The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #587 of 1,039
So my A5's volume pot started to show crackling noise when being adjusted.
How do I fix it? Do I have to dissemble the unit to clean up the potentiometer or do I need a replacement? Thanks in advance

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #588 of 1,039
So my A5's volume pot started to show crackling noise when being adjusted.
How do I fix it? Do I have to dissemble the unit to clean up the potentiometer or do I need a replacement? Thanks in advance

If the sound is clean while you're not adjusting the volume, then leave it like that, there's no defect and no problem

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #591 of 1,039
I've run across the same problem with my E12. As well as my preamp in my rig. just gently turn the volume control back and forth a dz. or so times and the problem should dissapear ('til the next time!:wink:)

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #592 of 1,039
Hi guys,

I thought I had just decided to buy the FiiO A5 to pair with my LG V20 smartphone as I want more power/volume to push my new Philips Fidelio X2's and I thought I could just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and then connect my headphones to the A5 but I've been reading through this thread and I've seen George mention that this isn't a good way to do it, double Amping etc...

If I get a USB OTG from my LG V20 I'm assuming this'll give me a line out clean signal to the A5, but am I correct in thinking that it won't have the sound signature from my phone's DAC?

So basically I'll get a flat lifeless signal from my LG V20 into another flat lifeless signal in the A5?

Is there a way around this?

If I buy a DAP with a DAC will this still be a flat signal if it uses a Line Out? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advice you can give :)

Jul 26, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #593 of 1,039
Hi guys,

I thought I had just decided to buy the FiiO A5 to pair with my LG V20 smartphone as I want more power/volume to push my new Philips Fidelio X2's and I thought I could just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and then connect my headphones to the A5 but I've been reading through this thread and I've seen George mention that this isn't a good way to do it, double Amping etc...

If I get a USB OTG from my LG V20 I'm assuming this'll give me a line out clean signal to the A5, but am I correct in thinking that it won't have the sound signature from my phone's DAC?

So basically I'll get a flat lifeless signal from my LG V20 into another flat lifeless signal in the A5?

If I buy a DAP with a DAC will this still be a flat signal if it uses a Line Out? Or am I missing something here?

Line out will retain the sound signature of your phone (in this case) sound signature, what it does is just bypass the amp in your phone. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

In my honest opinion, the only reason I want to avoid double amping my source is because I don't like the sound of my source. To be more specific, the sound of the amp of my source.

If you love the sound signature coming from your source then you want to keep in mind that double amping it will change the sound signature of source because there is an amp in fiio A5 too.

As for suggestion, I will recommend trying out Oppo HA-2se as it has the same DAC as your phone (better do double check yourself for confirmation), cheer.

Hope that the way I explained was understandable, don't hesitate to correct me if I am wrong.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #594 of 1,039
Hi guys,

you can try smth like the q1 mk2, its a dac/amp, usb in from ur phone to use the dac.

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #595 of 1,039
Hi guys,

I dont think the A5 will have issues while double amping. However, if you get a DAC/amp then you wont be using the DAC on the V20 but bypassing that and using the DAC in the DAC/Amp combo. Now if i am correct in understanding, you do like the SQ on your LG V20? right? i dont see double amping degrading the SQ in anyway here however someone who can correct me is most welcome. I have used the A5 while double amping and it has never been a problem for me.

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #596 of 1,039
Thanks guys, and yes I do like the sound signature of the V20, I'm just concerned that having a digital only out into a clean amp will leave my music lifeless, I thought when using lineout it bypassed the DACs sound signature altogether?

It looks like either I just try a connection from my headphone out to the A5 and see how it goes or I get a DAC/AMP and use that with my phone?

One of the reasons I liked the look of the A5 was due to its power output, it seems higher than others at a similar cost? Apart from the K5, if that has a USB in then as I do most of my listening at home then I could use a mains powered AMP/DAC?

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #597 of 1,039
Thanks guys, and yes I do like the sound signature of the V20, I'm just concerned that having a digital only out into a clean amp will leave my music lifeless, I thought when using lineout it bypassed the DACs sound signature altogether?

It looks like either I just try a connection from my headphone out to the A5 and see how it goes or I get a DAC/AMP and use that with my phone?

One of the reasons I liked the look of the A5 was due to its power output, it seems higher than others at a similar cost? Apart from the K5, if that has a USB in then as I do most of my listening at home then I could use a mains powered AMP/DAC?

When using LO, it completely bypasses the amp stage of that particular device but doe use the DAC section.

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #598 of 1,039

When using LO, it completely bypasses the amp stage of that particular device but doe use the DAC section.

Just to add it up, if it bypass the DAC "sound signature" it means that the DAC is not functioning at all................. this means that there will be no sound coming out from your source at all.................... DAC is the one responsible in processing the sound since it is a Digital to Analogue Converter which converts the binary code of your "song" to Analogue signal.................... cheer, just visit a local store to audition it because no matter how much we discuss about it or how bad we described it, in the end of the day it all goes down to your personal preference.........................

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #599 of 1,039
Actually the 'Line Out' port was my reasons to purchase a DAP and a DAC.
Because of the 'double amping' issue I had to buy Fiio E17K to decode signals from my iPhone, MBP so that I can justify my subscription of Tidal Hi-Fi and the money paid for Hidizs AP60.
And because my then sources other than iPods didn't have LO port, I had to buy Xduoo X3.

Let me tell you my mistake this year for deciding to go budget gears instead of higher-end.

After I got myself so many cheap Chinese earbuds, I decided to have a Chinese DAP to reduce my iPhone storage usage. I got Hidizs AP60 but wasn't impressed at all because it sounds very colored/ distorted (rolled off bass) via HP port, so I think adding a USB DAC between it and the A5 would make AP60 less painful to own (I only use it for burning-in other equipments). Because of those problems I had to buy Xduoo X3 for less flawed sound and a LO port so that should it fail again like AP60 did, I can basically add an Amp and still have the benefit of X3 Cirrus house sound which I really like. Despite decently impressive sound quality, the X3 itself is flawed in some ways e.g. pitch error, horrible and sluggish UI, channel swap after fast forwarding, etc. I came to a conclusion: budget gears definitely have unacceptable (it's ****ing easy to fix) flaws in some ways. So I finally realized Budget-Fi aren't for me and moved up to Mid-Fi range (again, after dwelling in this sector for years with MS1i and JH/AK Michelle) and got myself Beyer DT990 and MS Pro which was the main reason for the purchase of A5.
I should have spent all the money I paid for AP60, X3, E17K for a decent DAP from a reputable manufacturer. That DAP would give me more beautiful and smaller form factor, UI, warranty, financial liquidity, and because the signal travels less, the SQ maybe better than the route I'm taking.. (Nice DAP alone or Nice DAP+A5 instead of AP60+E17K+A5)

Luckily E17K DAC department doesn't color the sound much compared to when it's used as DAC+Amp combo.
I'm currently using A5 with iPods with 30-pin connector, and Xduoo X3 via LO while waiting for E17K.

Sorry for digression, though I dont feel guilt lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back