The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Apr 12, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #5,553 of 7,793
That would be 100mW per channel. Tested with both channels running hot, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

@Joe Bloggs:  You really should update your specs to be clear that that is each channel with both channels driven.  In my neck of the woods I assume if the spec doesn't say it, it ain't so 
biggrin.gif

So you you are only getting half marketing ooomph you should be getting.  I assumed it was one channel driven, myself, until I made it down 340 or so pages in this thread (I must be insane).
I bought an X5 anyway, and liked it so much I bought an X1 a couple days later 
beerchug.gif

The X1 is going to live in my car.  So much better than my iPod Touch.  All I have to do is hold the power button for a couple of seconds and I have music in another 5 seconds.  Verses launching a space shuttle each time I want to get the iPod Touch fired up and playing.  I could use a second X1 for certain walk around and sports where I don't want the more expensive X5 abused.  Maybe next month!

I'm driving ER4S and HD650 with these DAPs.  Particularly with the X1, they could really use an amp, but I've done the amp strapping thing with DIY amps and I don't want to go there unless I have to, or I read too much "hype" about the E12 and E11K.  Hehe. I have listened to both with a DIY PPA transportable amp and that sounds great.   But even the X1 (alone) does drive them to what are probably max safe levels, more or less, even though the volume is pegged or nearly so.  The X1 is a lot of DAP for the $$$$$.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #5,554 of 7,793
Can anyone tell me how to make the X1 play all songs from one artist without dumping all of them in a single folder?

Also, the software really needs a speed-scroll option. Literally took me 5 minutes to get to "N" in my 300+ artist library. And no, not everything can be solved by using folders...

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #5,555 of 7,793
  Can anyone tell me how to make the X1 play all songs from one artist without dumping all of them in a single folder?

Also, the software really needs a speed-scroll option. Literally took me 5 minutes to get to "N" in my 300+ artist library. And no, not everything can be solved by using folders...

If you have most recent firmware, play through folders options needs to be turned on, then you wouldn't need to create a folder to do what you want.  It doesn't take me 5 minutes to scroll unless I take my time and I to have large artist library. The X1 will scroll only as fast as you spin the wheel.  if you want to reduce scrolling, create folders a-d, e-g, etc, and then you could pick folder l-p and reduce the scrolling. Hope this helps.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #5,556 of 7,793
  If you have most recent firmware, play through folders options needs to be turned on, then you wouldn't need to create a folder to do what you want.  It doesn't take me 5 minutes to scroll unless I take my time and I to have large artist library. The X1 will scroll only as fast as you spin the wheel.  if you want to reduce scrolling, create folders a-d, e-g, etc, and then you could pick folder l-p and reduce the scrolling. Hope this helps.

That kinda works but not if I want to shuffle all songs by an artist. I assume it will first play everything in one folder and then move on to the next.

Apr 12, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #5,557 of 7,793
   Verses launching a space shuttle each time I want to get the iPod Touch fired up and playing.

Why even turn off your iPod Touch? In my experience, I can leave my iPod Touch on (but locked) and not use it all week and the battery is pretty much at the same position. 

I do agree that it takes a long time to boot up, but I never felt the need to turn it on and off since I used it on a daily basis.

That kinda works but not if I want to shuffle all songs by an artist. I assume it will first play everything in one folder and then move on to the next.

Access the artist from the categories menu (instead of the file browser) and when viewing all their albums, select 'All songs' instead.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #5,558 of 7,793
  Why even turn off your iPod Touch? In my experience, I can leave my iPod Touch on (but locked) and not use it all week and the battery is pretty much at the same position. 

I do agree that it takes a long time to boot up, but I never felt the need to turn it on and off since I used it on a daily basis.

Access the artist from the categories menu (instead of the file browser) and when viewing all their albums, select 'All songs' instead.

Ah, it was the bottom-most choice so I've missed it.  Thanks!

