The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 30, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #5,521 of 9,972
Audio-GD DAC-19, Master 11, Master 7, Schiit Yggy and Gungnir multibit are examples. I'm not sure which vintage models are R-2R as I haven't been searching for any, but I know Theta DACs are popular. For portable the HM801, HM602, HM601LE, and there are a couple others but I forget which. The resistor ladder DAC, IMO, is the best way to reproduce the digital audio signal accurately now that I've heard it. The literature backs up what I hear. Also Mike at Schiit is adamant about R-2R as well. Delta-Sigma was a road the industry went down for smaller and cheaper hardware but not a path to better music fidelity. I'm happy enough with D-S for portable but not for my desktop anymore. Of course YMMV.

Do the Sabre ES9018 and ES9023 use Delta-Sigma or R-2R?

How about the PCM1792 used in the X5ii?

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,522 of 9,972
Audio-GD DAC-19, Master 11, Master 7, Schiit Yggy and Gungnir multibit are examples. I'm not sure which vintage models are R-2R as I haven't been searching for any, but I know Theta DACs are popular. For portable the HM801, HM602, HM601LE, and there are a couple others but I forget which. The resistor ladder DAC, IMO, is the best way to reproduce the digital audio signal accurately now that I've heard it. The literature backs up what I hear. Also Mike at Schiit is adamant about R-2R as well. Delta-Sigma was a road the industry went down for smaller and cheaper hardware but not a path to better music fidelity. I'm happy enough with D-S for portable but not for my desktop anymore. Of course YMMV.

Do the Sabre ES9018 and ES9023 use Delta-Sigma or R-2R?

How about the PCM1792 used in the X5ii?

I edited my post. Basically if it can do DSD it isn't R-2R (that's what multibit means - multiple resistors for each bit of information). 1 bit DSD was a cheap way for Sony to archive their analogue library and marketing caught wind of it and SACD was born. It's a compromised format in the name of cheaper chips.

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #5,523 of 9,972
Well, I am not so in digital stuff, not know anything about the technical point.  I am not a LP freak, not need the cracks in the sound either.

Let me say, I loved the X3 so much, giving my music the emotion I lacked many times, even when sound was so called flat.  But I am not blind for some shortcomings, sometimes it could use a bit more "sparkle" to it. The high could be a bit more livelier.

So all I say, I purchased the X3ii thinking it would be the icing of the cake. That the small short comings of the original, would be improved still.  And that is what imo, it is not.  It is a very different player, not going in the same direction. It can be an improvement for some, but not always for those, who fell in love with the original X3.  I even I would say, if I leave the original at home and take the new one, I miss it, and wished I brought it.

I would have preferred, that FIIO made this player for people who are looking for a different sound, but not as a successor of the X 3. It doesn't matter so much    which sound signature   you  prefer, my comments are more meant, this should be another player, X 7, X4, whatever.....

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #5,527 of 9,972
Sitting on my deck playing john barleycorn in 24-88 through carbo tenores with x3 gen two firmware 1.16 and having a lovely time

Ymmv

24-88. . .can you actually hear any improvement when using that as compared to 16/44?

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #5,530 of 9,972
Well, I am not so in digital stuff, not know anything about the technical point.  I am not a LP freak, not need the cracks in the sound either.

Let me say, I loved the X3 so much, giving my music the emotion I lacked many times, even when sound was so called flat.  But I am not blind for some shortcomings, sometimes it could use a bit more "sparkle" to it. The high could be a bit more livelier.

So all I say, I purchased the X3ii thinking it would be the icing of the cake. That the small short comings of the original, would be improved still.  And that is what imo, it is not.  It is a very different player, not going in the same direction. It can be an improvement for some, but not always for those, who fell in love with the original X3.  I even I would say, if I leave the original at home and take the new one, I miss it, and wished I brought it.

It sounds like you prefer something a little warmer. Thankfully, you have two good options, in Fiio's last two DAPs, the X1 and X5 (first gen). Depending on your budget, quality of files you're using, and cans you're using, one of these may be better for your purposes.

Aug 31, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #5,532 of 9,972
When a
When a new stable version releases, how r we supposed to know? I think its posted on Fiio's site but would like to know if there is any other way

Follow this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/770863/official-x3-2nd-gen-beta-firmware-thread-fw1-16-lifted-5800-song-limit-on-media-library-added-russian-and-thai-ui/150#post_11875382

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #5,533 of 9,972
It sounds like you prefer something a little warmer. Thankfully, you have two good options, in Fiio's last two DAPs, the X1 and X5 (first gen). Depending on your budget, quality of files you're using, and cans you're using, one of these may be better for your purposes.

I n fact  not really, I like a fast, natural sound but without being  aggressive in the high tones or bass. Went to hear some headphones, as my Audio Technica ES 7, broke down. This was a really fast pair of cans, not overwhelming anywhere; No accentuation, maybe if your picky in the mids. Very good with the  original X 3. Bit less with the X 3 ii.

Well there is not much choice to try here in Southern-France, except beats, Bose,and Urbans  from Sehns. Well, what you hear is the headphone playing, not the music. It is all, very soft sounding, round bass, colored. The original Fiio, not need this.  It is musical enough, maybe a bit too soft, so it needs just a headphone that not add much , like the one I had or a MDR V 6 from Sony. This one is too big as portable, but the cord is so heavy and long, it has given me problems in the past with the jack.

I am really lost. I want a natural headphone, no Bass machine, but fast and tight, with detachable cord, that would not break down, and as I use them for travel, not too huge. I not like in ear either. 

Of course, on the headphones present in the shop, the X3 ii, would make a better fit.But the headphones, would have made it warmer, but for me less natural as using the X3, with less colored cans.

Aug 31, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5,534 of 9,972
I n fact  not really, I like a fast, natural sound but without being  aggressive in the high tones or bass. Went to hear some headphones, as my Audio Technica ES 7, broke down. This was a really fast pair of cans, not overwhelming anywhere; No accentuation, maybe if your picky in the mids. Very good with the  original X 3. Bit less with the X 3 ii.

Well there is not much choice to try here in Southern-France, except beats, Bose,and Urbans  from Sehns. Well, what you hear is the headphone playing, not the music. It is all, very soft sounding, round bass, colored. The original Fiio, not need this.  It is musical enough, maybe a bit too soft, so it needs just a headphone that not add much , like the one I had or a MDR V 6 from Sony. This one is too big as portable, but the cord is so heavy and long, it has given me problems in the past with the jack.

I'm confused, which is possibly my own fault. I suppose you have three options:
1. Find a portable headphone that suits your needs. The only one I'm aware of that might work is the Beyerdynamic T51p. I haven't heard it, but it's well-regarded.
2. Find a portable headphone amp to match your tastes. There are tons of good ones nowadays.
3. Replace your X3ii with the original X3.

But we are way, way off topic now. Maybe someone who knows more about portable headphones has a recommendation.

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #5,535 of 9,972
I have two originals now, and probably reselll the Xii.  I saw a used Audio Techinica ES 7 for 70€, maybe the way to go, as I like the combination, and so have time to look for another headphone as long as that one hold.

Problem is here, you can almost nowhere listen to the headphone first.  And both players need a very different headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back