The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Jan 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #6,616 of 7,793
You're welcome. I noticed the other day that they had the plastic cases at MP4 Nation too. Too bad Dignis doesn't make the leather cases for the X1 anymore..

Me as well, I see they're still ( Dignis ) available for the X3 and X5. Probably for many at about 30% of the cost of the player it didn't account for many sales. The only Fiio (X1) leatherette I've seen is blue and arranged differently then the Fiio X3. Something about just doesn't click for me. I imagine I should grab a Dignis for my X3 and see if, with minimal shimming it would fit nicely. If I do I'll let you know.

Jan 21, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #6,617 of 7,793
Me as well, I see they're still ( Dignis ) available for the X3 and X5. Probably for many at about 30% of the cost of the player it didn't account for many sales. The only Fiio (X1) leatherette I've seen is blue and arranged differently then the Fiio X3. Something about just doesn't click for me. I imagine I should grab a Dignis for my X3 and see if, with minimal shimming it would fit nicely. If I do I'll let you know.

No, I don't like that blue case for the X1 either. I prefer the cut outs for the screen and scroll wheel and the blue is just plain ugly and I don't like flip cases. I have an X3ii Dignis case but never tried it on my X1. I think the X1 is 2mm thinner than the X3ii so if you slid a piece of 2mm cardboard in the bottom it might fit well.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #6,618 of 7,793
No, I don't like that blue case for the X1 either. I prefer the cut outs for the screen and scroll wheel and the blue is just plain ugly and I don't like flip cases. I have an X3ii Dignis case but never tried it on my X1. I think the X1 is 2mm thinner than the X3ii so if you slid a piece of 2mm cardboard in the bottom it might fit well.

2 mm is fairly managable and if done right may not be visually apparent. The A3 ( e11k) came with nice silicone pads which would do nicely. I keep thinking about this, but I haven't figured out if I like the idea as a mental diy problem or if I'd actually use it once done. Thanks for the idea.

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #6,620 of 7,793
I'm looking for a small DAP better than the Clip.I have 3 Clips.....also have 3 relatively inexpensive Sony's (<$100), a Cowon J3, and a Hidizs AP100. The Hidiz is very good, but too bulky (cycling and running). Even the J3 is a little larger than I would like. Besides size, I definitely want a great audio only player (don't need video), with a custom eq, if possible. Would an X1 be recommended, or is there another DAP that I should consider (I don't want to go too much above $200, street price. One review I read said that if the X1 is shut off, it doesn't pick up where it left off, when turned on again. If this is true, it would be a deal breaker for me....does it return to the song that was playing when turned on again? TIA

Jan 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #6,621 of 7,793
  I'm looking for a small DAP better than the Clip.I have 3 Clips.....also have 3 relatively inexpensive Sony's (<$100), a Cowon J3, and a Hidizs AP100. The Hidiz is very good, but too bulky (cycling and running). Even the J3 is a little larger than I would like. Besides size, I definitely want a great audio only player (don't need video), with a custom eq, if possible. Would an X1 be recommended, or is there another DAP that I should consider (I don't want to go too much above $200, street price. One review I read said that if the X1 is shut off, it doesn't pick up where it left off, when turned on again. If this is true, it would be a deal breaker for me....does it return to the song that was playing when turned on again? TIA

There is a setting that you have to set for the resume mode. You can set it to not resume when turning the X1 on, set it to restart the song last played, or set it to resume at the position of the song last played.

If you're looking for something similar in size to the Clip, you can check out the FiiO M3 or even the Xduoo X2.

Jan 23, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #6,622 of 7,793
2 mm is fairly managable and if done right may not be visually apparent. The A3 ( e11k) came with nice silicone pads which would do nicely. I keep thinking about this, but I haven't figured out if I like the idea as a mental diy problem or if I'd actually use it once done. Thanks for the idea.

No problem..let me know if it works if you try it...I might try it too.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #6,623 of 7,793
I don't use the silicon case as it blocks the micro sd slot and it is a lint magnet. I keep getting the urge to wash the silicon case as it looks dirty right out of my pocket.

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #6,624 of 7,793
I don't use the silicon case as it blocks the micro sd slot and it is a lint magnet. I keep getting the urge to wash the silicon case as it looks dirty right out of my pocket.

Get one of the clear plastic ones and give the silicone one to me
wink_face.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #6,625 of 7,793
  There is a setting that you have to set for the resume mode. You can set it to not resume when turning the X1 on, set it to restart the song last played, or set it to resume at the position of the song last played.

If you're looking for something similar in size to the Clip, you can check out the FiiO M3 or even the Xduoo X2.

Thanks for the reply. Since you mentioned the M3 and Xduoo X2, how do all three, FiiO X1, M3, and Xduoo X2 compare audio-wise?

Is there a winner in terms of sound ..............I realize that this is subjective, but what is your point of view? Said another way, forgetting cost, which one would you choose based on sound alone.

Considering all three overall (sound + UI+battery+etc), would you still choose the same one?
Thanks

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #6,626 of 7,793

Thanks for the reply. Since you mentioned the M3 and Xduoo X2, how do all three, FiiO X1, M3, and Xduoo X2 compare audio-wise?

Is there a winner in terms of sound ..............I realize that this is subjective, but what is your point of view? Said another way, forgetting cost, which one would you choose based on sound alone.

