The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Sep 13, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #5,717 of 9,972
  I was wondering if anyone came across this issue.  I recently got a PNY 128 GB SD card.  I formatted it with the X3II, and transferred music to it using an USB 3.0 card reader.  When the card is mostly empty with only a couple of folders, I have no problems, but when the card is loaded with some music, high resolution files, specifically 192/24 and DSD64 stutter like crazy.  96/24 and 88/24 files also stutter, but not as much.  No problems with 48/24 or lower.  I also have a 64 GB SanDisk that exhibit no stuttering.  Running benchmarks in Windows 10, the PNY card is faster than the SanDisk in both read and write.

I'm running the 1.3 firmware, but the player did the same thing with 1.1 and 1.16 beta firmwares.  I have reformatted the card several times with the X3II to no avail.  My player's NB is W233b.

I had this same issue originally when I first got the X3 2nd Gen (just as it came out, with original firmware) while using a Kingston 128GB micro SDXC card (class 10).  I thought I had the problem solved after reformatting the card several times (via the player), but I stopped using the player for a while, until about a month ago.  I've noticed the stuttering problem occurring again and I tried updating the firmware (first to the latest beta a couple of weeks ago, and now to the 1.3 that just came out), but neither seemed to make a difference (including reformatting the card again).  My player's NB is M122a.

After a bit of trial and error by testing different 24bit FLAC and wav files with varying sampling rates (44.1 to 192), for me the stuttering problem only seems to occur specifically with wav files, and only those that are above 96KHz (which most of my purchased music is).  However after converting some wav files to FLAC and testing them, I haven't experienced any further stuttering problems, so I will probably just do that for all of my music and check it more thoroughly over time.  (Note I haven't tested with any DSD files so I wouldn't know if the stuttering problem occurs for me there too.)

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #5,718 of 9,972

@dogmusic:  How exactly did you reformat the card that was having issues, in your case?  The guy asking the question says that he reformatted it in the X3ii itself, but that didn't help.

I reformatted that card in the exact same way I have formatted all cards used with the X3ii, that is, in the X3ii itself.

It may have something to do with card compatibility. But the card I had trouble with was a Lexar Class 10 64GB bought at Best Buy, so it should have been okay.

Also, since it's been working better, I still haven't re-transferred many files, so perhaps Fiio requires a lot of empty space to work properly with Hi-Res.

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,719 of 9,972
I got to say that the only reason I'm not selling my X3II is the fact it has gapless playback which I need because of my edm mixes that are tracked of which I have quite a few. If my HM-601LE had gapless I'd have no problem selling the X3II right now. Its not that its a terrible player or anything like that it just doesn't pair as well with my favorite headphone (Sony Z7) as my Hifiman does. What it comes down to is I like the more prominent mids of the 601LE as well as the warmer analog sound signature. So until I find a player that sounds a lot like my 601LE and has gapless I'm keeping the Fiio.

I have a feeling after reading a lot of comparisons of the original X3 and the gen 2 that I'd like the original much more because of the warmer organic sound it has. So maybe I just need to sell my gen 2 and get the original, or better yet if there's anyone that wants to do a loan so I can try the first gen X3 PM so we can set up a swap for a week or 2.
Rockbox

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,720 of 9,972
I've got a 64gig sandisk card full of flac with just a few MB of free space and they play fine. Of course this is 16/44 rips from CDs and purchases from Bandcamp and 7digital. I don't have anything higher in resolution to test, but wish I did just to test. Has anyone contacted FiiO to see if this is a known issue? Or if it's just brand specific issue in regards to the cards? I'm just curious about this for some reason.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #5,723 of 9,972
Sep 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #5,724 of 9,972
anyone experiencing problem with digital out of x3 ? mine gives heavy distortion through digital out fed to Hugo dac .

I take it you have the latest firmware on it. So I would contact FiiO. There seems to be something wrong with your player.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #5,726 of 9,972
Not that I know of but the Hifiman can and it is amazing.

Well the upcoming X7 is giong to use Android and so will probably be abel to be Rockboxed.  Very nice :)

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #5,728 of 9,972
@jazz, it has latest firmware. I think I should report it to fiio !

That would be the best move. FWIW on the X5ii tour unit I had a dead coaxial adaptor which FiiO was prompt to have replaced. It could be the TRRS to RCA adaptor that came with your X3ii that's at fault. Perhaps you could PM Joe Bloggs as well.

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #5,729 of 9,972
Hi guys!

Having only 1 SanDisk Ultra plus, 64 GB SDxc card, containing all my best songs... Do have to reformate each time I'lll swap daps ?

Having allready an X1 with 17.6 GB left on Sandisk Ultra 64 GB card. (1907 files) I will eventualy upgrade for a new X3 II

My question ambarassing me her is "Do I will need to reformate my card again, over & over ? Do have to reformate everytime I'lll change for new daps ?

If so, i will lost all my songs, I will need to backup then all my song on another drive. Unfortunately, No drive available for that space now!

Thanks for feedbacks!

:wink:

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #5,730 of 9,972
Hi guys!

Having only 1 SanDisk Ultra plus, 64 GB SDxc card, containing all my best songs... Do have to reformate each time I'lll swap daps ?

Having allready an X1 with 17.6 GB left on Sandisk Ultra 64 GB card. (1907 files) I will eventualy upgrade for a new X3 II

My question ambarassing me her is "Do I will need to reformate my card again, over & over ? Do have to reformate everytime I'lll change for new daps ?

If so, i will lost all my songs, I will need to backup then all my song on another drive. Unfortunately, No drive available for that space now!

Thanks for feedbacks!

:wink:

No you don't. The card will work fine across all FiiO DAPs and I can confirm it will work with the Cayin N6 as well.

As long as it was formatted as FAT32 (preferably from the players Settings menu / format option) it will work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back