The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Jun 12, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #7,156 of 7,793
When I tried upgrading my firmware to 2.0, it said "file system not support" and then launched me back into 1.6 without installing.

I don't mean to be a pain, but the chances of me reformatting my 200 gig microSD card into an older file format, and wiping my entire music collection off it in the process (Necessitating that I recopy from scratch later), several days after first copying them all, are rather minimal. That is not a short process.

Why won't the firmware update process work with the same file system that their existing firmware recognizes and plays songs off of?

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #7,157 of 7,793
When I tried upgrading my firmware to 2.0, it said "file system not support" and then launched me back into 1.6 without installing.

I don't mean to be a pain, but the chances of me reformatting my 200 gig microSD card into an older file format, and wiping my entire music collection off it in the process (Necessitating that I recopy from scratch later), several days after first copying them all, are rather minimal. That is not a short process.

Why won't the firmware update process work with the same file system that their existing firmware recognizes and plays songs off of?

dont you have a spare micro sd laying around? update it with it then put your other 1 back in

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #7,158 of 7,793

Well i don't know the answer to that, all i know is that to update it has to be a FAT32 formatted card, if possible formatted through the player to avoid any incompatibilities.

So far @leo5111's solution sounds the best

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #7,159 of 7,793
was the file unzipped before being copied? (I know it's silly but I've done just that once).
and of course what's already proposed, to try with a small µSD. to make sure it's not a matter of the card being 200giga.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #7,160 of 7,793
dont you have a spare micro sd laying around? update it with it then put your other 1 back in

A good thought. However, I do not have a spare microSD card. Honestly, I only buy the things when I have a new piece of equipment that requires them. If equipment breaks and a card doesn't, I keep the used card and put it in the replacement equipment.

So, right now, I have two, one for the phone and one for the music player. They are both full of music and I don't want to reformat them and recopy it all.

I honestly don't know what I'd do with like a small 16 gig card other than this firmware update (The whole reason I buy them is to accommodate gobs of music- and in theory if I ever got to 200 gigs or larger on my phone while my collection is still well under that, I'd back up other things like ebooks and ecomics and whatever), so it's hard to justify buying it just for that if I don't already have it.

The only two things that occurred to me is that part of the issue with the last music player that I just replaced was that the card would not come out of it's slot. It's *probably* water damaged like the rest of the Sony player, but now that player is a goner, I might be able to physically tear the player apart to get the card, since I haven't thrown it out yet, and then see if it has any functionality left and can be used. But that requires a lot of work and payoff is potentially nothing if it is not serviceable. Still, I might do that- or try and see how hard the old player would be to pull apart. Also, I vaguely remember that 6 years ago I once had a 16 gig card- I really don't think I still have it- haven't seen it in 6 years, and I moved between then and now. :wink:

It really is a good idea. I just don't think I have a spare.

was the file unzipped before being copied? (I know it's silly but I've done just that once).

Yup, file was unzipped. At least, I hit abstract all and got an opened unzipped folder. The file name I'm using is "x1.fw". Any chance that it's a zipped file within a formerly zipped folder? Should I try somehow unzipping the individual file itself? I don't recognize the .fw extension. I have been working on the assumption that it means "Update for Fiio music player". :wink:

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #7,161 of 7,793
The "x1.fw" file is the unzipped firmware file. I really don't see an issue here. Just purchase a $5 4gb mSD card and format it in the player to use for firmware updates if you didn't format the card in the player before loading it with music. For updates on the FiiO wheel based DAPs the card must be FAT32. These aren't sophisticated devices compared to a cell phone and it's just the way it is.

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #7,162 of 7,793
The "x1.fw" file is the unzipped firmware file. I really don't see an issue here. Just purchase a $5 4gb mSD card and format it in the player to use for firmware updates if you didn't format the card in the player before loading it with music. For updates on the FiiO wheel based DAPs the card must be FAT32. These aren't sophisticated devices compared to a cell phone and it's just the way it is.

You're right. Its not a big deal. I'll either keep it on the current firmware rather than upgrading it or get a cheap card or whatever and upgrade it. Not a big deal either way.

