The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Sep 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #2,536 of 7,793
  Hello all, a long time lurker around these forums, but finally decided to create a account here!

I received my FiiO X1 today and boy, I AM IMPRESSED! However, I have a quick question to ask.

For the firmware upgrading part the quick start guide states "Choose a TF card with FAT32 File system, preferably a blank card with capacity at or under 32GB"

I have the intention of getting a 64GB microSD card and just dump my music inside the player. I would like to know what are the "risks" of updating the firmware with a 64GB card or a microSD card that is isn't blank. Will it brick my player or cause any issues? I'm rather hesitant to purchase another microSD card  just to update my player.

This is my first device that actually uses a microSD card (hence I do not have a single microSD card with me), so I will purchase one tomorrow to officially start using the player.

The 32gb and clean card thing is just a guideline. You'll be fine putting it on a 64GB card that has music on it. Just be sure to format the card within the player itself before putting music on it. Once there's a fw update for the X1, just put it on the root directory of the card and follow the update instructions

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,537 of 7,793
  Memory may be failing me, but has anybody reviewed the X1 vs the X3 yet ?  Particularly interested in the sound quality evaluation.

Have you checked the review/link George posted a few post above your link?
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,538 of 7,793
  AVShop on Amazon UK also has it in stock

Just put an order in a few hours ago actually. I ordered Shure SE535's last week and decided to get a decent DAP for them while waiting for the Geek Wave to come out next spring/summer. Damn impulse purchases... 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,539 of 7,793
Have you checked the review/link George posted a few post above your link? :wink:

The headfonia review compares favorably with my own impressions. The HO is really the weak link for the X1 in my opinion also. It sounds much better when you use it with LO and an amp. It sounds much better to me with the sap-5 and the form factor is a great match.

The sap-5 fits great due to size and it's flat service. The rubber band in this position does not interfere with any buttons and is suspended slightly above the surface of the wheel, so that works perfectly too. There is enough room for two bands there, if you need a more firm bonding.

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,544 of 7,793
I looked into this thread and some others and have read conflicting information regarding the use of format on the Micro SD cards.
I know that the X1 will read Fat32 format as this is what is needed for the FW updates as well. I have also read that it can read ExFat format but will not allow the FW update to be written to that format.

I am still waiting on my X1 and have my 64G cards already filled waiting for its arrival. They were pre-formatted as ExFat. So I am hoping that I don't need to erase those and reformat and then load all my music back. I think I have a smaller 8G card that I can use exclusively for the FW updates and format that to Fat.

Can anyone confirm any of this for me?

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #2,545 of 7,793

I don't know. I have contacted the cc company and filed a non receipt of merchandise complaint. Maybe they will force them to issue a refund.

If I remember correctly, it is a violation for a company to charge your card before they have the merchandise. I would submit the email where he states he doesn't have the product along with the email showing the threat. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,546 of 7,793

I don't know. I have contacted the cc company and filed a non receipt of merchandise complaint. Maybe they will force them to issue a refund.

Sounds like a case for the consumer rights agency if you have something similar where you live.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #2,547 of 7,793
bruce1967;

A free and clear "chargeback" is almost certainly in your future. As stated, they should not have charged you so far apart from shipping. You asked for a cancellation which is reasonable and they refused.

The chargeback is almost certain to follow in your favor.

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,548 of 7,793
  I am still waiting on my X1 and have my 64G cards already filled waiting for its arrival. They were pre-formatted as ExFat. So I am hoping that I don't need to erase those and reformat and then load all my music back.

Can anyone confirm any of this for me?

The X1 didn't recognize the music on my 64GB card after formatting it as ExFat on my Windows laptop.  I had to put my card in the X1 and format it for the music to be recognized.  There was a post from James at FiiO just recently stating that ExFat would be supported in a future firmware update.

Here's the post from the X1 World Tour thread... http://www.head-fi.org/t/729177/fiio-x1-preview-world-tour-first-member-preview-posted-p-7-german-x1-tour-see-op/150#post_10916654

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,549 of 7,793
Compared to the AK players the X1 of course is miles behind but it wouldn’t be fair to compare it to them either. Is the X1 better sounding than an iPod? Yes, when using the Line Out but the big advantage of the X1 is that it plays all the High Res file types and that’s something your normal iPod won’t do. So yes, it does do better than a standard iPod. I only just received the ibasso DX50 and DX90 and I will be comparing the X1 to both of these once I had some time with both of these players. The Fiio X3 might be the X1s biggest competitor but it doesn’t have the great User Interface and button lay-out of the X1 and that’s too bad. Personally I prefer the more detailed and clear sound of the X3 by far. The X3 has a bigger sound stage and pretty much sounds better all the way with better bass, mids and treble and with a lot more detail. The X3 might miss some smoothness in the mids but it’s a better sounding player (running on the latest firmware). For me the perfect combination would be the X1 device with the X3 sound section.

http://www.headfonia.com/fiio-x1-99-dap/2/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back