The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
May 31, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #5,821 of 7,793
So for the knob I don't the press the volume control in my X1 I can just use the one on the nx1? Ok I am a noob what does the high and low gain do and how do I decide which one to use?

When using an amp you only use the amps volume control. No need to use X1 volume buttons, in line out mode X1 sends a strong signal (quite loud) to the amp, you just open the amps tap (volume) to let the signal flow so to speak.

Depending what headphone you're using, it's impedance, sensitivity you may need high gain which increases the volume further for harder to drive headphones. You cannot hurt anything so don't worry.

I assume you're waiting for your NX1 to arrive? It's very easy.

1) connect the amp.

2) switch X1 to line out mode.

May 31, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #5,822 of 7,793
When using an amp you only use the amps volume control. No need to use X1 volume buttons, in line out mode X1 sends a strong signal (quite loud) to the amp, you just open the amps tap (volume) to let the signal flow so to speak.

Depending what headphone you're using, it's impedance, sensitivity you may need high gain which increases the volume further for harder to drive headphones. You cannot hurt anything so don't worry.

I assume you're waiting for your NX1 to arrive? It's very easy.

1) connect the amp.

2) switch X1 to line out mode.

Thanks yeah I am waiting for it to arrive so I am guessing my HD 558 only needs to set to low instead of high

May 31, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #5,823 of 7,793
Thanks yeah I am waiting for it to arrive so I am guessing my HD 558 only needs to set to low instead of high

Low gain will be fine, but you can experiment for yourself to see which gain setting you prefer most.  I found low just fine for the HD558.  High gain was a little to loud for my taste.

May 31, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #5,824 of 7,793
Low gain will be fine, but you can experiment for yourself to see which gain setting you prefer most.  I found low just fine for the HD558.  High gain was a little to loud for my taste.

Thanks

May 31, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,826 of 7,793
It's funny...I bought the stacking kit at the same Line Out cable and I hate it.  The amp I'm using, the Oppo HA-2 will not allow me to use the X1 and my amp at the same time with that cable as it always either blocks the volume pot or the headphone out on my amp.  So yeah, I need to go back to the X3 as it has the line out port on the right top instead of the left.  :)  1st world problems clearly.

Jun 1, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #5,827 of 7,793
The select line out mode where is that located

Is it the support in line headphone control

Or is it that select output with the box and arrow or something

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #5,828 of 7,793
Yep - its the select output option.

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #5,829 of 7,793
  Yep - its the select output option.

so basically hook the amp into the x1 select the box and arrow and i am good?

sorry i am kinda ocd lol :p

Jun 1, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #5,830 of 7,793
Yep - that's pretty much it :)

Jun 1, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #5,832 of 7,793
  It's funny...I bought the stacking kit at the same Line Out cable and I hate it.  The amp I'm using, the Oppo HA-2 will not allow me to use the X1 and my amp at the same time with that cable as it always either blocks the volume pot or the headphone out on my amp.  So yeah, I need to go back to the X3 as it has the line out port on the right top instead of the left.  :)  1st world problems clearly.

The line out wanders around positions on the X1, X3, X3 gen II, and X5.  Well, it actually shares a position on the X1.

The planets were originally called the wanderers by the ancients because they moved around the sky quickly compared with stars. 

So therefore, it would seem, the line outs on FIIO units are planets.  There is some modern logic for you.  Or modem logic. 

Getting punchy late in the day.

Jun 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #5,834 of 7,793
"No" to the first question, and "I've never bothered to find out" to the second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back