The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jul 27, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #601 of 1,039
I think the V20 has line out via USB OTG, but I'll have to double check that?

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #602 of 1,039
Does the LG V20 even have a line-out? Can the headphone port be configured in software to serve this function?

I think the V20 has line out via USB OTG, but I'll have to double check that?

Just to correct it, when you connect a DAC to your V20 via micro usb or usb type c, the DAC built in the V20 will be bypassed however the "DAC" of your DAC will be used.......... "Line out" basically means bypassing the internal amp of your source.

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #603 of 1,039
That was basically my question. Line-out is an analog signal configured to mimic the pre-amp output. The V20 wound need a separate 3.5mm port for line-out (or an option in software to configure the amplified headphone-out port to bypass the amp and convert it to line-out) if one wanted to connect it to an amp only. I didn't see a second 3.5mm port in online images so was wondering if such a software option was available. Just curious...

Jul 28, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #605 of 1,039
If the headphone out is clean (and all I hear about is what a great "audiophile" phone it is), then double amping doesn't mean "jack" (pardon the pun). Its only an issue if you're further amping a noisy input. So I can't see the issue personally.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #606 of 1,039
If the headphone out is clean (and all I hear about is what a great "audiophile" phone it is), then double amping doesn't mean "jack" (pardon the pun). Its only an issue if you're further amping a noisy input. So I can't see the issue personally.

If we want to be technical, the THD can only grow when amping an amped signal.

Not having heard that phone in particular, I won't comment on it, but I heard most phones and LG phones, and was not that impressed. Maybe some of them could reach the level of a fiio x1 in a good day, but to date no phone reaches the Sonic level of HiFiMAN Megamini or x3ii, nevermind other levels of detail, clarity, separation between instruments and such. It is kinda like some phones, or most, are noisy.

Again, V20 might be an exception, but I wouldn't recommend double amping it's signal if we compare the solution with getting a DAC or a dedicated DAP with Line Out.

Jul 28, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #607 of 1,039
With respect George - neither you nor I have heard the LG - therefore we don't know. And if you have a clean signal where the levels of THD are well below the threshold of audibility, and amplifying that signal still leaves the noise below the level of audibility - what does it matter?

Jul 29, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #608 of 1,039
With respect George - neither you nor I have heard the LG - therefore we don't know. And if you have a clean signal where the levels of THD are well below the threshold of audibility, and amplifying that signal still leaves the noise below the level of audibility - what does it matter?

I mean, you are correct in this perspective. I will try to hear the phone when I have the chance, it Sparks my curiosity to hear so many audiophiles call it good sounding.

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #609 of 1,039
As far as my knowledge goes, V20 doesn't have any option it setting for a line out, so you'd be double amping it's heapdhone output signal.
If I may, I would say that having a line out on a player is nice really, I don't want to kill anybody's vibe when looking for this option, but in my opinion as Brooko say in real life double amping don't mean anything really. Phone headphone outputs are designed to act as a line driver when connected to a line in. A line in has an impedance that is so much larger than a pair of headphone that the gain of the amp is negligible, so you are not really "double amping". Line out just mean bypassing the opamp but to be technical the output signal of a phone out is still an unamped line level signal. It's a misconception that it will amplify the noise. Of course this is just generally speaking and some outputs are not designed to feed a line in but in a lot of case it is. I wouldn't worry about pluggin a LG V20 in a line input of anything.

Jul 30, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #610 of 1,039
If I may, I would say that having a line out on a player is nice really, I don't want to kill anybody's vibe when looking for this option, but in my opinion as Brooko say in real life double amping don't mean anything really. Phone headphone outputs are designed to act as a line driver when connected to a line in. A line in has an impedance that is so much larger than a pair of headphone that the gain of the amp is negligible, so you are not really "double amping". Line out just mean bypassing the opamp but to be technical the output signal of a phone out is still an unamped line level signal. It's a misconception that it will amplify the noise. Of course this is just generally speaking and some outputs are not designed to feed a line in but in a lot of case it is. I wouldn't worry about pluggin a LG V20 in a line input of anything.

Sorry to throw another perspective into the mix but in my experience double amping even low noise amps in series (IBasso D14 -> FiiO E12/A5) adds audible noise which sounds like clipping in the case of a sine wave or piano harshness in the example of Ryan Farish music. This is because the 1st amp is sending out current as well as voltage designed to drive headphones not increase the line signal for another amp.

Of course double-amping is unavoidable in pre-amp/power-amp setups or if you hook your rig to the car but audio purists would want to avoid this for quality listening.

Jul 30, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #611 of 1,039
Sorry to throw another perspective into the mix but in my experience double amping even low noise amps in series (IBasso D14 -> FiiO E12/A5) adds audible noise which sounds like clipping in the case of a sine wave or piano harshness in the example of Ryan Farish music. This is because the 1st amp is sending out current as well as voltage designed to drive headphones not increase the line signal for another amp.

Of course double-amping is unavoidable in pre-amp/power-amp setups or if you hook your rig to the car but audio purists would want to avoid this for quality listening.
You are correct, I am talking mainly about the headphone outputs of phones. Your D14 has an output power about 40 times larger than most phones. In that case I agree that you are right. current is the issue not voltage The LG V20 don't release their output power but they use the Amp embedded in the ES9018P DAC chip . It's safe to assume since this chip was designed for HIFI "mobile" that it's not that powerful but I don't know. It state 2 V RMS output voltage. Line level output operates at less than that nominally but thats in the range of operation of a line out. Just for complement, we know here that headphones impedance are typically, if not always under 600 ohms. Line in have well above 10K ohms Impedence. So that extra current needed to drive headphones is not that significant but again, in most cases, not all.

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #614 of 1,039
i saw that too, however the dealer had one review and it was one star..i dunno if (reputable) is a good way to describe it
Not that one. Another one, sold by a camera store, for 39.99. I guess it sold out quickly. Last I checked there was 16 left, I snagged a few myself. Got them in the mail a couple of days ago.
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 10.12.33 PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back