The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #3,601 of 7,793
I just ordered a used X1 from a guy in California, claims it was used for an hour...we will see. Couldn't beat the $75.00 price 
biggrin.gif
  Here's to hoping it holds up to my C3 in the sound department(from what I've read on here, it looks like it will ** crosses fingers**). Impressions will follow 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #3,603 of 7,793
  The C3 is very clear but somewhat impersonal.  I think you'll like the X1.  Plus there's an actual GUI.  
wink_face.gif

Yea...but I have gotten used to my C3, it's an art form of sorts to get it to work smoothly, I feel like I've accomplished something lol. But it WILL be nice to have an honest to goodness GUI again....I miss them 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #3,604 of 7,793
  Yea...but I have gotten used to my C3, it's an art form of sorts to get it to work smoothly, I feel like I've accomplished something lol. But it WILL be nice to have an honest to goodness GUI again....I miss them 
biggrin.gif

C3's UI is good for simplicity, Colorfly had the right idea keeping it back to basics. For comparisons sake basically akin to an old CD player where you picked a CD playing one album (of course skipping tracks if wanted). So for those reasons Its quite effective.

The problem is they left ends untied like random backwards scrolling titles. That's the one thing that bugs me and slows down my experience. I can deal with the small screen, which isn't too bad honestly and we can use drivesort to fix the folder order quickly, but those backwards scrolling folder titles really needed a patch which never came (and probably won't)

For those unware C3 has a very small oled screen which only allows viewing of two folders at a time, however the firmware has been designed to randomly select which way those folders scroll across the screen, either from the start or end of the folder title, so depending what the player chooses when you back out to your folder list you see the end of the folder name first and it scrolls backwards. 

Then why use it you say? Because it sounds bloody great! 

X1 is not only a great sounding unit (I honestly love it with T-Peos H-300) The UI is well adapted.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #3,605 of 7,793
My brother's x1 just arrived,,he would be coming next month so comparison with clip+ will be surely done.
I already know it sounds much better due to 19 odd reviews for this player out in a short span of time though.

This player must be doing something right.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #3,606 of 7,793
  My brother's x1 just arrived,,he would be coming next month so comparison with clip+ will be surely done.
I already know it sounds much better due to 19 odd reviews for this player out in a short span of time though.

This player must be doing something right.

Odd reviews? There is a World Tour for the X1 going around so that is why there are alot of reviews being posted within a few weeks/months.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729177/fiio-x1-preview-world-tour-open-for-new-applications

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #3,607 of 7,793
Oct 30, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #3,608 of 7,793
Hi everyone,

I'm very new here (1st post actually) and this forum was actually the reason I bought the X1 :wink:
I got it yesterday but I'm already experiencing a few probs (or A LOT). Note that I'm bad with technology!
So, first of all, I put a microSD (it wasn't blank, it had some music on from my previous mp3) then I added some more music and when I did the library synchronization, it got stuck at No357. I did the procedure that's on the website, reset, take the microSD out, synchronise again so it goes to zero, then go to browse and delete files. Then I went to my microSD through the computer and the files were still there and again the media lib creation got stuck.
I did factory reset and tried again and now media lib gets stuck even earlier. Nothing is on my list and i can only listen to music through browse files but then it stucks or skips tracks or goes black and I have to remove the SD to make it work again. Any advice? Also note that the firmware thingie that the instructions had, i couldn't find it and dont know how to install it. :frowning2:

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #3,609 of 7,793
  Hi everyone,

I'm very new here (1st post actually) and this forum was actually the reason I bought the X1 :wink:
I got it yesterday but I'm already experiencing a few probs (or A LOT). Note that I'm bad with technology!
So, first of all, I put a microSD (it wasn't blank, it had some music on from my previous mp3) then I added some more music and when I did the library synchronization, it got stuck at No357. I did the procedure that's on the website, reset, take the microSD out, synchronise again so it goes to zero, then go to browse and delete files. Then I went to my microSD through the computer and the files were still there and again the media lib creation got stuck.
I did factory reset and tried again and now media lib gets stuck even earlier. Nothing is on my list and i can only listen to music through browse files but then it stucks or skips tracks or goes black and I have to remove the SD to make it work again. Any advice? Also note that the firmware thingie that the instructions had, i couldn't find it and dont know how to install it. :frowning2:

