The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 6, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #5,191 of 9,972
It's just a code referring to the hardware version.  If I remember correctly, Fiio changed the RAM they were using between production runs.

In general - I honestly don't know what the fuss is about. People go crazy over fw versions with claims of sound changing, speed etc, etc.  Guess what - my X3ii plays music.  It has done from day one.  It has maybe glitched twice in all the time I've had it.  Most of the time I don't have the screen on - so I never notice lag between music playing and art changing.  And it's not an iPod UI - but it has better hardware (decent line out, DAC function, decent EQ, digital out) - and it's only $200.  There are trade-offs between different players.  Half the issues are when peopel expect a $200 player to match a $800+ one.

I'll also add that the other half of issues are when the DAP isn't tied to a closed environment like iTunes to take care of the heavy lifting and with limited format support by Apple and no option for user formatted card options from third parties. The expanded format support and open system means that a few good practices need to be adhered to by the user, which are well documented by FiiO.

Aug 6, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #5,192 of 9,972

It's just a code referring to the hardware version.  If I remember correctly, Fiio changed the RAM they were using between production runs.

In general - I honestly don't know what the fuss is about. People go crazy over fw versions with claims of sound changing, speed etc, etc.  Guess what - my X3ii plays music.  It has done from day one.  It has maybe glitched twice in all the time I've had it.  Most of the time I don't have the screen on - so I never notice lag between music playing and art changing.  And it's not an iPod UI - but it has better hardware (decent line out, DAC function, decent EQ, digital out) - and it's only $200.  There are trade-offs between different players.  Half the issues are when peopel expect a $200 player to match a $800+ one.

Do you know where I could find the info on what changes were made between the different NB hardware versions?  Is the hardware on the older NB w233b somehow "inferior?"  Because from the glitches some people seem to be getting, it seems like maybe it is.

Aug 6, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #5,193 of 9,972
You'd need to ask Fiio that.  All I remember is an announcement about slightly different hardware - and tied into a firmware change for the newer ones (to add stability).  Mine is on of the older hardware models.  I upgraded the fw anyway - but I never have any issues with the X3ii. The announcement was somewhere on this forum if you want to use the search function and have a little spare time up your sleeve.

I'd do it for you - but am a bit time stretched at the moment 
redface.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #5,194 of 9,972
  You'd need to ask Fiio that.  All I remember is an announcement about slightly different hardware - and tied into a firmware change for the newer ones (to add stability).  Mine is on of the older hardware models.  I upgraded the fw anyway - but I never have any issues with the X3ii. The announcement was somewhere on this forum if you want to use the search function and have a little spare time up your sleeve.

I'd do it for you - but am a bit time stretched at the moment 
redface.gif

With the 1.11 beta firmware, I get the error message when disconnecting/reconnecting headphones, it's really annoying, so I had to switch back to the stable 1.1 :frowning2:

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #5,196 of 9,972
X3 => X1 => waited for X5II => read through reviews => reviewed my priorities => looked at my wallet =>X3 2nd Gen => once more, a satisfied customer for a few days now that I have been using the X3 2nd Gen :)

For someone who is not fond of using an equalizer, what I do miss is the hardware Bass & Treble of the X3. Aside from this, Fiio has proven once again that good music need not be an expensive status symbol for those who simply want good music :)

Hats off to James and the Fiio Team!

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #5,197 of 9,972
  When updating the media library it gets stuck at 4544.

How do I fix that?

Have a look at that specific track or one number above. Probably the Tag of that file is incompatible with the X3 II.

Aug 8, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #5,198 of 9,972
Hi all, I'm in doubt between fiio x1 and x3 2nd, I need it only for headphones listening so I wouldn't use line out and dac function of X3. I don't want to use an headphone amplifier. Does X3 sound better or have more power to justify the price difference or should I buy a X1 and maybe spend more on headphones?

Headphones:Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Grado sr80.. something like that.. 200€ max, so it won't have to drive a 600 ohm headphones

thanks!

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #5,199 of 9,972
X3ii has arguably better sound - I prefer it to the X1.  But for the headphones you currently have,a nd considering you don't need the DAC function, the X1 will do you fine.  And no - you don't need an amp with them :)

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #5,201 of 9,972
The headphones themselves will always have the most effect on SQ - but with X3ii vs X1, I was only telling you my preferences.  The differences are not huge.  And the X1 is a pretty nice little player. Why not start with that, enjoy whatever headphones you end up buying, and don't worry about upgrading until down the track a little.  If there are ever any Head-Fi Meets in your area, get along to one of them and see if you can demo some gear.

In short - spend what you can afford, but you don't need to go overboard to get good sound.

Aug 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #5,202 of 9,972
many thanks man! you have been really really kind, I'll follow you advice, I'm ordering the X1 and trying it with my creative aurvana and than I'll see, or if I'm lucky try, some headphones.
thanks again

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #5,203 of 9,972
Just got my X3ii (upgrade from Cowon i10) and the SQ blew me away! Such a powerful player with a very reasonable and affordable price tag, good job FiiO!

Unfortunately my Westone W2s are dying and I'm looking at another upgrade to go with my X3. Torn between Shure SE535 (normal edition), Westone UM Pro 30 and W30. Any recommendations guys?

Aug 9, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #5,204 of 9,972
Just got my X3ii (upgrade from Cowon i10) and the SQ blew me away! Such a powerful player with a very reasonable and affordable price tag, good job FiiO!

Unfortunately my Westone W2s are dying and I'm looking at another upgrade to go with my X3. Torn between Shure SE535 (normal edition), Westone UM Pro 30 and W30. Any recommendations guys?

I recommend Earsonics Velvet. Shure SE535's are definitely good IEMs, but the Velvets are on another level and leave no further desires to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back