Apr 13, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #5,559 of 7,793

I've done that.  And often get in my car to find a "dead" iPod.  I'm sure it's some sort of user error, although I don't think it's as simple as leaving it playing.  But it's possible, if I turn it off after I shut down the car ignition.  I've always thought that something was waking up the iPod but it's impossible to figure that out.  I also ran out of space very quickly on the iPod (32gb) and had to down convert everything from 192/320kb to 128kb.  So that got me looking at devices with expandable memory.  The iPod Touch is a nice device, and I don't have any issues with iTunes.  It just does too much for a car music player.  And it doesn't have enough juice to drive my ER4s or HD650 so it's not as petite and portable for walk around use.  It's still looking for a mission.  It does have the nicest tiny camera I own, when I don't want to use a DSLR.  My old smartphone camera really sucks but that needs replacing so that mission will go away too.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #5,560 of 7,793
Just a couple of comments on iTunes and playlists.  In iTunes (Win7)  I open a playlist and click "File-->Library--> Export Playlist and save it (as a text file).  This is a tab delimited format that can be pasted into or opened into a spreadsheet (I use Excel).  Column AA (the 27th and last column) is "Location", which is the full path and filename of each playlist entry.  I select the column and paste it into a text file with a m3u8 file extension, and then open the playlist text file in Notepad.  I add the "#EXTM3U" hashtag to the first line of the file (replacing the "location" header tag that appears on line one the way I do the column copy from excel).  Then I do a replace all, changing the d:\blahblah portion of the path that is not in the X1 with "tf1:\".

The X1 (and my X5 and I assume X3 etc) use "tf1" as the "drive letter" of the first or only sd card, and tf2 for the second slot of the X5.
There are different ways to skin this cat, using relative paths.  But after fighting with that I decided to just hard code tf1 in the path.  This has two benefits....  first, if I ever use a 2nd card on the X5 I can create playlists that span the two cards.  Second, I can put my playlists in a dedicated folder on the root of the SD Card, which I prefer to do just to keep the root clean.  By using the "tf1" drive letter I can put the playlists anywhere on the card and move them around if I decide to at a later time.

Here is a sample playlist...

#EXTM3U
tf1:\iTunes Music\Wes Montgomery\The Incredible Jazz Guitar\01 Airegin.m4a
tf1:\iTunes Music\Aisha Duo\Quiet Songs\17 Amanda.m4a
tf1:\iTunes Music\Billy Cobham\Nordic\06 As First I Saw You.m4a

In my case the "iTunes Music" folder is located on the root of my X1 (and X5) SD Card.

There has been much more discussion of playlists and file pathing in the main X5 thread.  Do a thread search on "Playlist".  Maybe the X3 thread(s) too, I didn't check.

I've also seen some comments that iTunes folders are poorly organized.  Most of my stuff was ripped from CD using iTunes, although some are added to the iTunes repository using File-->Add Folder To Library when, for example, I rip something from Foobar and then convert to AAC (I don't store lossless in my iTunes library because of space concerns on my laptop and I just started building a lossless collection). I also have a fair collection of music downloaded from Amazon that is automatically imported into iTunes (and physically copied to the  iTunes library).   Anyway, all my music is organized by artist\album and AFAIK all my music has embedded album artwork.  So for me, iTunes-->Fiio DAP has been very easy and seamless.  The tweaking of the playlists is a PITA but I don't think there is any (hopefully free) software out there that could make it as painless as iTunes and an Apple device.

All the above would work equally well if you export a playlist from Foobar or some other app.  You would just save the step of the temporary import into a spreadsheet.

I use a shareware program called BeyondCompare.  It's mission is to compare, diff and sync folders.  It is one of a handful of utilities that I can't live without on any Win machine I use.  It's cheap and shows visually the differences in large folder structures.  I use that to keep my DAP MicroSD card in sync with iTunes and some other folders of music I maintain outside of iTunes.  It can also do a binary compare of two identical folder structures, and as such can be used to verify that everything on the MicroSD card is readable.

Anyone that has a poorly organized iTunes library might want to investigate the use of the File---> Library---> Organize Library... menu option.  That should reorganize your iTunes library into an Artist/Album Title structure.  If you do that, I would highly suggest making a good and verified backup first
basshead.gif
.  Just in case you don't like the result.  There's no UnDo for that.  In the preferences (Edit-->Preferences-->Advanced) there is also an option "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized".  I do NOT have this option checked, but my library imports are organized well.  I think that option renames filenames and folder names in the event you make changes after import?  It's probably a good option to use, I just don't like surprised so I never messed with it 
basshead.gif

I mention this stuff because I've seen a lot of comments strewn through this thread suggesting people are having problems I don't have.  HTH

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #5,561 of 7,793
nice, so now with the tf1:\ name, people can make complex playlists and put it anywhere they want in the card. I still find more convenient to have them at the root of the card to browse into a FIIO, but it's really nice to have the choice. and knowing the storage name just offers that, so thanks for mentioning it.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #5,562 of 7,793
  nice, so now with the tf1:\ name, people can make complex playlists and put it anywhere they want in the card. I still find more convenient to have them at the root of the card to browse into a FIIO, but it's really nice to have the choice. and knowing the storage name just offers that, so thanks for mentioning it.

