, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back