The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Oct 4, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #2,642 of 7,793
Received the X1 yesterday. I have to say, this thing sounds great. I used iPod classics in the last years (3 of them), which all succombed to a mysterious "stop while in your pocket even with hold button on" illness. The play and next track buttons all died before that.. I can only compare to those. The bass definitly is stronger on the X1. The direction of instruments is more easily heard, faint sounds that I couldn't hear before are now there, it just sounds better overall.
I searched for a high capacity ipod classic player and found a cheaper better sounding player. I have to say, contrary to what many here are saying, I found the interface superior. You can browse folders, skipping through a track only takes one button, you can always change the volume and quickly access now playing and even the album that is now playing. For me the screen is absolutely adequate, for that size and to my eyes the resolution is good.

The bad points are the track limit, but this is not so important to me as I have a folder structure library and prefer to search like that now anyway.
BUT, if it is possible some kind of scroll accelaration is deeply needed.

I just hope the buttons on this device dont give up after a year of use like the ipods..

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #2,643 of 7,793
Damn, I ordered from UK Amazon for 99 pounds plus shipping in the beginning of the week and they still haven't shipped it. Maybe I should cancel and get it cheaper from Germany.

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #2,644 of 7,793
Echo what rapel says about the bass

I need to experiment with eq settings to tone it down a bit

Using with Yamaha eph100 and its a great combo

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #2,645 of 7,793
Coming from Ipod Classics, I also find the sound pretty full but for some reason, I also find thaat the sound has more presence at lower volumes.

What a lovely player this is. I must admit, I am bowled over by the quality of sound and build at this price. I think my Ipods and Itunes are leaving the building soon!!

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:43 AM Post #2,646 of 7,793
Coming from Ipod Classics, I also find the sound pretty full but for some reason, I also find thaat the sound has more presence at lower volumes.

What a lovely player this is. I must admit, I am bowled over by the quality of sound and build at this price. I think my Ipods and Itunes are leaving the building soon!!

Yeah, I just got mines today and it sounds very nice. Definitely comparable to the more expensive players out there, and the build quality is better than my x5. Just got the fiio e17 a while ago and I prefer the sound coming out the x1 more.
sound stage is a bit lacking though

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,647 of 7,793
Couldn't agree more with the two posts above

For the price this is a gem of a player, the ui (IMO) is spot on for dap functionally, all you could want and need. The eq player was the only thing I found a little quirky.

Tamed the bass a little but also agree soundstage not hugely wide. Never the less, beats my iPods with a stick and in some cases (from memory) I prefer the volume, clout and slam of this to my old Sony f886!!! Always felt the Sony was lacking something but this little fiio seems like an aggressive little monster right out of the box and needs miniscule taming

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #2,649 of 7,793
Here are some photos:

X1 Package:

X1 Player with accessoires:

Now i have a reason to convert my CD collection into Flac files ^~^
Looking forward for listening to this awesome piece of tech and will definitely share my thoughts here
dt880smile.png

(although i'm not really a audiophile or really experienced in reviews
redface.gif
hope you aren't to harsh
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 4, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #2,650 of 7,793
You know, it's slightly better via an amp I think. Soundstaging improves. The output is quite healthy too once you switch it over. Listening via an Ember and K612 reveals a lovely open sound that still has a tinge of warmth but is very nice indeed.

I wonder whether Fiio has intended this as a taster for the others? I must admit, I am very curious about the X5 now.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,652 of 7,793
You know, it's slightly better via an amp I think. Soundstaging improves. The output is quite healthy too once you switch it over. Listening via an Ember and K612 reveals a lovely open sound that still has a tinge of warmth but is very nice indeed.

I wonder whether Fiio has intended this as a taster for the others? I must admit, I am very curious about the X5 now.

I have the E07K on it currently and I have to agree, the soundstage definitely widens, even with such a lower-end model amp.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #2,653 of 7,793
One praise and one qualm:
I love that the player has a warning on screen to remind you that you're in line-out mode, so as not to blow your eardrums if you forget and go to play something with IEMs after removing the amp.
I dislike that you can't delete tracks from the regular genre/artist/etc area of the player.

Oct 4, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #2,654 of 7,793
It may be too soon to ask this, but have any of you noticed a change in the sound of the X1, after a "break in period"? Such as a change in clarity or bass?

(I don't have an X1 yet. I plan to get one soon for outdoor listening. I've just recently gotten my X3 stable with the latest FW, so I'm "resting" a bit, before adopting another DAP. :smile:)

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #2,655 of 7,793
I think that a purely digital system, like this player, can't show any kind of phenomenon one might call "burn-in".  It's either voodoo, the user trying to justificate their purchase, or them getting used to the sound of the player. I hope for our sake that it's mostly the latter.

Have you heard of CPUs or GPUs getting better with time? They might get worse, and - outside of the physical destruction of circuits - that's because of an analog component showing signs of aging: the cooling system. They most certainly won't improve. It's the same with DAPs, outside the fact that most of them lack even the stray analog component a GPU or CPU has.

This is my understanding, but I'm open to be proven wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back