The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Apr 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #2,596 of 9,972
  i agree wholeheartedly @Tuneslover ! i've been very vocal on this subject since i've received mine last week. at this point in technology, the UI of the X3II is borderline unacceptable. i expect much better usability from a 200$ media player considering it only has one real function PLAY MUSIC! the DAC feature is just icing on the cake as far as im concerned :)

Trust me, the UI is already a big upgrade for people like us who used the first X3.

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #2,597 of 9,972
i agree wholeheartedly @Tuneslover ! i've been very vocal on this subject since i've received mine last week. at this point in technology, the UI of the X3II is borderline unacceptable. i expect much better usability from a 200$ media player considering it only has one real function PLAY MUSIC! the DAC feature is just icing on the cake as far as im concerned :)

have you try Ibasso's UI?
If you have, i'm somewhat interested to know your take on which one is better between the two...

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #2,598 of 9,972

Trust me, the UI is already a big upgrade for people like us who used the first X3.

fair enough, but its still not an excuse, nor is it acceptable in my opinion, and i don't think i'm alone on this one. the only way to get things fixed is to air them on a public forum like head-fi where you know the devs are. as displeased as i am with the UI, its current state WORKS, albeit not that great, but i'll never be a jerk about it, so whenever they get to it, ill be much appreciative. hopefully @JamesFiiO will read this and keep us informed about any possible future FW updates and/or feature requests.... hint hint. haha i <3 this forum, and i love FiiO's products, keep it up!

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #2,599 of 9,972

i agree wholeheartedly @Tuneslover ! i've been very vocal on this subject since i've received mine last week. at this point in technology, the UI of the X3II is borderline unacceptable. i expect much better usability from a 200$ media player considering it only has one real function PLAY MUSIC! the DAC feature is just icing on the cake as far as im concerned
smily_headphones1.gif

have you try Ibasso's UI?
If you have, i'm somewhat interested to know your take on which one is better between the two...

i've never used ibasso's products at all, so i'm not the one to ask about that, sorry mang. im sure someone else can chime in...

Apr 23, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,602 of 9,972
Much of a muchness really. The iBasso UI is a little more snappy (little) and you can zoom around using the touch screen, though an important thing to remember about FiiO X1 and X3K is when the wheel gives you problems people, when you feel getting somewhere will take a lot of scrolling simply press and hold the bottom left / right buttons to scroll faster. I think many people feel locked in by the scroll wheel which isn't the case.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2,604 of 9,972

thanks for the tip! very glad to hear it works for you.
I think I somehow broke something with pulse. Will do a clean install later today and try again. For now, I kicked out pulseaudio and use alsa instead, that works just fine. but need to find a way to get cantata/mpd back for DSD support.
can you send me the link of the page you found with this information?

If I'd be any near you I'd invite you for a beer mate. guess you're not from Austria...

yeah i dont know anything about DSD playback w/ mpd, my entire 700+ GB library is in FLAC, so i cant help you there.. i'm sure you know how to configure mpd for ALSA in order to get bit-perfect playback, but if you're looking for a guide, this always helped me out: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=182574

and yeah, im based in the USA, but if i ever go to austria, i'm gonna hit you up for that beer! :wink: haha. 

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #2,605 of 9,972
  Much of a muchness really. The iBasso UI is a little more snappy (little) and you can zoom around using the touch screen, though an important thing to remember about FiiO X1 and X3K is when the wheel gives you problems people, when you feel getting somewhere will take a lot of scrolling simply press and hold the bottom left / right buttons to scroll faster. I think many people feel locked in by the scroll wheel which isn't the case.

Pressing and holding the bottom buttons is a great tip! That's nice fast scrolling. Thanks very much!

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #2,606 of 9,972
Does anybody have much experience with the OTG capability? I tried a OTG cable with a 32gb sub stick and all went well. But I can not get the OTG to recognize a known good working PNY SD card. I used an OTG adapter.

I am thinking that maybe the unit can't go above 128gb right now as a tentative theory. I have an sd to sad extender and it did recognize a very old SD card (256 MB !) but not the same 256GB card. The card works fine in my DIY ipod and on the pic.

Would appreciate some thoughts. Oh all drives tested were formatted FAT32.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #2,607 of 9,972
Regarding about Custom Playlist on FiiO dap... Am almost ready to take the plunge... but, which of BrOOkO or x RELIC x ways have the best to work on to better, faster or more convenient between them ?

:)

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2,608 of 9,972
  yeah i dont know anything about DSD playback w/ mpd, my entire 700+ GB library is in FLAC, so i cant help you there.. i'm sure you know how to configure mpd for ALSA in order to get bit-perfect playback, but if you're looking for a guide, this always helped me out: http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=182574

and yeah, im based in the USA, but if i ever go to austria, i'm gonna hit you up for that beer! :wink: haha. 

thanks again.
pretty much know everything there is to know about DSD in mpd. 
I only have a few Albums on dff, and the rest of my collection is flac. 

sure, the invite stands until you drop on my doorstep!

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,609 of 9,972
Does anybody have much experience with the OTG capability? I tried a OTG cable with a 32gb sub stick and all went well. But I can not get the OTG to recognize a known good working PNY SD card. I used an OTG adapter.

I am thinking that maybe the unit can't go above 128gb right now as a tentative theory. I have an sd to sad extender and it did recognize a very old SD card (256 MB !) but not the same 256GB card. The card works fine in my DIY ipod and on the pic.

Would appreciate some thoughts. Oh all drives tested were formatted FAT32.

I'm not nearly an authority on this, but from what I've read on a number of threads, OTG is very inconsistent, and there doesn't seem to be a list of USB drives, SD/MicroSD cards, or SSD drives that are known to work.  This seems to be dependent on the controller that the storage device uses.  I've seen some reference to PNY USB drives that work.  There are also some USB drives that have OTG adapters built in, but I don't know if they've been confirmed to work. Portable HDD drives seem to be out of the question, due to power requirements.

Personally, I've tried one OTG adapter that accepts a microSD card, which didn't work -- at least with the microSD card I used.  The card is likely the problem, as there's nothing particularly magical about the adapters.

I'm going to buy a handful of name brand USB drives and SSD drives -- hopefully something will work.

Might be a good idea for a thread dedicated to know working/not working combinations of adapters and storage devices for the X3II specifically.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #2,610 of 9,972
Really like the Dignis Leather case with the X3 2nd Gen. Fits like a glove 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back