The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Nov 5, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #9,962 of 9,972
Ah - I see - I mistook the bin files in the wiki page for actual FW releases - dang - Thanks!

v
I’ll be honest, having used rockbox on an ipod video and using the default x3ii firmware, I prefer the x3ii default firmware.

If you wanted to use rockbox for more customization, you can actually make some changes to the x3 firmware to make it look how you want (I did some searching around before and I think there’s even some references to it in this thread)

Sep 21, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #9,963 of 9,972
I have a Fiio X3 ii. While using the device, suddenly music stops with a click sound from device. Then a message appears "power off in 10 seconds press any key to cancel", I press a button, then I hear some click sounds from device again (its not from the earphone, from the device itself, like a relay or something) and music begins to play.

Did anyone experienced this before, I tried to search that turn off message on google but couldn't find something similar.

Sep 22, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #9,964 of 9,972
I’ll be honest, having used rockbox on an ipod video and using the default x3ii firmware, I prefer the x3ii default firmware.

If you wanted to use rockbox for more customization, you can actually make some changes to the x3 firmware to make it look how you want (I did some searching around before and I think there’s even some references to it in this thread)
My single biggest gripe with the player is the lack of Rockbox firmware. It's so much better in every way on my Xduuoo X3..

I have a Fiio X3 ii. While using the device, suddenly music stops with a click sound from device. Then a message appears "power off in 10 seconds press any key to cancel", I press a button, then I hear some click sounds from device again (its not from the earphone, from the device itself, like a relay or something) and music begins to play.

Did anyone experienced this before, I tried to search that turn off message on google but couldn't find something similar.
I did not experience this exactly before, though a dead noname sd card has caused some anomalous relay action before, perhaps you could test the player with another sd card?

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #9,965 of 9,972
My single biggest gripe with the player is the lack of Rockbox firmware. It's so much better in every way on my Xduuoo X3..

I did not experience this exactly before, though a dead noname sd card has caused some anomalous relay action before, perhaps you could test the player with another sd card?
That might be it, my sd card was a no name one, it sees files tho.

Mar 11, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #9,968 of 9,972
I've just bought one of these 2nd hand from Ebay and I'm pretty impressed with it. Sound quality wise, it is a little better than my original X3 that I've had since 2014 and is working great still, but some things I don't like as much.

To me, the display is even worse and harder to read, but partly because of the default themes.

Has anyone made custom themes that make the display easier to read? On the old X3, I found Mr. Trev's white theme with black text to be by far the best in bright light. The choise of a patterned background and red font for the volume when over 100 makes it nearly impossible to read. Would like to try out several themes if any of you have them still.

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #9,970 of 9,972
I still use my high contrast white/green on black on github (and two other fishy experiments), plus processing to avoid the album art from interfering. My player is still fine but the fiio.me site that the page links to seems dead.
Interesting theme and it is very easy to read in that font.
I think I overall prefer the first 4 themes which are obviously all the same. As although the other things are funny, they are not as simple and easy to understand as the more basic ones :wink: I laughed when i saw a pacman eating down the time bar though!

But there are a few things that are better about the pacman and other theme that makes the other theme a bit worse.
One issue is just that on the now playing screen, most of the text is white, then just the format is in bright green and it looks quite out of place. I like the colour combination of text for the track, artist album and format on the other two themes though. I also think the battery health in green is good.
It is also MUCH easier to see which icon is selected on the main menu in theme 5 and 6 than on the others.
The track progress bar also directly crosses the track numbers, which is doesn't do in theme 5 and 6.
Maybe also add a distinction to the folder you are in when browsing albums as the folder title looks like could be one of the albums.

So if several of these things could be moved to the other themes too, that would be great.

Would it be too much to ask for you to tweak it a little? I would certainly use it! :)

I asked Mr. trev to tweak his theme for the original X3 and I think I will have been using his theme for over 5 years!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #9,971 of 9,972
Yes I tried to squeeze all the animation that the firmware allows in the sailboat theme, but it doesn't look right. I only use theme 2, fearing the day my eyes will need theme 3, and someone on this forum asked for theme 4 with an even bigger font. So I replaced theme 5 with an adaptation of theme 2 with most of the things you asked in a newer pre-release.

To me, displaying the format in the colour of the icons above it looks better than in white. Of course, the colour(s) of these icons can be altered. By the way, there isn't any icon on the format line (that I am aware of). The coloured battery I don't really like - it's a bit overly clear what the levels mean. Worse, while charging, the X3 animates the same battery icons so the colours cycle.

I tried to make the selection on the main menu (called "launcher" in configuration files) look like a planet circling the earth and tweaked the colour now. When you navigate by pressing the lower left and right buttons, the menu looks quite different and it can because the firmware uses an independent configuration for that.

The progress bar overlaying with the track numbering is quite intended, to maximize the cover art area. In fact one thing I worked hard on was to get rid of the filename line and move the progress and numbers down. The overlaying is not a problem to me when you look at it at the start or end of a track, though I'm not saying it's ideal. Theme 5 now has a thin line that barely touches the album art (if you customize that to not overlap), but I don't prefer that. I do like the pacman progress bar because it gradually disappears (PS no it doesn't and it cannot - instead it turns the white dots into black). Though since it overlaps, the bar itself is invisible over white album art.

I should really check how it all looks with the standard stretched album art, because I have that customized with a black border.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #9,972 of 9,972
> add a distinction to the folder you are in when browsing albums as the folder title looks like could be one of the albums

Not sure what you mean, is it this: when you browse files, the top line shows the folder, and the subfolders below have the same icon and indentation. That's just the same in the original 2.0 firmware, the only distinction is the arrow on the right side, and I don't think it can be customized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back