@H20Fidelity

help this fellow out man

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #3,611 of 7,793
I am certainly not an expert, but I suppose you can do the following to clean your SD-card:
- put your SD-card into a reader and delete the files/maps in your card.
- format your card with your pc/laptop. It doesn't matter in which format  FAT32 / FAT16 / NTFS /... It is just for cleaning up your SD card.
- after formatting, put it into your X1 and format your SD card again with your X1 in System settings  (storage formatting). This time your card will be in the correct format, necessary for your player.
- then connect your player with your computer and you will find an empty map where you can put your music.
- disconnect the X1, update your media library in System settings
- and normally everything should be working.

Be aware that your music should be ripped correctly. When you music is not ripped correctly, your device could hang up because it can't read the file (mp3, flac, alac, ...) as it should.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #3,612 of 7,793
OceanoHere's the official FAQ for a media library update hangup which may be posted *somewhere* on the FiiO website now. :rolleyes: And I mean no sarcasm because I really don't know if it has been posted yet :xf_eek:

What to do if “Update Media library” causes hangups?

If the X1/X3/X5 hangs while updating the media library, it will still hang on any subsequent attempt if no changes are made. The first thing to try is to eject the micro SD card(s), update the media library with no cards loaded to clear the database, insert the card(s) again and try updating again. If the update still hangs, then it is caused by certain problems on the card(s) or certain problems with files on the cards. Please try the following:

1. Run SAMediaScanner (attached at the end of this FAQ) on your SD cards to scan for files with errors. If any files with errors are detected, please delete the files (re-encoding the music and re-testing if necessary) and run the media library update again; if the update still hangs,

2. Please examine the SD card(s) on the computer and delete files with .log extension or any other non-music files from the card(s) and run the media library update again; if the update still hangs,

3. Please try the following method:
1. remove the cards and do a library update (clears the database)
2. move half of the songs out of the card (e.g. half of the folders), insert the card and try the library update again.
3. if the update succeeds:
a. add half of the folders you moved out back into the card (for a total of 3/4 of the original total) and try again
if the update in (2) fails:
b. move out half of the remaining folders (for a total of 1/4 of the original total) and try again
if the update in (b) succeeds:
i. add half of the folders you moved out in (b) back into the card and try again
Basically the idea is to use a binary tree elimination to find song(s) or file(s) that are causing issues with the library scan.

Now excuse me while I go look for this SAMediaScanner... :xf_eek: Be back to update this post soon
edit: Here it is! https://www.dropbox.com/s/ocfkf0sxpbuhrov/SAMediaScanner.exe?dl=0

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 30, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3,613 of 7,793
  Hi everyone,

Edit: looks like Joe Bloggs has a good response.  If his instructions don't work, I recommend formatting your microSD card in the X1 itself and then copying your music files back onto the card.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #3,614 of 7,793
Oh, ok. I was wondering whether you might be using something that needs a lot to drive them.

I've been using a Denon d600 with it and although they're low impedance, it's surprising how much current they demand and in fact, seem less sensitive than the Grados. Sometimes, that can make e bass seem to be weak, but you're using sensitive headphones. :unamused:

Did a A/B comparison between my Galaxy S4 and the X1 last night for bass.  Ended up using my CAL! since they were handy.  Anyway, I'm going to back off my earlier sentiments some what.  The difference in bass quantity between the 2 is not huge like I initially though.  The phone does have more and is warmer.  However, the X1 is no slouch and is more than satisfactory.  Pair it with the E11k and it is simply wonderful.  I'm really going to enjoy this little player!

Carry on.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #3,615 of 7,793
Hmm. It's way past office hours at FiiO HQ and nobody is there to send me a copy of SAMediaScanner. I'll post it up as soon as I have it :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back