The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Nov 16, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #3,931 of 7,793
Chompy, 'enabling' an effect that isn't built into the dap means redesigning it I'd think. Poor Fiio!!!!! Perhaps the wider soundstage etc is more to do with better electronics inside?

I'm kind of feeling for Fiio here where these demands come flying in and if possible, we'd have a perfect dap that doesn't exist for everyone.

My own feeling is that the bigger machines will offer more of what you're looking for, but you're asking for it in a $99 dap.

I feel that Fiio have done a great job with this machine and look forward to moving up the range. I'm converted!! All of my old Ipods have gone now and I no longer rely on ITunes. I also get imo, a better sound from the x1. :wink:

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #3,936 of 7,793
  @JamesFiio

Sorry if this has been aswered before, but...

Maybe the only one "complaint" I've read about X1 is that its soundstage is compressed, without the airiness of X5 or IHIFI 770.

As X1 uses TI PCM5142 and it includes a miniDSP that can be programmed with PurePath Studio and according to its description (http://www.ti.com/tool/aicpurepath_studio) and Q&A it has the ability to add surround effects and 3D virtualizer:

You can see them in the componnets tab of PurePath studio:

Is there any chance to see in a future firmware release the option to manually enable one of these effects in order to expand the soundstage?

Thank you

Maybe, but we are quite busy in the developing of the new firmware for X3/X5 and  some new model , and now we have not so many resource to find how we can add in x1.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #3,940 of 7,793
USB sticks of different manufacturers and different types may or may not work on the X1.  There have been some posts either here or on the X5 thread about that.  Sorry, I can't recall who posted with info on what sticks worked for them.

Easy access through the rubber case to the memory card?  IDK, I kind of like sliding the case off, reminds me of my teenage years.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

How about an X-Acto knife and a steady hand.  Cut a small slice that you can expand to get the card in and out of.  However, that might weaken the case over time, and rip.   

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #3,941 of 7,793
I'm just ganna have to bust this out.

Does anyone worry about the heavy usage the 'back' button gets hammered on X1? Mines still OK but I worry about this.

Did James have one of his workers sit there and press the buttons one million times testing for durability?

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3,942 of 7,793
?  Why are you using the back button so much?  I'm more concerned with the center circle button, which seems both more vulnerable due to repeated pressing but also has felt, from the start, a little "off."  The X5 center button feels a lot stronger, more centered.  The X1 center button feels like it is on a pivot, and if I don't press it directly in the middle, it doesn't always work.  That said, it seems to work just fine if I DO press it in the center.  So, user error?  

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #3,943 of 7,793
?  Why are you using the back button so much?  I'm more concerned with the center circle button, which seems both more vulnerable due to repeated pressing but also has felt, from the start, a little "off."  The X5 center button feels a lot stronger, more centered.  The X1 center button feels like it is on a pivot, and if I don't press it directly in the middle, it doesn't always work.  That said, it seems to work just fine if I DO press it in the center.  So, user error?  

I tend to change albums quite frequently , from the play screen it takes a double back press to reach the folder directory which I can do 3-4 times in 5 minutes. My gut tells me this is not a good thing for the back button.

My centre button is like you describe but I don't have the same OCD. I'm probably more cautious about the back button because my Studio V units buttons sank into the casing no longer clicking anymore.

At the end of the day sure they will last and honestly I would just replace the entire unit it's that cheap (for my budget). I'm mainly interested if anyone gets the 'I'm clicking this too much' feeling.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #3,944 of 7,793
Oh, you are talking about the upper right menu button, yes?  I thought you meant the go back a song button on the lower left.  Sure, I use that button a lot as well.  I would expect that when Fiio looked at specs when it was sourcing its parts, it chose buttons that would take repeated pressing for X number of times before failing.  Most (good) devices are built that way.  Expected use before failure.  I would guess (hope) that we have at least a few years of pressing before there are issues.  

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,945 of 7,793
Chompy, 'enabling' an effect that isn't built into the dap means redesigning it I'd think. Poor Fiio!!!!! Perhaps the wider soundstage etc is more to do with better electronics inside?

I'm kind of feeling for Fiio here where these demands come flying in and if possible, we'd have a perfect dap that doesn't exist for everyone.

My own feeling is that the bigger machines will offer more of what you're looking for, but you're asking for it in a $99 dap.

I feel that Fiio have done a great job with this machine and look forward to moving up the range. I'm converted!! All of my old Ipods have gone now and I no longer rely on ITunes. I also get imo, a better sound from the x1. :wink:

If I'm not wrong the these effects are already inside X1, it's like the equalizer it has: they are hardware coded in its dac (TI PCM5142) they just need to be enabled and it seems to be quite easy with TI tool.

Maybe, but we are quite busy in the developing of the new firmware for X3/X5 and  some new model , and now we have not so many resource to find how we can add in x1.

Ok, thanks, I understand you prioritize X3/X5 (costumers have spend more money on their products and it's reasonable they get more attention form you) but don't forget us, entry level buyers that cannot spend more, but also support your products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back