The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Aug 22, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5,401 of 9,972
ClieOS ( I believe it was him) had a very reasonable explanation why some screens for portable devices can be much cheaper than others.

If there is an X3 III; I think a key design parameter should be a screen that is readable in daylight.  Even the X5 II is not really quite bright enough but certain beats the X3. 

Aug 22, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #5,402 of 9,972
I have several Dacs: In the same price range, I have the M 2 tech, and I use the FIIo X 3, which sounds more analog:  The FIIO 3,  2, as a Dac sounds not involving either and lacks dynamics: Exactly what I hear in headphones. It plays well with a non revealing cheap sony headphone, and probably will with more colored gear, like Beats.  It not sounds good to my ear "flat". I loved the first X 3, even if I admit the colorization, but I think the new one not has  that  three dimension feeling_ 

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #5,403 of 9,972
  From what I get the X3's characteristic is indeed a bit «analoguish» (V-shaped?), and it may be hard to say good-bye to this kind of sound. Also a matter of the headphones used with it.

I don't see any V-shaped here.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/internet-audio/638-fiio-x3-portable-digital-audio-player.html?start=5

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #5,404 of 9,972

I don't see any V-shaped here.

http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/internet-audio/638-fiio-x3-portable-digital-audio-player.html?start=5

Yeah, I already knew the original X3 wasn't V-shaped either, but wasn't going to try to argue with folks, lol.  Good luck convincing them!

That being said, the consensus opinion of the vast majority of reviewers seems to be that the X3ii is an improvement over the sound of the X3.

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5,405 of 9,972

Yeah, I already knew the original X3 wasn't V-shaped either, but wasn't going to try to argue with folks, lol.  Good luck convincing them!

That being said, the consensus opinion of the vast majority of reviewers seems to be that the X3ii is an improvement over the sound of the X3.

Wasn't trying to convince, just make facts available.
wink_face.gif

Don't doubt the X3ii is an improvement over the sound of the X3, but the X3 is better than I need and I will be sticking with it till it dies (if I don't weaken), and then I'll be getting X3ii or whatever has taken it's place.
wink.gif

Aug 22, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #5,406 of 9,972
There is not such a thing as a perfect sound signature - X3 has a warmer sound, not by frequency response but by having a thicker texture and smaller soundstage, and it is one of the sound FiiO is trying to attract their homeland user, the Chinese, as they have a tendency to go for a thicker and warmer sound. But when X5 came out, FiiO went for a more audiophile'ish sound that is neutral and colorless, which is what the audiophiles outside of China usually prefer, many people back home at China actually said X5 tuning is a 'failure', simply because it is no longer thick and warm to their liking - so who has the right sound? No one really. We all have our preference and bias.

Aug 22, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #5,407 of 9,972
For the soundstage, I feel the new one is really between the ears, when the  old one, sounds seems to come from everywhere.

Yes, agree, the sound of the original is thicker. But have you ever been to live concerts?  When amplified music sounds so good, it is because, it is warm and TRANSPARENT, at the same time, meaning you do hear everything in detail, but sound is not flat, harsh or not involving. Instruments have a nice timbre , but voices are clear.

Sure everybody his taste, but the  original, made me feel being at such a  live concert, the joy of people playing, and not sterile digital sound. I also not say, that everything sounds bad on the second generation, but when I do  my daily walk, I am thrilled when playing the first generation, and could go on for ever, when the new one, I am sometimes happy the walk is over.

I think also, that someone who loves his original one, must be warned, the new player is not an improved player for him, but another way to listen to music, and maybe not give the same pleasure.  And as always, marriage is an imporant issuem as the second generation, will work better on colored cans, and less on  neutral ones.

Aug 22, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #5,408 of 9,972
Install Dropbox, read the documentation, and then simply create a folder locally under your username.  DB does same in the cloud.  Then you simply drop your files in the local folder.  They are uploaded.  After they finish, right click on the tray icon, choose the cloud (world) symbol,a nd it take you online.  Navigate to the folder.  Choose share.  Copy the link.  Either post here or PM me.

Further update! Righto then ... I've got an issue with some(??) files being corrupted when they are copied from my macbook/wd hd onto the Sandisk microsdxc 64gb card - but not copying the same file anywhere else!! Checked this out by using adaptor for said microsd card into my my macmini main digital audio setup: same files as per Fiio X3ii won't play. Copying same files from macbook onto mini desktop - no problem.

I'll get around to trying different copying strategies onto X3. Might try really limiting to say half an album at a time or less (the Cassandra Wilson 24/192 album is about 4gb). If anyone has heard of this sort of stuff before, please chime in ...

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #5,409 of 9,972
I was using X3ii as a dac with portapro and it worked fine for some time. All of a sudden player started making weird noises/devil's chatter and the screen froze, buttons wont respond. A reset did the trick and brought it back to normal. This a software glitch? Anyone experienced this?

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #5,410 of 9,972
ya, it happen the same thing today. Didnt care much about it at first, thought it might be my cable. Now that you said it, probably is software issue hopefully it not hardware problem. For the button its work fine for me. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #5,411 of 9,972
I was using X3ii as a dac with portapro and it worked fine for some time. All of a sudden player started making weird noises/devil's chatter and the screen froze, buttons wont respond. A reset did the trick and brought it back to normal. This a software glitch? Anyone experienced this?

That actually happened to me yesterday!  It's one glitch in a long time though. . .as in, I've been using the X3ii as a DAC every day, for at least six hours a day, for about a whole month or so since getting it, and this was the first time such a glitch occured.

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #5,412 of 9,972
sorry to hijack but how does the X3 2nd gen compare to the Sony A17? I need to decide quick and buy something by Tuesday...have flac files and DUNUs ready to go

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #5,413 of 9,972
  sorry to hijack but how does the X3 2nd gen compare to the Sony A17? I need to decide quick and buy something by Tuesday...have flac files and DUNUs ready to go

A17 has better UI, but as far as SQ goes, I'll say it is more comparable to X1's level rather than X3II's.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #5,414 of 9,972

A17 has better UI, but as far as SQ goes, I'll say it is more comparable to X1's level rather than X3II's.

That's good to know, and shows once-again that in terms of value-for-money for true audiophiles, Fiio's DAP's are king :wink:

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #5,415 of 9,972

That's good to know, and shows once-again that in terms of value-for-money for true audiophiles, Fiio's DAP's are king :wink:

Just don't expect any EQing. I have no idea why Fiio can't make an EQ that actually does anything but lower the volume. 
confused_face(1).gif
 I love you Fiio but please make sure the EQ on the F7 is actually functional.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back