The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 20, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4,503 of 9,972
Jun 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #4,504 of 9,972
I really like the Dignis case and don't mind the strap. I take mine out on hikes so a case is imperative. I think it adds to the look...

Paired with Picollo? Love it... Have the same combo.

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #4,505 of 9,972
Haku,
You and I got our cases at about the same time, same color. Nice with this amp. We even have the same IC, I think. Great minds think alike. I love this combo. Cheers to you.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #4,506 of 9,972
I just posted my review of the X3ii.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13408

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #4,507 of 9,972
My review was more based on the product itself, although at the stage I wrote this it was still fairly new.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13301

I've read Pinkypower's review also which gives a different perception.

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #4,508 of 9,972
To be honest I never really understood this protective case fetish...

Maybe because I use my X3 mainly indoors. Taking out for some holidays 3-4 times a year.

But it is so sturdy and even with this brushed metal finish quite scratch resistant, I just do not see the point why to make it bulkier with a case.

If I used it daily on public transport, that would be a different story. But otherwise...

Yeah I like the naked look myself. I use mine as an on the go unit quite a bit and it still looks good as new. Have to admit though those cases do look sweet.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #4,509 of 9,972
Yeah I like the naked look myself. I use mine as an on the go unit quite a bit and it still looks good as new. Have to admit though those cases do look sweet.

It's good to know you use yours without a case and it looks good as new...maybe they are pretty scratch resistant. Mine always has the case on it but I do love the look of the device when I take off the case!

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #4,510 of 9,972
Jun 22, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #4,511 of 9,972
  I just posted my review of the X3ii.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13408

Thanks for the honest comparison and personal impression!
Mine is Dragonfly 1.0c, and it does sounds more spacious and transparent than X3ii. But for transparent sounding IEM like my DN-1000 and DN-2000, they sound more balance with the X3ii, though I also like them with the Dragonly.
I guess you like transparent and open sounding sound character. Some people might prefer warmer and full bodied kind of sound signature, like the Astell&Kern house sound. Recently I compared X3ii with AK Junior. AK Junior still carries the warm and full bodied midrange and bass from AK house sound, and probably a better choice for bass lover. But X3ii sounds more transparent than AK Junior, with better spaciousness. I tested them with DUNU DN-2000. So, it is pretty much on personal preferences, not about which one sounds better. Also matching with IEMs. Bright IEMs would probably match the AK better, while those who prefer transparency and spacious sound would probably prefer X3ii (or Dragonfly).

My review was more based on the product itself, although at the stage I wrote this it was still fairly new.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ultraportable-hi-res-dap/reviews/13301

I've read Pinkypower's review also which gives a different perception.

Regarding TASCAM codec, TASCAM recently released a free High Resolution Editor, that can converts DSD and PCM. I haven't tried it, as I still use KORG AudioGate 2.3.3 most of the time for DSD to PCM or PCM to DSD conversion.

Jun 22, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #4,512 of 9,972
The X3ii is getting some great reviews and is very tempting. But I'm looking for a new DAP to drive my HD650's. Out the X3ii, X5ii and DX90, which is going to exploit and drive the HD650's to the best of it's abilities?  Thanks

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #4,513 of 9,972
  The X3ii is getting some great reviews and is very tempting. But I'm looking for a new DAP to drive my HD650's. Out the X3ii, X5ii and DX90, which is going to exploit and drive the HD650's to the best of it's abilities?  Thanks

I only have X3ii and DX90. DX90 has more treble sparkle that might balanced the warm and dark signature of HD650 better.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #4,515 of 9,972

Thanks for the honest comparison and personal impression!
Mine is Dragonfly 1.0c, and it does sounds more spacious and transparent than X3ii. But for transparent sounding IEM like my DN-1000 and DN-2000, they sound more balance with the X3ii, though I also like them with the Dragonly.
I guess you like transparent and open sounding sound character. Some people might prefer warmer and full bodied kind of sound signature, like the Astell&Kern house sound. Recently I compared X3ii with AK Junior. AK Junior still carries the warm and full bodied midrange and bass from AK house sound, and probably a better choice for bass lover. But X3ii sounds more transparent than AK Junior, with better spaciousness. I tested them with DUNU DN-2000. So, it is pretty much on personal preferences, not about which one sounds better. Also matching with IEMs. Bright IEMs would probably match the AK better, while those who prefer transparency and spacious sound would probably prefer X3ii (or Dragonfly)

I wonder if the Dragonfly 1.2 is more neutral than the original. Because to my ears it didn't sound less so than the X3ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back