The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Feb 25, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #5,131 of 7,793
I'm surprised that you 
  Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help...

I've just received my new X1 and have to say I'm a little disappointed with the sound I'm getting. I was hoping to get something to match the sound of my Rockboxed Clip+ but with a better, more modern UI but have found the bass and general control of the sound via the Eq very lacking. I'm driving a pair of 5 driver custom IEMs with sub bass woofer, dual bass woofer, mid and tweeter (I'm a bass player and use these on stage) and it is as though the X1 just doesn't power the bottom end. With my Rockboxed Clip+ however I can dial in a sound I love and which sounds and feels like I'm listening to a full system. Back to the X1 and it's as though I just have puny earbuds and a (all be it very clear) iPhone 4 all over again :frowning2: 

Don't get me wrong, the sound of X1 is almost crystal clear but for me it just sounds totally flat and the +/- 6 db Eq makes very little difference (especially compared to what seems to be +/- 24 db with Rockbox). Is there something I'm missing or is the X1 just not for those that like their music to stray far from a flat EQ?

I'm surprised that you don't rate the X1 as highly as the Clip+. I was a BIG fan of the clip for many years, but the X1 is in a different league to my ears. In terms of detail the X1 offer a lot more and I personally find the bass more than adequate even with EQing.

I guess the X1 isn't right for you, if you want to change the sound signature to that degree, but I wouldn't dismiss it all together. You may come to appreciate it's other strengths.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #5,132 of 7,793
I'm currently using a Rockboxed Clip+ and sometimes an iAudio7 with Ety HF5, Senn HD 590 and Senn HD 380 PRO. I mainly listen to jazz and classical, with some of the classical being Bach organ music. I'm strongly considering getting the X1, but have also considered just getting an E11k to use with the Clip+

How is the X1 for classical music? I've read a lot of reviews, but have only found a couple of opinions on using it for classical. Two of the reviews here on head-fi were sort of contradictory. One said "treble quality is on the smooth side, sometime lacking sparkle and airiness for classical music" and the other "The FIIO X1 presents the classical and vocal music with a lot of the detail I like, hearing the fingers of the pianist on the keys, the pedals being operated, the bow striking the strings on a violin or cello give so much more then content then only the tune."

What are some opinions on using the X1 for classical and jazz. I have about $4000 in a home stereo for when I want to just sit and listen critically. I also have the older DT880 to use with that system.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #5,133 of 7,793

Seems like you'll need to change the lockscreen settings when you're planning to use it inside your pockets. I have center button disabled when in pocket and enabled when listening seated and have the player on my desktop.

it wasnt in my pocket i was holding it

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #5,137 of 7,793
  The main thing I dislike about the wheel is that sometimes it goes backwards even though you are rotating clockwise.

?

Never had that happen on my X1

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #5,138 of 7,793
  Someone have an idea about the central circle?
He collects dirt and footprints. Maybe there is a sticker on it?
Ideally would suit a vinyl sticker. Corrugated or textured. For finger to cling to. Like a vinyl for phones.
This is the only thing that pisses me off.

Use a brand new ZipLock or SaranWrap!!!   

wink_face.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #5,139 of 7,793
If a 256GB micro sd card came out, would the X1 be capable of playing it - is it the firmware that would need updating, or is it a hardware issue? 
lol If you have the penny to purchace a SDXC 256G card... you have as well to buy a X5 DAP!!

:D

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #5,141 of 7,793
Thanks to Brooko's excellent review in the X1/E11k tour thread and his comparison to the X3 II in the X3 II thread, I just ordered the X1. I would like to get the X3 II, but it just didn't seem worth it to spend double the price for the extra features. Since I think that my Clip+ almost has sufficient power for everything but my DT880, I don't think that there will be any lack of power with the X1 to drive my headphones. I have plenty of Sandisk Extreme and Ultra micro SD cards, so no added cost there.

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #5,142 of 7,793
James, i just want to ask if the stickers that came with the X1. Would that leave any markings if just in case i want to remove it?
Tried by yourself! It's The best way to know! :D

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #5,143 of 7,793

James, i just want to ask if the stickers that came with the X1. Would that leave any markings if just in case i want to remove it?

Tried by yourself! It's The best way to know! 
biggrin.gif

Not sure if you still need to know after three weeks, but the stickers do not leave any markings. A few months back, my X1 ended up in the washing machine and I just ripped off the sticker as part of the process of drying it. Definitely no markings despite an extremely rough job. My X1 is still working while my Ostry KC06a ended up with channel imbalance.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere to purchase extra skins (stickers) for the X1, or I might just try my wooden skin if I feel like making that change.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #5,145 of 7,793
  Anyone tried the X1's with the AKG K7XX? How do they sound? 

I just got my K7xx this week. Testing it for the first time on the X1 (literally doing that at the time of this post), I can drive the K7xx without even reaching halfway volume. Depending on the song, I might switch anywhere from 34-42 on the volume meter (this is more dependent on how sensitive my ears are at the time).

Since I have barely used these K7xx's (less than 5 hours), I will refrain myself from describing the sound as my impressions will probably change once I settle in these headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back