The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 3, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #4,066 of 9,972
Yep, I tried to remove a sticker from screen protector. Guess what!
The whole protector detached. I put it back, but it has few bubbles
of air and else.
Thanks for help.

You only pulled the top cover off.  That is what is supposed to happen.  Don't try and it put it back on.

When you pull the top cover off - the actual screen protector is already still in place.  If you look really closely - you'll see it :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #4,067 of 9,972
On my first-gen X3, I'm able to have music playing both from the HO and the LO (running thru a headphone amp) at the same time. (Nice for a shared listening experience that no one else can hear.)

Is this still possible with the second-gen X3?  Does this work on any other FiiO DAPs?

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #4,068 of 9,972
I can't find any hard and fast numbers on the amp output of either the X3ii or the X5ii. I'd like to get better numbers than what's on the FiiO website, which is >225 @ 32ohm for the X3ii, and >245 @32ohm for the X5ii. I'd like some firm numbers so I can compare, and decide if I want to upgrade when the X5ii comes out. I'd like to be getting about 300mW @ 32ohm, so I can make sure I'm driving my Aurisonics 2.5s properly, without a stack, as I want to keep it pocketable. If the X3ii already does this, then I can forget the X5ii, and just enjoy what I have.

I've done some measurement with digital oscilloscope that I will post in my review (coming soon). Meanwhile, you can do your own calculation from the following screen captures of my digital oscilloscope:

This is for High gain setting (Low gain measurement and other details in my review later):

Maximum Vpp and Vrms at High Impedance, 600 ohms load:
7.8 Vpp & 2.685 Vrms

Maximum current output at 15 ohms load before the sine wave get distorted (FFT window):
3.36 Vpp & 1.16 Vrms

That means, maximum current from the headphone output is 77.3 mA.
That means at 32 ohms load, calculated power output is 191.4 mW.
Please take note, I don't have accurate measurement instrument, so the result is just some estimation.

I've tested X3ii to drive some full size headphones:
Philips Fidelio X1, Philips SHP9500, Shure SRH840, Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 & Audio-Technica ATH-M50, no driving issue at all. All driven well, didn't hear any lack of power.

And recently tested this at local headphone shop, one word, impressive!

Fiio X3 2nd gen with portable amplifier Fiio E12DIY (Op-Amp OPA827 + Buffer LME49600).

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #4,069 of 9,972
  On my first-gen X3, I'm able to have music playing both from the HO and the LO (running thru a headphone amp) at the same time. (Nice for a shared listening experience that no one else can hear.)

Is this still possible with the second-gen X3?  Does this work on any other FiiO DAPs?

Unfortunately no on Fiio X3ii. Headphone output is disconnected when line output connected.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #4,071 of 9,972
earfonia Thanks for the detailed answer. Puts some questions in my mind. I'll have to wait for the reviews of the X5ii, to see if the sound sig will be what I want. Appreciated.

Right, most important is the player match your sound preference.

Next week or week after next i might have the chance to pair it with ASG 2.5. Will share impression later.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #4,072 of 9,972
You only pulled the top cover off.  That is what is supposed to happen.  Don't try and it put it back on.
When you pull the top cover off - the actual screen protector is already still in place.  If you look really closely - you'll see it :)

Yeah! Panic driven. All looks fine now, it was only a cover over the protector.
Next to solve it how to find proper cushion for shure se210. Neither of those
included suit me. When bass is correct, I miss uppers. And vice versa. I
will try silicons at last. Have to find a store with spare parts for buds.
Thanks all for support in life threatening times.   :)

Jun 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #4,073 of 9,972
Anyone have any interesting reads on DSD?

Like this: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/DSD.htm

Jun 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,074 of 9,972
Hi

I will get my X3 tomorrow but i have a question until. Is there any difference in SQ if i use it low gain with higher volume or high gain with lower volume? I have a Vsonic AN16 now so no need for high gain, just curious.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #4,075 of 9,972
Similarly to XciteMatz (post #3324) I have experienced some stuttering on my X3 2nd gen. It would resemble rapid successive pausing and playing of sound and it would occur once or twice during a song and last 1-2 seconds each time. I haven't tried formatting cards but I've narrowed it down to the higher quality FLAC tracks e.g. 24bit/96kHz, 24bit/192kHz. That being said, I haven't had any problems with DSD playback so far. About three albums that I have found on my 128 GB card were affected. The tracks play fine on my PC with a DAC and only stutter on the X3 2nd gen. In case anyone else has this issue, I fixed it by using foobar2000 with the FLAC 1.3.1 binary (64bit) and I re-converted the songs to FLAC. I set the level of compression to 0 in order to avoid quality loss and the tracks came out with the same sample rate and bits per sample, but slightly higher bitrate and slightly larger file size. The stuttering disappeared and I haven't noticed a difference in quality or the listening experience. 

