The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Feb 22, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #5,102 of 7,793
After owning the FiiO X1 for a couple months now, I'd like to share some quick impressions. I think everyone knows by now that this is a very good music player. It's incredibly clear and does everything well. It plays every format flawlessly- from mp3s to FLAC to even WMA Lossless files (something that I've never seen anyone else use, but it's my main format). Listening to The Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" now with my X1 and my Shure SRH440, with the custom EQ, is just audio heaven. The EQ is great; turn up the mid-bass and the mid-bass goes up. That's it. It won't hurt any other frequencies, it'll do what it's supposed to, no more, no less. The SRH440 is a headphone that I've found to lack a little bass, and turning up the bass and mids a bit have made this a much more fun and lively headphone. Unless you've got headphones that cost over $250-$300, there may not be much reason to go up to something more expensive. The X1 is an incredible player for the price. It's better than any phone or iPod I've used. It's neutral (maybe a hint of warmth, but I think it's not very noticeable, and again, the EQ works great) and is good at just about everything. You may not get some crazy huge soundstage your headphones can only barely reproduce or perfect imaging and textures, but the X1 is $100. Couple that with insane build quality and a great UI, and this is the ultimate budget audiophile player. I'd highly recommend it for anyone just getting into audio who needs something that's cheap but doesn't seem cheap.

I may do a full review at some point, but haven't found the time. Again, I highly recommend the X1 and overall, the FiiO brand; I own both the X1 and their old E1 amp, which both sound great and work flawlessly without breaking the bank.

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #5,103 of 7,793
Hi all, im new in this forum & audio stuff.. After reading n googled, i decide to upgrade my dap ruizu x02, the problem i cant quite decide, whether to buy new Fiio X1 or Ipod video (30gb / 60gb)... I often listen to rock/metal (nightwish, within temptation, acdc) , edm/trance (guetta, dash berlin, armeen), and almost all genre, except r&b, hip hop etc kind. Im confuse bcos some people said ipod video with wolfson is such an kick ass dap, and the others said Fiio X1 sound sig is perfect for my kind of genre (the said wolfson in apple is much better for audiophile rather than rock/metal music) . Need some enlightenment

Ps : didnt mean to compare fiio wit idevices

Feb 23, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #5,104 of 7,793
The ipod video is fairly easy to modify for more storage and plays video with limitations. And can run rock box. There are mods to one terabyte I think. Mine has 256gb. The ipod mini can be modded also and sounds surprisingly good

The X1 has a beefy amp that handles many headphones better than the ipod. Also plays high res files if you so desire.
Limit of 128gb based on microsd.

I have both. And also the x3. For sound my rank ordering is x3 first. Closely followed by X1. But the iPods are not slouches.

Feb 23, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #5,106 of 7,793
The ipod video is fairly easy to modify for more storage and plays video with limitations. And can run rock box. There are mods to one terabyte I think. Mine has 256gb. The ipod mini can be modded also and sounds surprisingly good

The X1 has a beefy amp that handles many headphones better than the ipod. Also plays high res files if you so desire.
Limit of 128gb based on microsd.

I have both. And also the x3. For sound my rank ordering is x3 first. Closely followed by X1. But the iPods are not slouches.

Thx for reply. Wow how can you mod it till 256gb. Ok, so the conclusion is x1 still better than ipod video, cmiiw

Feb 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #5,107 of 7,793
Has anyone figured out how to decrease the lag between changing a song and the artwork appearing on the playing screen? It takes about 4 seconds on the X1 and it's almost instant on my rockboxed ClipZip so I assume it has something to do with the X1.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #5,108 of 7,793
  Has anyone figured out how to decrease the lag between changing a song and the artwork appearing on the playing screen? It takes about 4 seconds on the X1 and it's almost instant on my rockboxed ClipZip so I assume it has something to do with the X1.

Take any embedded art work out of your files, and just use a single folder.jpg for each album.  It speeds up the display quite a bit.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #5,109 of 7,793
I've enjoyed my X1 for 2 weeks now and I love it. In my mind it's the heroic descendant to my abandoned Gigabeat f40 (it even looks similar and fits the same way in my hand).

I had to downsize my cover images to load faster, i had mainly 2mb jpeg files. I used Riot to resize and compress the images and now I have mostly 500x500px under 200kB.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #5,110 of 7,793

Take any embedded art work out of your files, and just use a single folder.jpg for each album.  It speeds up the display quite a bit.

Oh man. I spent the last week making sure all my files had embedded artwork bc a lot of my folders have multiple album tracks. Oh well, back to MusicBee and mp3tag.

Thanks for the help Brooko.

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #5,111 of 7,793
It doesn't really bother me that much, so I didn't worry about doing it on my X5 - but I did change it for the X1, and there was a noticeable speed improvement.  At the end of the day though, the music still plays, and a slight lag on the screen is only minor - so it depends on your level of OCD 
wink.gif

I just changed the X1 out of curiousity to see what the result would be.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #5,112 of 7,793
I've never used MusicBee, it looks good. I use MediaMonkey and they seem similar. There might be an option for you in the synchronize settings. In MM that setting is inside the device sync settings->options->tagging.
I cant include images yet, but you can see it here

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5,113 of 7,793
  I've never used MusicBee, it looks good. I use MediaMonkey and they seem similar. There might be an option for you in the synchronize settings. In MM that setting is inside the device sync settings->options->tagging.
I cant include images yet, but you can see it here

MusicBee is pretty powerful. There's an option hidden somewhere that limits the number of px on album art. You can also put it in a separate .jpg file or in a .jpg in the album folder.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #5,114 of 7,793
Bad-ish news: After 3-4 months of using the X1 as portable and putting it inside my pocket, the scrollwheel barely scrolls now lol... Possibly due to accumulated dust. No biggie though since I don't really choose songs, I just power on the X1, and let it play on random.

Good news: Until few hours ago I just discovered that I can navigate the menus/song list through the two lower buttons on the X1 
basshead.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #5,115 of 7,793
Is there a problem with my x1. First suddenly my ttpod t1e started to make beeping noises in the left side and I returned them and now my re 400 started to make cracking noises in left side and shocked my ear could there be a problem with my x1 or just the iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back