The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Jun 9, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #4,246 of 9,972
Still the best overall DAP in terms of value from Fiio I think.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #4,247 of 9,972

Dignis case http://www.amazon.com/Dignis-Leather-Case-X3K-Generation/dp/B00W5WE5UM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1433844180&sr=8-3&keywords=dignis+fiio+x3

Thanks, it is a bit overpriced imho, i hope it will last long.

Would be good if Fiio made the HS7 hard case sized for X3K. It is just too big for it, but still better than nothing.

At this time, I'm a non-believer of USB cable, because I tried a few audiophile USB cables compared to cheap good quality USB cable, I couldn't hear any difference.
But since some people said they could hear the difference, I keep an open mind regarding this matter.

I will try it but some other time, not that imprortant at the moment.

edit:
Oh almost forgot, how is the latency for movies and gaming? I can't try right now. Anyone tried it? One of the reasons i chose X3K over DX50 (there was a used one at very good price) was that as i heard iBasso daps have bad latency as a dac for PC. They only good for music, not for games/movies, while X5 is pretty good for those too.

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,251 of 9,972

edit:
Oh almost forgot, how is the latency for movies and gaming? I can't try right now. Anyone tried it? One of the reasons i chose X3K over DX50 (there was a used one at very good price) was that as i heard iBasso daps have bad latency as a dac for PC. They only good for music, not for games/movies, while X5 is pretty good for those too.

The latency is high on the default settings when you install the drivers. 
If you set the latency settings from standard to minimum latency in the driver control panel the latency is fine with next to no delay. Perfectly fine for watching movies, gaming etc. 

You will need to restart your PC before the changes take effect though, I had to anyway. 

http://imgur.com/d5Ypvqc

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #4,254 of 9,972
i heard of the DUNU Titans and that was the point of my post, to say that the DUNU TITAN 1's are supposed to have a similar sonic signature to the GR10's and at a third of the price i paid.
Others in this thread have also said the DUNU's are superb. Perhaps check them out?

I found few reviews. They all say about pronounced bass, not much, but here it is.
V shape. Be aware, might not be what are you after. Few guys on the forum have
them and adore them.
Shure-s are prevalent in my area. One cannot get away from them. Reading and
re-reading, I know less and less. What do you think about etymotic hf5? There,
on the net, is also westone. Both tend to be neutral.
At the moment, I'm not sure what to do for neutral sound for a little over $100.
Best regards.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #4,255 of 9,972
I found few reviews. They all say about pronounced bass, not much, but here it is.
V shape. Be aware, might not be what are you after. Few guys on the forum have
them and adore them.
Shure-s are prevalent in my area. One cannot get away from them. Reading and
re-reading, I know less and less. What do you think about etymotic hf5? There,
on the net, is also westone. Both tend to be neutral.
At the moment, I'm not sure what to do for neutral sound for a little over $100.
Best regards.

hmm, not sure. I read "slightly v shaped". so maybe ok. I think at the 100 usd price point it's going to be a compromise whatever. Since i had a pair of CX400 Sennheisers and they were so lacking in any "sparkle" I was completely shy of the whole IEM genre; then I bought the Grado's with trepidation and was blown away.

I've read alot about the sures and all of the reviews lead to comments of treble rolloff.

I don't know about the Etymotics nor the Westones, apart from, if I remember, the Etymotics can be pretty painful after a while :frowning2:

I would plump for the Dunu's still... I am hoping to get a pair soon myself as a 2nd pair/backup.

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #4,256 of 9,972
Btw, what about usb cable? I'm a bit skeptical about better usb cable improving the SQ, but ready to test it. So what do you think/experienced, how is a 30€ usb cable (like Audioquest Pearl or what you suggest) compared to the stock one?

I have an AudioQuest cable for my Aune T1 and I think at best you may get less interference from other electronics. 

If you want to try a high quality USB cable for a good price I suggest this one:

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/u05.html

For anyone looking for coax cables for the X3II I also recommend this site.  They use quality cable brands like Canare with connectors such as Neutrik and they sell them at half the cost of other sites/vendors.  The only downside to Ghent Audio is it takes ~2 weeks to get it in the US since they are based out of China.  They also provide high res pictures and detailed descriptions of every cable.  Their craftsmanship is superb and I would recommend them to anyone I know involved in A/V.

I have a Coax cable on the way now, this one.  Yes it is labeled as a sub cable, but it is just their coax cable with a better connector: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/e04.html

Jun 9, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4,258 of 9,972
I'm pretty sure it's a good policy NOT to post the instructions here. Imagine all the warranty claims that would ensue from less than capable hands and weekend tinkerers.
wink_face.gif

Wrong. It would be a good idea to post it because we will try and do it ourselves whether you post the instructions or not so either we do it with help or without help.

"oh no instructions, I guess im going to go pay someone to install it" - NOT what I would be thinking lol

more like "welp, here goes nothing"

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #4,259 of 9,972
  Where can i get this Dignis case? A tried to find it but no luck. I like the function signs on that case.

Btw, what about usb cable? I'm a bit skeptical about better usb cable improving the SQ, but ready to test it. So what do you think/experienced, how is a 30€ usb cable (like Audioquest Pearl or what you suggest) compared to the stock one?

Order page with instructions if you want to buy direct: http://www.dignis.co.kr/oversea.html
The case cost me $43,90 in total. Yes it's not cheap but it's quality work. Otherwise buy the cheaper original FiiO not real leather case.
I don't think the USB cable will make a difference, bits are bits.

Jun 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #4,260 of 9,972
Case change issued by FiiO. No more black silicon. Sorry if this was already posted.

http://m.fiio.net/en/stories/277

They had a smell??

I prefer the black silicone case...the plastic one doesn't look like it would protect it nearly as well. I never noticed a smell either...they should at least sell the black cases for those who want them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back