The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Mar 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #9,677 of 9,972
  here are images of the device , maybe it will help you

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FiioX3Gen2

Huh... So those guys just took and used the photos from Sound News?

Does anyone know how to disassemble the x3ii?
I can't seem to remove the front middle button and scroll wheel.

Aren't you disassembling it by removing the back plate? 

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #9,678 of 9,972

It was just a recommendation, not an ideologic statement. If you need 24 bit to be satisfied, I'm fine with that. However, half the file size for (probably) the same sonic result is worth considering.

Ahh, I was just having some fun there.  I must admit that for most rock songs, there really is not much of a difference between 16-44 and higher resolution PCM and DSD.

I usually hear a difference when there are a lot of dynamics and a wider range of instruments than bass guitar, electric guitar, drums, and vocals. 

That ends up being a subset of rock (pop, edm, rap, etc)  and most jazz and classical.

Having said that, its worth checking out hi res Beatles (self ripped from the BluRay of Beatles 1), hi res stones (those were released in many formats); Beck's Sea Change; Miles Davis Kind of Blue (hd tracks),
and hi res classical like Mozart or Bach.  The immersive sound of those recordings are something to behold.

Mar 14, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #9,679 of 9,972

It was just a recommendation, not an ideologic statement. If you need 24 bit to be satisfied, I'm fine with that. However, half the file size for (probably) the same sonic result is worth considering.

Ahh, I was just having some fun there.  I must admit that for most rock songs, there really is not much of a difference between 16-44 and higher resolution PCM and DSD.

I usually hear a difference when there are a lot of dynamics and a wider range of instruments than bass guitar, electric guitar, drums, and vocals. 

That ends up being a subset of rock (pop, edm, rap, etc)  and most jazz and classical.

Having said that, its worth checking out hi res Beatles (self ripped from the BluRay of Beatles 1), hi res stones (those were released in many formats); Beck's Sea Change; Miles Davis Kind of Blue (hd tracks),
and hi res classical like Mozart or Bach.  The immersive sound of those recordings are something to behold.

Actually I was talking of just reducing bit depth to 16 bit and retaining the sampling rate of 88.2 kHz. In Flac that results in about half the file size, in Wave it's 66%. I acknowledge that higher sampling rates can sound slightly more natural, but there are three reasons for limiting myself to 44.1 and 48 kHz: 1) My main source, the FiiO X5 II (I could also replace it by the X3 II), allows equalizing just up to 48 kHz. 2) Storage space is a factor with a DAP, despite two microSD slots. 3) With my Chord DACs, especially the DAVE, 44.1 and 48 kHz already sound so good that the gain from hi-res has become marginal.

Mar 14, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #9,681 of 9,972

Almost all 96/24 releases have been remastered, and are often a lot less compressed than the mass-market CD version. Sometimes the CD mastering is so bad your only real option is to buy it on vinyl and digitise it yourself--the classic examples being Adele's 2nd and 3rd albums, which are full of clipping introduced by an incompetent engineer. These are production flaws, though.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #9,682 of 9,972
Almost all 96/24 releases have been remastered, and are often a lot less compressed than the mass-market CD version. Sometimes the CD mastering is so bad your only real option is to buy it on vinyl and digitise it yourself--the classic examples being Adele's 2nd and 3rd albums, which are full of clipping introduced by an incompetent engineer. These are production flaws, though.

I have to disagree. A lot of the remastered hi-res releases (pop/rock) are victims of the loudness wars and are more compressed. Much more than you think. There are some really good hi-res remasters out there such as Tom Petty & Crosby, Stills, & Nash, and Paul McCartney. But there are some pretty poor hi-res because you can so easily hear the lack of dynamics such as Billy Joel and Aerosmith.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #9,683 of 9,972

I have to disagree. A lot of the remastered hi-res releases (pop/rock) are victims of the loudness wars and are more compressed. Much more than you think. There are some really good hi-res remasters out there such as Tom Petty & Crosby, Stills, & Nash, and Paul McCartney. But there are some pretty poor hi-res because you can so easily hear the lack of dynamics such as Billy Joel and Aerosmith.

