The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Feb 3, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #6,661 of 7,793
  I'm going to take a chance on the Seiun player, but I'm also going to buy the Fiio M3 (I liked the power of the Xduoo X2, but everything else pointed to the M3).

I could use some advice on the seller from which I should buy. Usually I would buy from Amazon. I have to pay sales tax there, so I may look elsewhere. Can someone educate me on buying from other sellers (especially the foreign ones)?.........reliability, time, price, and anything else that I should be aware of.

Two foreign sellers that I've seen are Aliexpress and Tomtop. Two U.S. sellers are Parts Express and Pitbull Audio. I assume that their advantage over foreign sources is the  time to get the item. Are any/all of these good? Any others that should be considered?

If cost is pretty much the same, I will probably stay with Amazon (mainly because of their return policy and piece of mind)........but, I would still like to know about alternative sources, and what to watch out for. Has anyone had a bad experience with any sellers?

I apologize for my offtopic post, but several people have helped me here and I didn't want to explain everything again in another forum. 

B&H in NYC is a good place to buy Fiio products. Sometimes they even have special deals on them. I got my Fiio X1 there for $80 with a free 32GB card.
I think they might have some items on sale around Feb 15 for presidents day. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Player+Type_High+Res+Player&ci=4259&N=3715154717+3714741441

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #6,662 of 7,793
  B&H in NYC is a good place to buy Fiio products. Sometimes they even have special deals on them. I got my Fiio X1 there for $80 with a free 32GB card.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Player+Type_High+Res+Player&ci=4259&N=3715154717+3714741441

I guess I was too anxious. I bought the M3 already. Thanks for the info though.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #6,663 of 7,793
Hey guys, anyone found a solution for artists name "The [blank]" appearing under T section?

I thought setting sorting info on iTunes to be "Beatles" but actual artist name to "The Beatles" would fix that but I'm pretty positive all my artists are set like this and my Fiio still sorts all of them under T.

Thanks guys,

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #6,664 of 7,793

Yes they do have some very good deals sometimes. I got my X3ii there for $160. Adorama also had some good deals on awhile ago too.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #6,665 of 7,793
Hey guys, anyone found a solution for artists name "The [blank]" appearing under T section?

I thought setting sorting info on iTunes to be "Beatles" but actual artist name to "The Beatles" would fix that but I'm pretty positive all my artists are set like this and my Fiio still sorts all of them under T.

Thanks guys,

Not too sure, to be honest.  Once I started re-ripping all of my CD collection a couple of years ago using both dBpoweramp and JRiver Media Center, I just made the decision to tag all of my "The [blank]" artists as "Beatles, The."  I know JRiver will allow you to ignore articles such as "a, and, the, etc." in its sorting, but I still don't know how the FiiO software on the X1 would handle it.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #6,666 of 7,793
the software doesn't recognize "the" as a thing to not sort by. it will always be in the "T" section with the other bands that start with "the". it also, strangely, doesn't sort multi disc albums in one directory properly with usual tagging (you might get 1-01, 2-01, 1-02, 2-02, etc)

Feb 4, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #6,667 of 7,793
I'm starting to have issues with my scroll wheel. It seems to stick in certain spots. I've never had an issue until recently.

Running 1.6 firmware although I think the issue is physical. Is there a safe way to clean under the wheel maybe?

Feb 5, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #6,668 of 7,793
I'm starting to have issues with my scroll wheel. It seems to stick in certain spots. I've never had an issue until recently.

Running 1.6 firmware although I think the issue is physical. Is there a safe way to clean under the wheel maybe?

Question is, how do you clean under the wheel?

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #6,670 of 7,793
Yup that's what I want to know

Unfortunatly I don't think there is an easy way, canned air ( used in cleaning comps) was the omly thing I've tried and don't think it made a difference. Granted it was on one of my X3ii on which the wheels never felt as tight or smooth. The one thing I found with is different firmware does change the wheel behavior. You may ( simply because it's so easy) try a couple earlier releases it may point out if it's physical or software and even if a physical issue one may help the issue anyway. Wish I had better suggestions but it's probably worth try both

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #6,671 of 7,793
Unfortunatly I don't think there is an easy way, canned air ( used in cleaning comps) was the omly thing I've tried and don't think it made a difference. Granted it was on one of my X3ii on which the wheels never felt as tight or smooth. The one thing I found with is different firmware does change the wheel behavior. You may ( simply because it's so easy) try a couple earlier releases it may point out if it's physical or software and even if a physical issue one may help the issue anyway. Wish I had better suggestions but it's probably worth try both

I'm certain is physical sadly. You can feel it almost grab in certain spots. I was thinking of using a touch of isopropyl but I'm hesitant.

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #6,672 of 7,793
I'm certain is physical sadly. You can feel it almost grab in certain spots. I was thinking of using a touch of isopropyl but I'm hesitant.

I would be hesitant about using iso as well, I have on occasion ruined things cleaning with it. Primarily automotive switchs that used an electrical grease to reduce wear. Which wouldn't be the case here. The bearing surface should be a high tech plastic nylon, delrin something like that. My biggest concern with iso is that it's a conductive fluid and there isn't a way to remove the battery so there is the potential for damege based on that. Fiio tends to follow these forums so would be surprised if there wasn't some input from them fairly soon. I've never emailed them directly before but would try that if there's no reply soon.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #6,673 of 7,793
According to Fiio, the scroll wheel is from ALPS Electronics. I tried to find some "take apart" images but haven't found so far:

(...)
we [Fiio] have used the best wheel from ALPS Japan. and depended on our analysis. most wheel issues is cause by the wheel itself. but not the design, implement and others, means there will have few customers meet the problem

(...)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/772660/fiio-scroll-wheel#post_11946962

EDIT: just found the image below at Headphoniaks:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back