It'd be nice if I didn't have to pick between old firmware and paying money for something I may only literally once to update said firmware (This is intended to be their final firmware version, and I have no other use for a small capacity microSD card other than applying firmware updates to the x1), but I have plenty of much bigger issues to deal with in life. :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #7,163 of 7,793

It might do, there is work in progress.

http://www.rockbox.org/irc/log-20160328#19:03:16

The page at http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FiioX1 seems to have more updated information.

I mean, if you look at the end of this web page, there is a table, and there are recently added links (June 5h) with bin files containing the bootloader code.

Hopefully this is a sign that the Rockbox for Fiio X1 is progressing. Let's wait and see... :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #7,164 of 7,793
You're right. Its not a big deal. I'll either keep it on the current firmware rather than upgrading it or get a cheap card or whatever and upgrade it. Not a big deal either way.

It'd be nice if I didn't have to pick between old firmware and paying money for something I may only literally once to update said firmware (This is intended to be their final firmware version, and I have no other use for a small capacity microSD card other than applying firmware updates to the x1), but I have plenty of much bigger issues to deal with in life.
smily_headphones1.gif

I used the 32GB FAT32-formatted card I have for my FiiO M3 -- and I didn't delete any of my music off of it, either.

I just copy the unzipped firmware file to that card, from my computer, turn off of the M3 after it updates the media library (yes, that is an unfortunate side effect but it could be eliminated if I ejected the SD card from the M3 without turning it on and used a microSD -> SD card adapter and put it directly into my laptop instead of using M3 as mass storage device)....

...then take that microSD out of M3 after it's turned off and has the X1 firmware file, remove my normal music-loaded X1 microSD card, insert M3's microSD, turn on X1 whilst holding down top left X button and it updates.  

I then turn off the X1, remove that card and put it back in my M3 -- works again in M3 without a problem and there's just a firmware file on it that is ignored (it can also be deleted, of course).

That saved me from having to have a dedicated microSD. :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #7,165 of 7,793
Well, sadly this whole discussion might be moot. The device won't power on anymore.

I hit the power button and there is just no response at all. The screen stays completely black, etc.. I do notice if I plug it in, I still get the appropriate charging light indicators from the secondary light source (Not the screen).

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Is there a way to trigger a hard reset?

Turns out according to my records, I've only actually had it for 8 days, so I could mail it back and try to get a refund or a comp replacement. Returns from online purchases are almost always a hassle, though. Ideally, I'd just fix it so I can keep it.

So, I'm open to advice that doesn't void the warranty I'll be needing if the advice doesn't work. :wink:

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #7,166 of 7,793
There is a pinhole reset button between the power button and volume up button.  Just poke something into the hole and press to reset.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #7,167 of 7,793
There is a pinhole reset button between the power button and volume up button.  Just poke something into the hole and press to reset.

Perfect. Worked like a charm. Device now fully functional again. Thanks.

Just for the sake of people who might find these messages later while looking to fix or reset their device, who are wondering what to poke through the hole, I used the tool that came with my phone (Intended to open the phone's sim card/microsd tray). You could probably also untwist a paperclip and poke it with that instead in a pinch. :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #7,168 of 7,793
Interestingly, it picked up on exactly the same track in the same position I left off on prior to the hard reset. I'm not complaining, thats the desired behavior I set it to do earlier in the thread. :) I'm just surprised that the "bookmark" survived a hard reset. Bonus that it did. :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #7,169 of 7,793
Perfect. Worked like a charm. Device now fully functional again. Thanks.

Just for the sake of people who might find these messages later while looking to fix or reset their device, who are wondering what to poke through the hole, I used the tool that came with my phone (Intended to open the phone's sim card/microsd tray). You could probably also untwist a paperclip and poke it with that instead in a pinch.
smily_headphones1.gif

Doesnt fit, ive tried it before.

Jun 15, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #7,170 of 7,793
  Doesnt fit, ive tried it before.

Depends on the paper clip.  They are often different diameters.  We have some metal ones which fit nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back