The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Apr 25, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #2,688 of 9,972
I used my X3II for the first time in the car via its line out. It sound great. When my son plugs in his ipod the stereo volume is at 26-28. With the X3II the same songs played, the stereo is at 14 -16 on the volume dial. the sound is really nice. My wife even commented on the sound quality.
Some of the IEM's that were my favorites don't sound the same as they used too. I am liking on ear/ over ear headphones more with the X3II. I also stumbled onto a set of earphones by Sol Republic. the Amps line. They were on for $11 at Winners and have quickly become my earphone of choice with my X3II.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #2,690 of 9,972
I've just taken ownership of the new X3 gen 2 and couldn't be happier. As an owner of the X1 I didn't think the sound could be more open but was proven wrong with the X3. One quick question though....how does the 'deep sleep ' function work. When turned off the player reboots slightly quicker than the X1 but it's not instantaneous like I think it should be. I can't find reference to it on their site

Glad you're so taken with it. I hope to have one on loan for listening to in a week or so. It sounds as if I won't be returning it

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #2,691 of 9,972
  I used my X3II for the first time in the car via its line out. It sound great. When my son plugs in his ipod the stereo volume is at 26-28. With the X3II the same songs played, the stereo is at 14 -16 on the volume dial. the sound is really nice. My wife even commented on the sound quality.
Some of the IEM's that were my favorites don't sound the same as they used too. I am liking on ear/ over ear headphones more with the X3II. I also stumbled onto a set of earphones by Sol Republic. the Amps line. They were on for $11 at Winners and have quickly become my earphone of choice with my X3II.

Glad your liking the X3II...seems it all worked out:)

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #2,692 of 9,972
B&H Photo finally has the X3 gen2 for actual MSRP $199! Buy from them because the companies on Amazon are price gauging the early release.

Fiio I hope you reconsider who some of your first-run distributors are because early release price gauging is pure greed and reflects poorly on you when it's sold over MSRP

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #2,693 of 9,972

I recommend you to use high gain setting when via phone out.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #2,694 of 9,972
I went to a store today and did some audition of the X3 Gen 2.

With my EarSonics SM64 (100 ohm), the volume did not go as high as I expected. Even on high gain and the maximum 120 volume level, some tracks (e.g. metal from 80es CD) could not be cranked loud enough. My Clip Zip and E6 combo was in fact louder, and I was expecting the X3 to be able to go some 30% more on top of that.

Apart from that, the gapless function did not seem to work on albums that are ripped as one big FLAC file + .cue. Is that a regular issue? Will it be addressed in a fix?

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #2,695 of 9,972
  I went to a store today and did some audition of the X3 Gen 2.

With my EarSonics SM64 (100 ohm), the volume did not go as high as I expected. Even on high gain and the maximum 120 volume level, some tracks (e.g. metal from 80es CD) could not be cranked loud enough. My Clip Zip and E6 combo was in fact louder, and I was expecting the X3 to be able to go some 30% more on top of that.

Apart from that, the gapless function did not seem to work on albums that are ripped as one big FLAC file + .cue. Is that a regular issue? Would it be address in a fix?

If the equalizer was ON on the X3 it would explain the loudness, as it is lowered when it's engaged.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #2,696 of 9,972

If the equalizer was ON on the X3 it would explain the loudness, as it is lowered when it's engaged.

Don't think so. It was a brand new unit they opened in front of me for the first time. I also checked, IIRC it was 'off'.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,698 of 9,972

Strange, I was expecting it also to be louder.
Can you please comment on SQ ? What changes did you notice, compared with the Clip ?

It sounded good. I listened for like 5-6 minutes, which is not nearly enough for a good evaluation, but overall the sound was musical and full. Compared to the Clip, probably more 3D.

The unit itself is gorgeous looking and very well made.

I can maybe compromise on the loudness but the gapless playback would be a big issue. Most of my music is ripped with EAC as single FLAC file + cue. If gapless does not work in this scenario that would be a major problem for me.

Apr 25, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,699 of 9,972
Apparently gapless playback for single flac + cue also does not work on fw 1.3 on X1.

I really hope this is addressed in a subsequent fw update because I'd expect it would be a major deal breaker for many people. It definitely is for me!

Apr 25, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,700 of 9,972
Just got my new X3 yesterday. I am loading the card right now. As I wait, listening to the old guard iPod nano 7g that the X3 will replace. Not sure if I'll use the Picollo with it as I want to see how it sounds by itself. Amping can already be an option...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back