The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Nov 26, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #9,946 of 9,972
wow, there's still activity here in 2020 ...
Since the ongoing world situation prevents me from getting new toys, I am digging back into the box of stuff I have (and have maybe a bit neglected over the years) and I am rediscovering the fiio x3ii
just wonderful that after 5 years and even a weird screen scare for a while, this thing still works very well, sounds very well and is overall a joy to have ... currently it is paired with the fiio Q1ii giving a balanced out for my Hifiman HE400 ... a wonderful set up.

Nov 26, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #9,947 of 9,972
wow, there's still activity here in 2020 ...
Since the ongoing world situation prevents me from getting new toys, I am digging back into the box of stuff I have (and have maybe a bit neglected over the years) and I am rediscovering the fiio x3ii
just wonderful that after 5 years and even a weird screen scare for a while, this thing still works very well, sounds very well and is overall a joy to have ... currently it is paired with the fiio Q1ii giving a balanced out for my Hifiman HE400 ... a wonderful set up.
I love the X3ii myself. I’m searching for another DAP to carry on the torch but may just buy another old X3ii.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #9,948 of 9,972
I love the X3ii myself. I’m searching for another DAP to carry on the torch but may just buy another old X3ii.
Crucial point seems to be the battery. Surprised mine appears to be going still strong. Has anyone done a successful opening / putting new battery in on the x3ii?
Btw, I was surprised how I like the UI much better than compared to pretty much all other DAPs i have. Maybe it’s the iPod wheel :wink:

Feb 8, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #9,950 of 9,972
Boot into safe mode using the option "disable driver signature" (or something along those lines), then try reinstalling them. Or disable secure boot in your BIOS (that's what I've done, no issues installing drivers)

Feb 8, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #9,951 of 9,972
Boot into safe mode using the option "disable driver signature" (or something along those lines), then try reinstalling them. Or disable secure boot in your BIOS (that's what I've done, no issues installing drivers)
I can install drivers no problem, installation goes through successfully. Should i still try these steps?

Feb 9, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #9,952 of 9,972
Feb 9, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #9,954 of 9,972
I can install drivers no problem, installation goes through successfully. Should i still try these steps?

Couldn't hurt. I know drivers can appear to be installed correctly, but actually have been blocked by Windows without notification - thanks MS. IIRC Fiio had the proper installation procedure on their website.

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #9,955 of 9,972
Sorry to have questioned you about this, but this kind of thing often happens to me: I forget some very simple and obvious step and I go in circles trying to solve the problem pinpointing the other more complex things. And then I remember where my mistake was and I 🤦

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #9,957 of 9,972
IMG_20210413_104639.jpg
On lockdown and working from home, I feel the need of constantly changing my workstation. I cannot take the big guns everywhere, so the X3 has been my DAC of choice lately. And what a DAC! This thing really rocks. It has just enough power to push my modded K701, but it does it brilliantly.
It is displaying the non-mqa Tidal hifi bitrates and sampling freqs, which is a good thing, as I can compare them with the mqa on my smsl m500.
Now working in the bedroom, on a garden table...

Nov 1, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #9,958 of 9,972
Hello - putting the X3 2nd gen back in action - now I need to travel more than before and well, the X3 II with the mounting kit works better than, for example my phone with a Q3. BUT have several questions

1) First of all FW - I tried to check FIIO's site to see if there is a FW newer than the 2.0 version I have. The links on FIIO's site do not work. Is there an official source beyond the website? I vaguely remember the FW being distributed thru posts in the forum, but I cannot find those forums nor those posts in the current forum.

2) Has anybody tried Rockbox?

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FiioX3Gen2

Any issues?

Thanks in advance - tried to do searches, but did not find anything newer than 2016 - wanted to make sure I am getting the latest info - Thanks in advance...

Nov 1, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #9,959 of 9,972
Hello - putting the X3 2nd gen back in action - now I need to travel more than before and well, the X3 II with the mounting kit works better than, for example my phone with a Q3. BUT have several questions

1) First of all FW - I tried to check FIIO's site to see if there is a FW newer than the 2.0 version I have. The links on FIIO's site do not work. Is there an official source beyond the website? I vaguely remember the FW being distributed thru posts in the forum, but I cannot find those forums nor those posts in the current forum.

Any issues?

Thanks in advance - tried to do searches, but did not find anything newer than 2016 - wanted to make sure I am getting the latest info - Thanks in advance...

Well, regarding the FW download, scratch that - I tried again today, and was able to download the FW - indeed 2.0 seems to be the latest one. I have found lots of issues and idiosyncrasies with the current FW so would love know if Rockbox is an option - so my second question stands:

Any issues?

Thnx!

Nov 2, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #9,960 of 9,972
Well, regarding the FW download, scratch that - I tried again today, and was able to download the FW - indeed 2.0 seems to be the latest one. I have found lots of issues and idiosyncrasies with the current FW so would love know if Rockbox is an option - so my second question stands:

Any issues?

Thnx!
As far as I know it only has a rockbox wiki sub page, not an actually functional Rockbox port. So just forget about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back