The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 26, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #5,462 of 7,793
  anyone in the UK recommend a place for buying? cheapest i can find is £99 which works out as just under $150 :frowning2:

Get it shipped from mp4 nation.
But it may cost same due to customs anyway i think.

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #5,463 of 7,793
Couple questions. Is it ok to put on the fiio x1 all day to burn in headphones

And what is a safe volume in the fiio x1

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #5,464 of 7,793

Is it realy a safe volume ? Sorry, You want to burn you DAP or your phone ? IEM or headphone ?

I think, Xi doen't realy need to be "Burn' all day long! Personaly, if I realy feel they need it, I will let them "Burn" overnight only! Both gears! With times... you will see, or hear all the metamorphosis append in your head, if it realy happen to you!!! :)

Edit: (Perso, I will stay about the same volume level at you listen to... 50-80 to be safe, again, depend of your phones)

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #5,465 of 7,793

If you can't burn-in during night, yes you can during the day, say for about 8-10 hrs, to burn-in your headphones......

The safe volume limit....you are the best judge to analyse it and maintain that vol level for different Genres/tracks....

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5,466 of 7,793

Depends on the headphones. I'll actually ask the same question to anyone that has IEMs that are about 20 ohms and have a sensitivity of ~107dB SPL/mW (more specifically, Shure SE215s). What volume level is the highest I could/should safely listen to and what do you usually listen at? I usually listen to rock and metal, if that helps.

Mar 26, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #5,467 of 7,793
Depends on the headphones. I'll actually ask the same question to anyone that has IEMs that are about 20 ohms and have a sensitivity of ~107dB SPL/mW (more specifically, Shure SE215s). What volume level is the highest I could/should safely listen to and what do you usually listen at? I usually listen to rock and metal, if that helps.

I listen edm I have ocd I feel like I can't go over 30 I feel like somthing is going to happen to my ears or my dap

Opps idk why I quoted twice

Mar 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #5,468 of 7,793

the kind of very legit question that has no answer.

-you would need to estimate the loudness that is good for you, so you need to pick a value in db that will depend on the time you spend listening(look up for some loudness safety advices for that).
-if you can come up with some value, you will at that moment have no idea how loud it really is and if it's enough for you to enjoy your music.
but let's assume you're ok with the value and it's not covered by external noises when you're on the go:
-then you go get all the real specs you can for your IEM http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE215.pdf  and work out how many mV are needed to get to the number of db you just determined to be the safe listening loudness with something like the excel file you can download there http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html
then you need to find a way to measure the output of the DAP to know what setting gets you that voltage. like an ok multimeter with some test tones and something like a line out cable (male to male jack to get the contacts easily).
all this is no fun but actually you can do it all, in fact I did it once with a dap and a pair of IEMs.

and then depending on what music you will be listening to, you might have a good 15db error depending on where the max loudness of the song is recorded on the track (close to 0db, around -8db? lower on some old albums?) and to that you can add the fact that a modern song is brickwalled to sound loud (look for loudness war on the net for info). it will sound and be more tiresome for your ears than an album with a great dynamic where most of the song will in fact be quieter even though you didn't touch the volume.
so there you have it, I could very much make an with one song on the X1 with SE215, but it would be legit only for that exact combo and pretty much meaningless for everyday use.

so my advice is just to try and lower the volume even just by one step from time to time, and see if you get used to it after a few minutes or if you need to go back louder. usually as time goes by you can go lower and lower as your IEMs isolate pretty well. 
also take breaks from music/noise if possible. even 5mn whenever you can.

Mar 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #5,469 of 7,793
I listen edm I have ocd I feel like I can't go over 30 I feel like somthing is going to happen to my ears or my dap

On the bus, I listen at around 30-35; even though the SE215 blocks out 95% of stuff, I do need to bump it up a little to block out everything on the bus. A home, I listen at around 20-27, 25-32 for my SRH440.

the kind of very legit question that has no answer.

-you would need to estimate the loudness that is good for you, so you need to pick a value in db that will depend on the time you spend listening(look up for some loudness safety advices for that).
-if you can come up with some value, you will at that moment have no idea how loud it really is and if it's enough for you to enjoy your music.
but let's assume you're ok with the value and it's not covered by external noises when you're on the go:
-then you go get all the real specs you can for your IEM http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSE215.pdf  and work out how many mV are needed to get to the number of db you just determined to be the safe listening loudness with something like the excel file you can download there http://www.apexhifi.com/specs.html
then you need to find a way to measure the output of the DAP to know what setting gets you that voltage. like an ok multimeter with some test tones and something like a line out cable (male to male jack to get the contacts easily).
all this is no fun but actually you can do it all, in fact I did it once with a dap and a pair of IEMs.

and then depending on what music you will be listening to, you might have a good 15db error depending on where the max loudness of the song is recorded on the track (close to 0db, around -8db? lower on some old albums?) and to that you can add the fact that a modern song is brickwalled to sound loud (look for loudness war on the net for info). it will sound and be more tiresome for your ears than an album with a great dynamic where most of the song will in fact be quieter even though you didn't touch the volume.
so there you have it, I could very much make an with one song on the X1 with SE215, but it would be legit only for that exact combo and pretty much meaningless for everyday use.

so my advice is just to try and lower the volume even just by one step from time to time, and see if you get used to it after a few minutes or if you need to go back louder. usually as time goes by you can go lower and lower as your IEMs isolate pretty well. 
also take breaks from music/noise if possible. even 5mn whenever you can.

Thank you for your detailed response. I'd like to measure it at some point, but I have no multimeter and no time right now. Thank you for linking the specs as well. 

I listen to both older and newer albums. I like their older albums for their dynamic range and tonality, but newer albums can feel cleaner, yet less natural? (Less real maybe?) I'm somewhat torn between the two; it's nice to listen to a good, cleaner,fuller, newer-feeling/sounding album, but older stuff that doesn't have all the loudness stuff going on has a more natural feel, better range, etc. 

I do try to lower it as much as possible, a few notches down when I can. I was doing that process with my old iPod, and eventually got down to only using 1/3-1/2 or so of the volume bar for my SRH440. I'll have to do the same process for my X1/SE215 set up.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #5,470 of 7,793
Just got Fiio X1.

Initial review:
- Doesn't support one of my SDXC 64GB microsd where I have all my music
- Can't even play .m4a files (had some recordings made from Samsung Galaxy S4)
- Scrolling is a pain especially when you have hundreds of files

- Thought it's firmware problem that my microsd is not suppoted - went to update to Firmware 1.3
- Still doesn't read that microsd

It's not worth the money, IMO.

EDIT: Formatted the microsd using the Fiio X1 itself, and now the microsd can be read.
EDIT: But .m4a voice recording from S4 still cannot be read, but someone suggested it's something to do with S4

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #5,471 of 7,793
  Just got Fiio X1.

Initial review:

- Thought it's firmware problem that my microsd is not suppoted - went to update to Firmware 1.3

IIRC, I've seen people format their mSD cards thru X1's system format utility and then use it......

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #5,472 of 7,793
Just got Fiio X1.

Initial review:

You need to use a FAT32 format card to update the FW. It's well documented in the FiiO literature. You can do this from the settings menu on the device.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #5,473 of 7,793
  Just got Fiio X1.

Initial review:

Yada... Yada... Yada

It's like saying: I bought a new Mercedes, it doesn't have fuel, I can't make it drive - It doesn't worth the money.

Follow instructions and make it work. Otherwise, send it back rather than dismissing such a wonderful player. 

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #5,475 of 7,793
And it plays m4a (both flac and aac) with no issues - so it's definitely your set-up ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back