Considering all three overall (sound + UI+battery+etc), would you still choose the same one?
Thanks

those devices are different in several ways, even if we were to look at them only for what audio signal they output, you still end up drawn out to other factors depending on what IEM/headphone you use, maybe impedance, maybe power, maybe background hiss, maybe none of those wil matter for your IEM?
are you ok with the more limited highres formats in the M3? are you ok with small screen and low outside visibility of the Xduoo X2? are you ok with carrying a bigger fiio X1?
IMO that's the kind of question you should ask yourself, not others. in the end you will have to live with the thing in your pocket, and while we all accept to make sacrifices for audio (at least in our head), in practice as time passes, simply having a DAP that doesn't annoy you, that's subjectively a great matter of enjoying audio.

I know I'm not helping, but I believe I am ^_^.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #6,627 of 7,793

those devices are different in several ways, even if we were to look at them only for what audio signal they output, you still end up drawn out to other factors depending on what IEM/headphone you use, maybe impedance, maybe power, maybe background hiss, maybe none of those wil matter for your IEM?
are you ok with the more limited highres formats in the M3? are you ok with small screen and low outside visibility of the Xduoo X2? are you ok with carrying a bigger fiio X1?
IMO that's the kind of question you should ask yourself, not others. in the end you will have to live with the thing in your pocket, and while we all accept to make sacrifices for audio (at least in our head), in practice as time passes, simply having a DAP that doesn't annoy you, that's subjectively a great matter of enjoying audio.

I know I'm not helping, but I believe I am ^_^.

I am aware that several variables should be considered before making a decision. One of which is a recommendation from someone "in the know." That's what i was trying to get with my post. I wouldn't necessarily buy based solely on that recommendation (or recommendations)......I would consider all the info that I can get, including recommendations and then make my decision. Also, it would be extremely useful if those making a recommendation would explain why they would choose one, or even why they would eliminate one. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #6,628 of 7,793
you mean like this? http://www.head-fi.org/t/691332/the-all-new-fiio-x1-192k-24b-pcm5142-dac-and-100mw-output-with-lo-and-inline-remote/6585#post_12266746
^_^

if you want informed opinions, tell us what IEM/headphone you would be using, and mostly to do what? will you ever consider getting a portable amp? etc. 
it might not help, or it might, but depending on my IEMs and what I'm doing, I use different DAPs.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #6,629 of 7,793

I have the Fiio X1, fiio M3, and the Sandisk Clip+(Rockboxed), Sandisk Clip zip(Rockboxed) and Sandisk Sport. If you care about size and weight, and especially if you plan to keep the player in a shirt pocket, the Fiio X1 is likely to be uncomfortably large and heavy for you. My Fiio X1 stays at home. The Fiio M3 is likely to be better suited for you as it is much smaller and lighter than the X1, and has much longer battery life. Having said that though, the firmware for the M3 still has glitches, such as occasional stuttering noises, and often not playing tracks in order based on track numbers. There are some other firmware glitches as well. For now I stopped using my M3 until the firmware is updated and these issues are fixed. The last firmware update decreased the frequency of the stuttering, but didn't solve it completely. The buttons on the the M3 are also annoying though. What don't you like about the Clips? If it is the power output, the Fiio M3 will play much louder. The screen on the Fiio M3 is much larger. The M3 is listed as having 24 hours of battery life vs just 11 hours for the X1. I haven't tested the battery life on these.

Read my Fiio M3 review. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-m3-digital-portable-music-player/reviews/14785

Jan 25, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #6,630 of 7,793
  I have the Fiio X1, fiio M3, and the Sandisk Clip+(Rockboxed), Sandisk Clip zip(Rockboxed) and Sandisk Sport. If you care about size and weight, and especially if you plan to keep the player in a shirt pocket, the Fiio X1 is likely to be uncomfortably large and heavy for you. My Fiio X1 stays at home. The Fiio M3 is likely to be better suited for you as it is much smaller and lighter than the X1, and has much longer battery life. Having said that though, the firmware for the M3 still has glitches, such as occasional stuttering noises, and often not playing tracks in order based on track numbers. There are some other firmware glitches as well. For now I stopped using my M3 until the firmware is updated and these issues are fixed. The last firmware update decreased the frequency of the stuttering, but didn't solve it completely. The buttons on the the M3 are also annoying though. What don't you like about the Clips? If it is the power output, the Fiio M3 will play much louder. The screen on the Fiio M3 is much larger. The M3 is listed as having 24 hours of battery life vs just 11 hours for the X1. I haven't tested the battery life on these.

Read my Fiio M3 review. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-m3-digital-portable-music-player/reviews/14785

Thanks JK1....you have helped me out a great deal. I will probably eliminate the M3 from consideration as a result of your reply. As I stated, i am looking for for a quality player. The problem is that generally as quality increases, so does size. Since size is priority #1, I am trying to find the "best" small player. My Clips were good not only because of their size, but also because of their convenient clip. My Sony's are a little larger, but still small enough for me.........I use a lanyard around my neck with them. If the new player had a way to attach a lanyard, that would be a plus (it would be acceptable even if I could buy a case through which a lanyard could be attached). The Xduoo X2 has a nice size......I'm also considering the Xduoo X3, only because it appears to be a better player than the X2. However, it may be a little too large (10.5 x 4.5 x 1.4 cm compared to 7 x 4 x 1 cm for the Xduoo X2). I am willing to buy a player a little larger, only if its a significantly better player.  My ideal player would best be described as a tiny jewel.......I'm not sure if there is such a player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back