Update 22/09/2015 - This only makes the problem less regular but it doesn't actually fix it. I have now found a lot more albums that are affected, some of them being official downloads from HDtracks. Formatting the cards didn't help. I can add that the problem occurs on both the analogue and the digital (coax) output and that the digital output on the FiiO X3 2nd Gen plays tracks up to 24bit/96kHz and not 24bit/192kHz as one could assume from their website.

Update 10/10/2015 - I've been doing some more troubleshooting and I've narrowed the issue down to my 128 GB Samsung micro SDXC UHS-I class 10 card. The stutter can occur with all sorts of file types including flac, mp3 and dff (dsd). I have to give credit to XciteMatz again, post #5717. I have discovered that when playing some songs off the 128GB Samsung card, there is a stutter which occurs 1-2 times per song. Interestingly, the less free space there is on the card, the more the issue occurs. Initially, I thought that there was something wrong with the DAP but I've narrowed the issue down to this specific card. I have also noticed that during the file transfers between the computer and the card, the speed fluctuates more than other cards. I have a 5 year old 32GB class 10 Samsung micro SD card and I've had no issues with it at all, playing the same files, even when the card is filled to its full capacity. I'm currently troubleshooting with Samsung and waiting for a replacement. I'll keep updating this post in case anyone else comes across this issue.

Update 19/12/2015 - The issue is finally resolved. I've received a replacement card from Samsung and the same issue occurred on another card of the same model. The model is 128GB EVO Micro SDXC UHS-I Class 10. It's clear that this model of micro SD is not capable of high quality audio playback and I suspect that this is because of the volatile data transfer rate that sometimes fails to catch up with the song playback and then causes the songs to stutter. However, I could be wrong. I'm usually happy with Samsung products but this one was a huge disappointment. I'll be receiving a refund, 3 months after discovering the issue. On the other hand, I can confirm that the SanDisk 128GB MicroSDXC Ultra Class 10 has no issues at all playing the same tracks on the same DAPs.

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4,076 of 9,972
  Hi

I will get my X3 tomorrow but i have a question until. Is there any difference in SQ if i use it low gain with higher volume or high gain with lower volume? I have a Vsonic AN16 now so no need for high gain, just curious.

I am using high gain at mid to low volume with my Shure SE425s.  I thought the high gain sounded a little more lively at mid to low volumes vs. cranking up the low gain to high volumes, YMMV.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,077 of 9,972
Well, I just bought a 1st Gen. X3. I really liked the sound sig. of it, and I'm just not sure the X3ii is for me. It plays well, but I feel it doesn't have the power of the 1st one, and I miss the hardware bass/treble controls. I'll get it Monday, and do some listening with my Aurisonics 2.5s, and keep the one I like better, and send back the other. Time will tell.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #4,078 of 9,972
I am using high gain at mid to low volume with my Shure SE425s.  I thought the high gain sounded a little more lively at mid to low volumes vs. cranking up the low gain to high volumes, YMMV.

You just haven't volume matched properly. High gain low volume will sound exactly same as low gain higher volume - if the actual volume is correctly matched. It's a common mistake to make. We prefer the louder option (more dynamics etc).

Rule of thumb - use low gain unless you run out of head room and need more volume. By engaging high gain all you are potentially doing is also raising the noise floor. The SE425 don't need the extra power either (very sensitive earphones). I had a pair and loved them.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #4,079 of 9,972
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot after work.

Do yall think the type of SD card really matters at all besides the time it takes to copy the files onto it? 

Also what transfer speeds do you get when copying through USB to the card inside the X3K??  Are yall doing it this way or are you pulling out the SD card?  Why the hell can I buy 3x 64GB cards for the price of 1x 128GB card?  Is the 64GB really on sale or is this just the cost of getting a 128GB?  I can understand the 128GB being maybe 50% more per GB, but not over 3x more.

Jun 4, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #4,080 of 9,972
Well, I just bought a 1st Gen. X3. I really liked the sound sig. of it, and I'm just not sure the X3ii is for me. It plays well, but I feel it doesn't have the power of the 1st one, and I miss the hardware bass/treble controls. I'll get it Monday, and do some listening with my Aurisonics 2.5s, and keep the one I like better, and send back the other. Time will tell.

Once more unto the breach
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back