I'm not going to deny that there are engineers out there who will take every chance they can get to mess things up. But in general high-res remasters for a niche audience are given the leeway to fix things, or at least just preserve the content of the original release against the ham-handed efforts of inept tinkerers. If there's a specific album you're interested in, it's always best to check first, and there's a site for that (well over 70% of the albums on that list have a DR of 10 or more, which is reasonably acceptable). To pick some examples, the 2009 CD remaster of The Stones' Emotional Rescue has a DR of 8, the 2011 SACD has a DR of 14; the 2009 CD remaster of Undercover has a DR of 9, whereas the 2012 SACD release has a DR of 13. In both these cases the high-res version is the only one available today that preserves the dynamic range seen on the original CD. Aerosmith, on the other hand, has indeed got an abysmal record with highres remasters.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #9,684 of 9,972
  I'm not going to deny that there are engineers out there who will take every chance they can get to mess things up. But in general high-res remasters for a niche audience are given the leeway to fix things, or at least just preserve the content of the original release against the ham-handed efforts of inept tinkerers. If there's a specific album you're interested in, it's always best to check first, and there's a site for that (well over 70% of the albums on that list have a DR of 10 or more, which is reasonably acceptable). To pick some examples, the 2009 CD remaster of The Stones' Emotional Rescue has a DR of 8, the 2011 SACD has a DR of 14; the 2009 CD remaster of Undercover has a DR of 9, whereas the 2012 SACD release has a DR of 13. In both these cases the high-res version is the only one available today that preserves the dynamic range seen on the original CD. Aerosmith, on the other hand, has indeed got an abysmal record with highres remasters.

SACD generally is pretty good (for DR). But it's the 24/96 or 24/192 that can be poorly remastered (flat and aquashed DR). It's a crap shoot and when we lose, we lose big time.

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #9,685 of 9,972

SACD generally is pretty good (for DR). But it's the 24/96 or 24/192 that can be poorly remastered (flat and aquashed DR). It's a crap shoot and when we lose, we lose big time.

You can find examples of poor mastering in any format, and there are plenty of cases in which the 'highres' offering is simply an upsampled version of the CD master, particularly in cases where old material has been 'spruced up' by an artless bumbler for re-release. 
But if you compile the numbers across all formats on the site I linked, only 56.47% of releases (n=105207) have a DR of 10 or greater. Restrict the list to releases tagged 'HDTracks' and this proportion goes up to 70.31% (n=1290). That's a significant difference.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #9,686 of 9,972
Does anyone know how to disassemble the x3ii?
I can't seem to remove the front middle button and scroll wheel.

Dear surikan12,

Maybe you can read this video for help: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjx9l7x6rswmmda/Intructions%20of%20how%20to%20disassemble%20the%20X3II.avi?dl=0

Back-out the Middle button by turning it in anticlockwise direction

It may not be easy to do.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 15, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #9,687 of 9,972
Mar 15, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #9,688 of 9,972

You can find examples of poor mastering in any format, and there are plenty of cases in which the 'highres' offering is simply an upsampled version of the CD master, particularly in cases where old material has been 'spruced up' by an artless bumbler for re-release. 
But if you compile the numbers across all formats on the site I linked, only 56.47% of releases (n=105207) have a DR of 10 or greater. Restrict the list to releases tagged 'HDTracks' and this proportion goes up to 70.31% (n=1290). That's a significant difference.

We have to ignore hi-res releases where there both the hi-res release and the CD release are victims of the loudness wars as those will always be DR challenged. The problem is that without the sites selling hi-res recordings giving us DR numbers, we won't know which releases are good and which are lousy. So sorting through the dreck to find the good stuff is hard to do and expensive.

Yes, a lot of good recordings have now become hi-res noise. When you can easily hear that the DR is squashed, then it becomes not all that enjoyable to listen to.  Also, remember, we are talking rock/pop/country where they can get the stuffing knocked out of them.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #9,689 of 9,972
Is it nomal for the X3ii to get warm during playback just sitting on a desk in a 70-degree F (21 C) room? Low gain @ 50% volume and no EQ, not charging. Music is mostly 44kHz/16bit flac with some mp3.
My X1 never heated up even in my pocket.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #9,690 of 9,972
  Is it nomal for the X3ii to get warm during playback just sitting on a desk in a 70-degree F (21 C) room? Low gain @ 50% volume and no EQ, not charging. Music is mostly 44kHz/16bit flac with some mp3.
My X1 never heated up even in my pocket.

Yes, it is normal 
etysmile.gif

The CPU in your laptop reaches over 80C, don't worry about a DAP getting a little warm, it is just physics. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back