The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Feb 5, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #9,541 of 9,972
  Is there a thread or collection to all X3ii custom FW and UIs? 
biggrin.gif

Well, this thread has them all... but some of them are on a wiki page next to the forums here on head-fi.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #9,546 of 9,972
Hi all,

So I'm about 50 albums into uploading my CD collection.

I was wondering how folks are setting up their folders?  Right now I have each artist as their own folder and then each album(s) from that artist as sub folders.  Well when using 'Browse Folders' on the FiiO I get basically the same view as if I searched by Category  and then Artist.

For 'Browsing Folders' are you using more generic folders, say 'Rock' and then place in that folder Aerosmith, Allman Brothers and so forth.  Then have a 'Metal' folder where I would place Metallica, Megadeth and so forth.?

With thousands of discs I want to keep this somewhat manageable and make corrections before they get out of hand.  For instance, I realized about 10 albums in that the FiiO was sorting by alphabetical order so I had to update the script in Foobar so that it saved by track number then song title.

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #9,547 of 9,972
  Hi all,

I was wondering how folks are setting up their folders?  Right now I have each artist as their own folder and then each album(s) from that artist as sub folders.  Well when using 'Browse Folders' on the FiiO I get basically the same view as if I searched by Category  and then Artist.

For 'Browsing Folders' are you using more generic folders, say 'Rock' and then place in that folder Aerosmith, Allman Brothers and so forth.  Then have a 'Metal' folder where I would place Metallica, Megadeth and so forth.?

With thousands of discs I want to keep this somewhat manageable and make corrections before they get out of hand.  For instance, I realized about 10 albums in that the FiiO was sorting by alphabetical order so I had to update the script in Foobar so that it saved by track number then song title.

I keep my folders organized as 

Genera / Artist / song list 

or 

Genera / Artist / Year - album / song list

It depends on how complex the discography is or if I carry their entire discography with me. 

My genera folder is not exactly straight tho. 

For example, I have a folder dedicated to all progressive rock bands, even tho some of them would be post hardcore progressive or shred progressive . 

I also like to alternate short with long group names so they are even easier to spot!

and one last trick, in F2K, when splitting files or encoding, I am going with this: 

Artist / Year - Album Name / SongNo. Song Name

The idea is that I did like this No. Song Name because it is much easier to spot than doing No. Band Name - Song  Name 

Hope this helps you in this beautiful audio journey! 

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #9,548 of 9,972
If you're looking for just easy navigation with as few selections as possible (to get where you want), a number of us use .....

\A-C\Artists\Albums\tracks
\D-F\Artists\Albums\tracks
\G-I\Artists\Albums\tracks

etc

Doesn't encompass genre - but saves the extremely long scrolling with a large collection :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #9,549 of 9,972
  Hi all,

For 'Browsing Folders' are you using more generic folders, say 'Rock' and then place in that folder Aerosmith, Allman Brothers and so forth.  Then have a 'Metal' folder where I would place Metallica, Megadeth and so forth.? Yes. I have like classical-concerto, classical-symphony, jazz, vocal-female, etc. Inside each I sort by artist (composer for classical) and then album.

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #9,550 of 9,972
Any one recommend a good amp fo this? I currently have a Fiio E6 FiiO E6 Portable Audio Headphone Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_W8vOybNTQCXZ2 I feel I need a little more power for the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x.

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #9,551 of 9,972
Any one recommend a good amp fo this? I currently have a Fiio E6 FiiO E6 Portable Audio Headphone Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HJWWW8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_W8vOybNTQCXZ2 I feel I need a little more power for the Audio-Technica ATH-R70x.

The Fiio A5 is a good amp. It can drive the Sennheiser HD6xx (HD650) no problem. If you want a desktop solution, the K5 is good to go.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #9,553 of 9,972

Why would you use the E6 with the X3ii when the X3ii has significantly greater power output than the E6? Why not just use the X3ii alone? If the power output of the X3ii is not great enough then the A5 would be the next step, as already recommended.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #9,554 of 9,972
Thanks everyone for your input on the folder management.

I'll have to think hard about either doing A-C, D-I, etc or by genre Metal, Rock, Pop, etc...

I'm leaning towards managing by genre as often I'm more in the mood for something rather than a specific artist.

I suppose next will be to create playlists in FooBar and move those to the X3.

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #9,555 of 9,972
  Thanks everyone for your input on the folder management.

I'll have to think hard about either doing A-C, D-I, etc or by genre Metal, Rock, Pop, etc...

I'm leaning towards managing by genre as often I'm more in the mood for something rather than a specific artist.

I suppose next will be to create playlists in FooBar and move those to the X3.

I hope you're having a lot of fun doing this! 

I just am on my third day spent (lost?) on managing my large collection of music and re-tagging things, and renaming files and folders. I should make a thread of utilities that any audiophile really needs, some of them are hard to come by. 

For example, there is a batc rename utility that you really need if you're going to do renaming of folders and files for an album for example 

All my folders look like this now 

Artist / year - album / nn - name of track . flac 

So 

Post Hardcore/Protest the Hero/2004 - A Calculated Use of Sound/07 - I Am Dmitri Karamazov And The World Is My Father .flac

For example. Much neater to the eye now 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back