The Fiio A5 thread: an upgrade of E12A, MUSES02+LME49600, 800mW, 19Vp-p, 12 hours
Jun 2, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #556 of 1,039
Unfortunately, it was both the in and out jacks.
I tried multiple line cords for the unput and multiple headphones also to include adapters.
(note, my opinion) It seemed like the jacks were basic soldered to the board and only thing limiting movement was the hardware case.
As previously stated, I have the x5 3rd gen and I don't experience any where near the movement of the jacks as I saw in both the A5s I experienced.

-poto

I had similar problem with E12 (had to keep fiddling with the cable between X3 line out and E12 to maintain connectivity). It turned out to be the cable. It was difficult to diagnose the problem with continuity testing on the cable since the break was very position- and strain-dependent.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #557 of 1,039
Just went through and verified because Fiio asked, it was from two different sellers within amazon so I don't think the sold me back the same device.

-poto

I had no problems with an A5 when I briefly heard one at AVstore. Maybe there is a bad batch out there that had those problems and you just happened to have two pieces from that same batch, or maybe the store sent the one you sent back...

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #558 of 1,039
Just went through and verified because Fiio asked, it was from two different sellers within amazon so I don't think the sold me back the same device.

-poto

That's interesting and good to know. Either way, you can always ask FiiO for a replacement since they're known to help their customers when something like this happens.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #559 of 1,039
Hi guys

New owner of an A5 which I bought from Amazon.

Does anyone have a problem with clicking noise coming from turning on the unit?

If I twist the volume knob to switch it on, after 2 secs or so, there is a "click" coming from inside the unit

Likewise, if I turn it off, I can also hear a click after 2 secs coming from inside the unit.

Also, turning on or off with the volume button produces a "double click" sound.

I've owned the old A3 and it doesn't have this issue

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #560 of 1,039
Hi guys

If I twist the volume knob to switch it on, after 2 secs or so, there is a "click" coming from inside the unit

Likewise, if I turn it off, I can also hear a click after 2 secs coming from inside the unit.

That's the safety relay common with current headphone amps designed to prevent the power up/down of the amp damaging the headphone membranes.

Jun 3, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #561 of 1,039
@ceemsc Thanks for the explanation! I thought there was something wrong as I didn't have this issue with the older models

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #562 of 1,039
Hi guys

Dear friend,

This is the sound of the relay. When you plug the headphone, the relay will make them connect to avoid the impulse sound. But we didn't add the relay in the A3.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 10, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #563 of 1,039
Hi all I want to know if it's a good buy to get e12a iem special edition for $70 comparing to a3 and a5 in terms of value?

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #564 of 1,039
Hi all I want to know if it's a good buy to get e12a iem special edition for $70 comparing to a3 and a5 in terms of value?

Depends, if you can get E12A for 70$, it is a good option! A5 is better, considerably better when I heard it, but I don't own one and without having one in my hands it is hard to say, but I remember that it is better than E12, E12A or A3!

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #565 of 1,039
20170621_215027.jpg

Just got my a5 in and paired it up with my plunge audio analog producers. Pretty awesome amp and completely mops the floor with my old c421.

Jun 23, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #567 of 1,039
I know I had asked this question tons of times, in your opinion, does the Fiio A5 change the original sound signature of your source?

A5 should be somewhat smooth and transparent, knowing that it relies on MUSES 02 which are fairly musical and smooth on the top end.

Do you want something to spice up your original source signature? I have not heard a single AMP that doesn't change something so far, literally all of them had a signature of their own, but they all are fairly transparent and FiiO AMPs in general have been pretty good in my experience.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #568 of 1,039
A5 should be somewhat smooth and transparent, knowing that it relies on MUSES 02 which are fairly musical and smooth on the top end.

Do you want something to spice up your original source signature? I have not heard a single AMP that doesn't change something so far, literally all of them had a signature of their own, but they all are fairly transparent and FiiO AMPs in general have been pretty good in my experience.

Huh, interesting...well it seems like I will always get the same impression out of everyone about this unit, of course I will still prefer to have the "Saber Glare" sound from my Aune m1s to be unchanged but I hate controlling volume by using button..... that is why I opt for an amp that uses potentiometer. Thank you very much and also sorry for troubling you for replying the same question over and over again.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #569 of 1,039
Huh, interesting...well it seems like I will always get the same impression out of everyone about this unit, of course I will still prefer to have the "Saber Glare" sound from my Aune m1s to be unchanged but I hate controlling volume by using button..... that is why I opt for an amp that uses potentiometer. Thank you very much and also sorry for troubling you for replying the same question over and over again.

Don't worry about it!

I'm glad to help!

If you're looking for something more neutral, but with a volume wheel, maybe there are other AMPs that better suit your tastes. FiiO should be releasing more fun stuff soon as well.

A5 does sound smooth and the energetic treble of ESS is much more alive throgh something like say, FiiO X7 + AM03 for example.

Even so, A5 is probably the AMP I would recommend best at its price point, which is really low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back