The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jun 24, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #571 of 1,039
Don't worry about it!

I'm glad to help!

If you're looking for something more neutral, but with a volume wheel, maybe there are other AMPs that better suit your tastes. FiiO should be releasing more fun stuff soon as well.

A5 does sound smooth and the energetic treble of ESS is much more alive throgh something like say, FiiO X7 + AM03 for example.

Even so, A5 is probably the AMP I would recommend best at its price point, which is really low.

Thank you very much...... well I will try to save my money a little right now.... hopefully Fiio will release a new amp soon because Fiio A5 has been lying for quite a while.

The a5 is pretty transparent. Not much color at all.

Noted, thank you.

Jul 11, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #572 of 1,039
hi i just want to ask. i currently have hd6xx that i use with a dragonfly red and a schiit vali 1. i want to ask if adding the fiio a5 is an upgrade to my system or just a sidegrade. my mobile gear is a fiio x5iii

Jul 11, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #573 of 1,039
hi i just want to ask. i currently have hd6xx that i use with a dragonfly red and a schiit vali 1. i want to ask if adding the fiio a5 is an upgrade to my system or just a sidegrade. my mobile gear is a fiio x5iii

It would really depend on what sound you're gong for with your setup, A5 might be an awesome upgrade if you like its sound.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #574 of 1,039
Hey guys I'm currently using Fiio A5 and just got myself a Beyer DT990 250 ohm.
Will I be able to pair it with my new cans? Is the A5 powerful enough to drive my Beyers at low gain?
I dont know much about the distortion in high gain (I dont hear it), but since many sites suggest using low gain whenever possible, I really hesitate to switch to high gain when I listen to some quiet tracks (eg tracks with high DR). Any of you here use the A5 at high gain?? And with what cans

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #575 of 1,039
Will I be able to pair it with my new cans? Is the A5 powerful enough to drive my Beyers at low gain?
I dont know much about the distortion in high gain (I dont hear it), but since many sites suggest using low gain whenever possible, I really hesitate to switch to high gain when I listen to some quiet tracks (eg tracks with high DR). Any of you here use the A5 at high gain?? And with what cans

I always listen to high gain on everything and never noticed a problem! You should listen and enjoy what sounds best to your own ears!

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #577 of 1,039
Basically I want to upgrade my Schiit Vali. Would the Fiio A5 be an upgrade? In terms of power and how well it can drive my hd6xx?

I would lie if I said I know the answer to that, never heard Vali or any Schiit product...

On the other hand, I know that A5 is a great AMP and it has a fair chance to improve your already existing audio chain!

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #578 of 1,039
The Vali is more powerful (1W into 32 ohms) compared to A5 (800mW into 32 ohms).

The A5s advantages are portability and also bass boost and gain control.

Sonically (subjective) I hear it as pretty neutral - which is what an amp should be.

If you're looking for a portable option - obviously the A5 wins. If you're solely looking at desktop use - there is no real advantage unless you need the bass boost, and you currently find Vali less than optimal in terms of noise etc

Ultimately decide based on use rather than sonics

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #579 of 1,039

Yes. The A5 drives my DT880 250 ohms perfectly on low gain. IMO, no need to use high gain. I can't hear any distortion on any gain setting on A5. It's a very good amp.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #580 of 1,039
Just picked up an A5 from the forum, looking to pair it with my Fiio X3 2nd gen and my HD650's. At my new office I can use my open backs pretty easily without bothering anyone, which is sweet.

Looking forward to trying this out!

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #581 of 1,039
This is a great amp, I use it with a first gen X5 I got cheap and the sound from my heavily modded K702s is absolutely fantastic for a mobile setup.The A5 passes detail the E12 blurred. Synergy galore too!

IMG_20170508_235627.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #582 of 1,039
Yes. The A5 drives my DT880 250 ohms perfectly on low gain. IMO, no need to use high gain. I can't hear any distortion on any gain setting on A5. It's a very good amp.
Do you use it at full volume on low gain?
For me most tracks sound fine and loud enough at that point. If it's at full volume, then wouldn't that extreme volume introduce clipping?

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #583 of 1,039
Do you use it at full volume on low gain?
For me most tracks sound fine and loud enough at that point. If it's at full volume, then wouldn't that extreme volume introduce clipping?

No, low gain at full volume will be ear damaging level. Maybe your source it's a little weak? At 3:00 o'clock on low gain it's pretty loud. I can't go beyond that. No distortion heard at that level. The volume increase from low to high gain it's very pronunced so maybe you can let the amp on high gain fine tuning your desirable volume with the pot.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #584 of 1,039
My source is not weak at all. Maybe I just listen too loud lol.
I use Xduoo X3 which outputs 1.5Vrms to line out.
I set the volume pot to 4-5'o clock or more for dynamics-rich 16/44.1 tracks.
Some quiet Hi-Res aren't loud enough even at full volume on low gain.
Anyway, the pot stops at 7'o clock, right?

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #585 of 1,039
Oh, and (un)fortunately I've had 2 Fiio A5s, both brand new, and one did have some defects (not sure if it's from channel imbalance or line in connector problem). Fiio Thailand (local distributor?) is now handling the matter for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back