The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jan 24, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #9,511 of 9,972
  You must be listening at a really high volume level (bad for your hearing) if you can max out the X3ii w/ 400i, I can't listen at more 95/120 which is about 87-93dB

You know things are rough when you are a loud listener and someone quotes a higher listening volume than you 
biggrin.gif
 (my situation sometimes)
Just curious, X3ii able to drive 250Ohm headphone?
I tried it with HE-400i, darn hard to drive haha, I max out the volume on my X3ii with high gain, though what I heard from the headphone is not with Low volume but can feel that it's struggling, not dynamic.

I would hold you a second there - not having enough power to drive aka not being driven well is a different thing than not enough volume. You're sure you didn't have EQ engaged at the moment?

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #9,512 of 9,972
You know things are rough when you are a loud listener and someone quotes a higher listening volume than you :D  (my situation sometimes)

I would hold you a second there - not having enough power to drive aka not being driven well is a different thing than not enough volume. You're sure you didn't have EQ engaged at the moment?

Nope. No EQ. Good you got the points clearer, I think the process was this, I felt that it's not driven well so I tried with higher and higher volume thinking that may be more power would have shown better sound, however end up I still felt that it's "struggling" (not in term of volume). It could be due to I had wrong expectation. It was a brief testing at a shop so I'm not able to repeat again.
Anyway I'm still happily using my X3ii daily with my IEMs.
Just that recently I'm considering Earbud VE Zen2.0 which is with high impedance, then saw your comment, so trying to understand better the capability of X3ii (understood sensitivity also plays an important factor)

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #9,513 of 9,972
Nope. No EQ. Good you got the points clearer, I think the process was this, I felt that it's not driven well so I tried with higher and higher volume thinking that may be more power would have shown better sound, however end up I still felt that it's "struggling" (not in term of volume). It could be due to I had wrong expectation. It was a brief testing at a shop so I'm not able to repeat again.
Anyway I'm still happily using my X3ii daily with my IEMs.
Just that recently I'm considering Earbud VE Zen2.0 which is with high impedance, then saw your comment, so trying to understand better the capability of X3ii (understood sensitivity also plays an important factor)

I think that X3ii should be able to drive VE ZEN 2.0 well. 

All hifiman are hard to drive headphones - in my experience I could enjoy HD800 with FiiO x5ii - but hifiman needed something like fiio k5 or E12 to be driven to full power. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #9,514 of 9,972

I think that X3ii should be able to drive VE ZEN 2.0 well. 

All hifiman are hard to drive headphones - in my experience I could enjoy HD800 with FiiO x5ii - but hifiman needed something like fiio k5 or E12 to be driven to full power. 

the only hifiman headphone that I would put in the hard to drive list is the HE-560, all the others were much easier to drive IMO.  The best the HD-560 sounded is paired with a Hugo or Liquid Glass.  The X3ii is a decent DAP and while not the most powerful its not a bad DAP to me, just not the optimum with some headphones.,

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #9,515 of 9,972
  the only hifiman headphone that I would put in the hard to drive list is the HE-560, all the others were much easier to drive IMO.  The best the HD-560 sounded is paired with a Hugo or Liquid Glass.  The X3ii is a decent DAP and while not the most powerful its not a bad DAP to me, just not the optimum with some headphones.,

Oh.... Chance is that HE560 is the only one I tried 
rolleyes.gif

The shop told me that the others were somewhat similarly hard to drive so I didn't investigate. 

I personally felt that He 560 lacked some bass and some treble for me tastes alas they were quite good headphones. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #9,516 of 9,972
Just curious, X3ii able to drive 250Ohm headphone?
I tried it with HE-400i, darn hard to drive haha, I max out the volume on my X3ii with high gain, though what I heard from the headphone is not with Low volume but can feel that it's struggling, not dynamic.

HE-400i is something like 35 ohm/93 dB, which is easier to drive compared to my K612 (120 ohm/~92 dB) but if you find HE-400i quiet with X3ii it's interesting because I rarely listen full volume even with my K612 and I prefer listening to music really loud as well. But if you're talking about the dynamics of the sound, HE-400i is an inefficient planar, it may not sound as its best. For example; with my X3ii, my K612 is sounding pretty good, quite dynamic and gets literally loud but not the best dynamics in the world

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #9,518 of 9,972
  Is it possible to set my fiio a litter warmer through EQ settings?

I think you can feel slighty warmer sound if you boost low frequencies. Or you can lower the upper mid range. But the terms like warm or cold are characteristic things, it's not directly connected to EQ. But a headphone amp can make our source warmer at all, Fiio amps are neutral though. (if I'm not mistaken)

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #9,519 of 9,972

Oh.... Chance is that HE560 is the only one I tried 
rolleyes.gif

The shop told me that the others were somewhat similarly hard to drive so I didn't investigate. 

I personally felt that He 560 lacked some bass and some treble for me tastes alas they were quite good headphones. 

The first clue to the HE-560 being under driven is the lack of bass.  Someone explained that it needs more current(?) to sound good, which is why I think they sound a touch better on my Lyr2 over my Ember, the Lyr2 has a bit more current.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #9,520 of 9,972
  The first clue to the HE-560 being under driven is the lack of bass.  Someone explained that it needs more current(?) to sound good, which is why I think they sound a touch better on my Lyr2 over my Ember, the Lyr2 has a bit more current.

Good to know! 

Thank you for telling me! 

I'll test again if I have the chance!

Is it possible to set my fiio a litter warmer through EQ settings?

That's quite simple! 

Increase the first 3 sliders with 4, 2 and 2 DB and decrease the last 2 sliders with 2 and 2. 

Let us know if it worked for you! 

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #9,521 of 9,972
HE-400i is something like 35 ohm/93 dB, which is easier to drive compared to my K612 (120 ohm/~92 dB) but if you find HE-400i quiet with X3ii it's interesting because I rarely listen full volume even with my K612 and I prefer listening to music really loud as well. But if you're talking about the dynamics of the sound, HE-400i is an inefficient planar, it may not sound as its best. For example; with my X3ii, my K612 is sounding pretty good, quite dynamic and gets literally loud but not the best dynamics in the world

I think it's more about dynamics of the sound, yup you are right, thanks for reminded me it's inefficient planar unlike PM3 or HE400S :)

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #9,522 of 9,972
I think it's more about dynamics of the sound, yup you are right, thanks for reminded me it's inefficient planar unlike PM3 or HE400S
smily_headphones1.gif

Have fun!
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm gonna buy a Fiio K5 soon, I will share my experiences about the effects of K5 on my AKG K612. Honestly, I'm wondering the ''true potential'' of this headphone too badly. I'm really digging it even with my X3ii only
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #9,524 of 9,972

Good to know! 

Thank you for telling me! 

I'll test again if I have the chance!

That's quite simple! 

Increase the first 3 sliders with 4, 2 and 2 DB and decrease the last 2 sliders with 2 and 2. 

Let us know if it worked for you! 

+4, +2, +2 and last to -2, -2.....sounds better instantly. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back