Is that right? I once made a playlist using Foobar, made a Playlists folder on the card, put the playlist in there and when I went to select it it said "Playlist not found". I moved it back to the root and it worked fine. It seemed strange that it didn't work just because it was in a folder but them's the breaks. I am using an X1.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #5,563 of 7,793

Is that right? I once made a playlist using Foobar, made a Playlists folder on the card, put the playlist in there and when I went to select it it said "Playlist not found". I moved it back to the root and it worked fine. It seemed strange that it didn't work just because it was in a folder but them's the breaks. I am using an X1.

your behavior is the logical one. because when the playlist is at the root of the storage, the relative path is always going below, so it never needs the name of the storage but only the name of the folders at the same tree level and below. it means that making the playlist with the wrong storage name doesn't matter.

now when your playlist is in a folder, to call for a song in another folder it needs to go back up to the root folder first to trace a relative path, and for that it needs the name of the storage itself.  in my case if I do it on my computer with foobar and the DAP plugged in, the computer will see the storage as ...say H or whatever drive letter assigned. so if you save a playlist where it will need the storage's name(anywhere that's not at the root or with song not into direct subfolders), it will just say to the X1 "hey go back up at the root of H and then down again into folder boringsong2015 to pick that song". but if as NeilR said the X1 calls its µSD card TF1, what will the X1 do when it reads "go back to H"? nothing it doesn't know any H storage.

you can save your playlist somewhere else inside the µSD, then edit it with a note pad of sort, and replace the drive letter. then that should work anywhere.

(I still need to check myself, so I hope I didn't say too much nonsense
wink_face.gif
)

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #5,564 of 7,793

your behavior is the logical one. because when the playlist is at the root of the storage, the relative path is always going below, so it never needs the name of the storage but only the name of the folders at the same tree level and below. it means that making the playlist with the wrong storage name doesn't matter.

now when your playlist is in a folder, to call for a song in another folder it needs to go back up to the root folder first to trace a relative path, and for that it needs the name of the storage itself.  in my case if I do it on my computer with foobar and the DAP plugged in, the computer will see the storage as ...say H or whatever drive letter assigned. so if you save a playlist where it will need the storage's name(anywhere that's not at the root or with song not into direct subfolders), it will just say to the X1 "hey go back up at the root of H and then down again into folder boringsong2015 to pick that song". but if as NeilR said the X1 calls its µSD card TF1, what will the X1 do when it reads "go back to H"? nothing it doesn't know any H storage.

you can save your playlist somewhere else inside the µSD, then edit it with a note pad of sort, and replace the drive letter. then that should work anywhere.

(I still need to check myself, so I hope I didn't say too much nonsense
wink_face.gif
)

On my X3 I put my playlists in a 000Playlists folder (so that it comes up first in folder view) and then prefix the path in the playlist file with "..\" which means "go up one folder first" (roughly). That works but you still can't put the playlist anywhere - like you can with the proper drive name at the front, but you can use the card in other devices which use different drive names.

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #5,565 of 7,793
Hey all. Long time lurker on these forums but first time posting.

I'm rather new to the audiophile world but have been slowly upgrading my portable gear for a while now. Just went from a rockboxed Sansa clip with an smsl sap4s amp to this X1 beauty and I'm soooo happy I did. Quality is excellent and I'm really enjoying the experience it's been giving me this far.

I'm on the hunt for big value IEMs which won't leave a big dent in my wallet. I just got a pair of KZ ed2 and after +20hours of using them I'm really impressed. I do feel I want to try something different though and have something to compare with. I'm no basshead but I do listen to house every now and then. What would be the best IEM addition to the X1 under $50US?

I have to stick to IEMs as my wife thinks I look like a dork + thinks I'm too old for onear or headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back